Stuck OCing a 955BE

I've had my Athlon 955BE for almost 2 yrs now and have been running it at a mild overclock of 3.4ghz, but recently I've been trying to see how far I could push the chip.

I'm able to achieve a 100% stable 18.5x multiplier, giving me 3.7ghz on stock voltages with no issues. Temps are in the low 30's at idle and mid-high 50's deep into Prime95.

However, when I go for 3.8ghz, I'm running into serious issues. I get BSOD almost immediately on stock voltage. Increasing the voltage allows me to boot into Windows, however running a Prime95 results in a BSOD within a minute or two. I've attempted a voltage as high as 1.45v

I realize several people with this CPUs have to increase the voltages beyond 1.45v to achieve a stable 3.8ghz overclock, but it seems odd to me that my I would have to increase the voltage so much over stock, when stock is fine at 3.7ghz.

Is that as unusual as I think it is? Is there something else I should be looking at? Or is 3.7ghz just the logical place for my particular CPU to end up?
6 answers Last reply
More about stuck ocing 955be
  1. Firstly, what are you running for cooling and what are the resulting temperatures?

My 965 will boot at 4ghz but crash if it goes above 57 C (core temps) under any kind of stress testing. I can run 3.8ghz stable @ 1.38 volts with my $17 Rosewill heatsink!

Are you keeping everything else default? (NB, HT, RAM, etc?) How about their voltages?
  2. you need a better cooler than the stock one. The best value for money cooler that should get you to 4ghz is the coolermaster hyper 212+.
  3. I'm running a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 for cooling (purchased 2 years ago with the CPU)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

Temps are in the low 30's at idle and mid-high 50's deep into Prime95. I've seen this chip run as >60 without issues when I've had airflow problems previously.

I haven't touched the frequencies or voltages of anything else... I'm not even sure where I'd start there.
  4. I would keep an eye on the temps and see if it crashes at the same temp multiple times. Some of these chips just don't run well overvolted past a certain temp. Mine has shown me that many times. I've settled on 3.8ghz as the best OC with my cheap/quiet heatsink.

I can run the NB @ 2.6ghz and 1.25volts with the cores at 3.8ghz and 1.38volts. The HT doesn't like going above 2.2ghz even with increased voltage. This is on a 890fx mobo with good VRM (very little vdroop, if any).
  5. It didn't seem to be temp related. I observed it BSOD anywhere from the high 40's to the high 50's.
  6. Maybe you got a "dud" cpu. I happens to the best of us...
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Blue Screen Product