Sign in with
Your question

Will this 4TB RAID 5 array work?

Last response: in Storage
June 5, 2011 12:14:15 PM

Hey dudes -

I'm planning to put together a new computer with an Intel 320 120gb SSD as the boot disk, and I want to build a RAID 5 array for storage with 3 2tb disks. I'm planning on using the Gygabite GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard which has UEFI. Since the large 4TB RAID volume won't be the boot drive will Windows 7 be able to see all 3.6TB or whatever of space, or do you expect I'll run into problems trying to have a storage volume of this size?

I'm considering the SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb for $80 a pop over at Newegg. Any thoughts on this drive in a RAID 5 environment?

I've had a 2tb RAID array of 3 1TB disks for a while now, but I'm still very
novice with this RAID business. Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

More about : 4tb raid array work

a c 84 G Storage
June 5, 2011 1:57:59 PM

as far as I know Windows7 will recognize the 4 TB just fine since it is not the boot drive
a c 279 G Storage
June 8, 2011 7:16:51 PM

You will have to initialize the newly-created volume, in Disk Mangler, as a GPT volume, not a MBR volume.

RAID 5 will consume resources computing checksums, and I don't think that the chipset will do it in hardware. Rebuilding the RAID5 volume after a drive failure will take hours, if not days. Consider, perhaps, 0+1? Just a thought.
!