What is the best/fastest memory for my intel i72600k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saudi_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hello,
I have a i72600k in an intel Desktop Board DP67BG. I allowed the autotune to overclock it but the memory is not achieving it's rated 1600MHz. Can you reccomend faster memory?

Solution
Unless you have specific software than benifits from the increased bandwith, I'd go with DDR3-1600. I use ripjaw DDR3-1600 CL7, but even here ther is very little (no noticable) improvement over CL 9. Which ever, go with the 1.5 V version (Intels spec for SB is max Ram voltage of 1.575 V)
Quote:
We also found that memory bandwidth does scale with CPU clock speed; however, it still doesn't translate into any meaningful real-world performance. The sweet spot still appears to be DDR3-1600. All of the extra performance gained by overclocking almost certainly comes from the CPU overclock itself and not from the extra memory bandwidth.
End Quote. Ref: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/8...
Unless you have specific software than benifits from the increased bandwith, I'd go with DDR3-1600. I use ripjaw DDR3-1600 CL7, but even here ther is very little (no noticable) improvement over CL 9. Which ever, go with the 1.5 V version (Intels spec for SB is max Ram voltage of 1.575 V)
Quote:
We also found that memory bandwidth does scale with CPU clock speed; however, it still doesn't translate into any meaningful real-world performance. The sweet spot still appears to be DDR3-1600. All of the extra performance gained by overclocking almost certainly comes from the CPU overclock itself and not from the extra memory bandwidth.
End Quote. Ref: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/8

If your DDR3-1600 is not running @ 1600 selecting faster Ram will not correct. Skip autotune. In bios either set the values manually (most recommended method), or select use XMP profile one (What I've been using and not had a problem with).

Solution

Saudi_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

I got approximately 8% performance increase (tested with prime95) by simply swapping to ripjaw as suggested. However I take something from all answers and I thank you all very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.