Sign in with
Your question

What size PSU for new basic build.

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2009 1:30:49 AM

Hi
I am starting my new build for a DAW with occasional video editing. Using Sony Vegas so I will NOT be using a delux video card as Adobe Premier requires. No gaming, or other stuff just recording and some vid editing.

My question is...
I currently have a Antec True 430w PSU which ran my old system great. The old system was basically the same system as now except I had Pentium-4 2.6mghz, less ram and IDE hard drives... I'm upgrading the CPU/mobo and hard drives to sata....but I don't know if the Antec 430 will be enough for my new CPU quad core... I'm keeping the build lean and basic and will have no internet or video cards except for a basic one used in the old system to run two monitors.

System is this..

Intel i7 920 CPU
Asus PT6 SE "special edition" meaning its the cheap pt6 without SLI stuff.
WD Caviar Black 1TB drive-sata
WS Caviar Black 640Gig drive-sata
1 DVD Burner IDE
6gb Coarsair Ram 12800 3x 2gig
1 M-audio 10/10 delta PCI card as sound card.. this is a breakout box with it own power supply.

Will the older Antec True 430 be adequate? Thanks for any help.

More about : size psu basic build

August 18, 2009 1:42:43 AM

Im not seeing a video card in there, also a few things, if you are buying from newegg get the OCZ platinums, cheaper and better timings than most triple channel kits. The 430 watt PSU might be pushing it depending on its age and what graphics card you add to it. Other than that it looks pretty good, if you do need a new PSU this one should suffice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 18, 2009 1:43:12 AM

if it was new the antec would probably be enough , but as psu's age the out put drops

Spend some $$ on a decent 500 - 550 watt unit since you have so much invested in the rest of the hardware
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2009 1:43:58 AM

Yes it will, but be aware that as power supplies age their capacitors degrade. If it's over 5 years old i'd replace it just as a precaution.
m
l
August 18, 2009 2:23:52 AM

hunter315 said:
Im not seeing a video card in there,

Thanks for all the quick responses... YES, I should buy a new PSU but I'm hoping I can get by for another month or two because this system upgrade cost quite a bit...if it will hurt my new build having this older PSU I will buy a new one. The Antec 430 I have is about 2 years old.

My graphix card is my older ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128M. if that makes a difference for the PSU.
I only use it to do the two monitors set up...

m
l
August 18, 2009 2:34:26 AM

god no, not unless you plan to run a couple of high end graphics cards for gaming at 1920x1200. But for a 9600XT and an i7 that 500 watt PSU will provide plenty of power, most of the power in a modern system is used by the graphics card and the CPU, since your GPU requires very little you have plenty for your CPU and other components.

However i was just checking out the 9600XT, it seems to be an AGP card which no modern motherboard will support, you can get a 4650 and still be well within the power supply's limits.
m
l
August 18, 2009 2:52:14 AM

hunter315 said:

However i was just checking out the 9600XT, it seems to be an AGP card which no modern motherboard will support, you can get a 4650 and still be well within the power supply's limits.

Well... that is too bad. Last thing I want is to do my build and not be able to see anything on the screen... my parts will be here probably tommrow or the next day...
Excuse my ignorance what Brand is a 4650? The last computer I built was about almost 4 years ago and I don't keep up with the computer scene in between my builds...so I'm not very up to date. I got the specs for this build from the videoguys and lurking on Tom's Hardware then just bought the stuff thinking I could use some of my older parts...like the vid card and power supply...
m
l
August 18, 2009 3:03:46 AM

Your current PSU will me more then enough, despite being 2 years old. Most high end single gfx rigs barely crack 300watts under load.
m
l
August 18, 2009 3:10:29 AM

hunter315 said:
It is the HD 4650 from ATI,

I suggest that one, $50 is pretty cheap for a graphics card, once you go back to older generations they tend to start increasing in price again.

Thanks so much, now I know what you are talking about... I thought I had done the research but as usual a couple year and computers leap forward exponentially. Heck I might spend the 20 buck more and get one with HDMI incase I ever bring my big screen into the studio. Heck I might even buy a game now....

Thanks for the quick answers everyone, think I got it now.... and thanks Tom's Hardware for having this rocking forum that is so informative.
m
l
!