Sign in with
Your question

Noob Question: How do i setup Sata 6Gb/s?

Last response: in Storage
June 5, 2011 1:25:08 PM

Hi,

As mentioned in the title, i'm quite stuck on how to setup Sata 6Gb/s and which i have googled and can't find info much regarding the matter. I've currently setup up the hdd to my existing setup but I dont believe that its running at 6Gb/s. Would there be anyway to check how fast its running currently? I have the Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB in size (more info:http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=792&language=1). A guide to setting it up would be great! :) 

These are my specs:

PROCESSOR: AMD PHENOM II X4 965 BE @ 3.4Ghz
MOTHERBOARD: MSI 890FXA-GD70
RAM: CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2 x 2GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory
GRAPHICS CARDS: -XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB
-Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 Vapour X 1GB
PSU: XFX P1-850B-NLG9 Black Edition 850W Modular Power Supply

More about : noob question setup sata 6gb

a c 386 G Storage
June 5, 2011 2:38:11 PM

There is nothing special that needs done for sata6. I'm sure it's working fine as no drive barely reaches the sata 3gb/s spec.

Try using the free version of hdtune (listed as 2008).

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html
June 5, 2011 3:14:10 PM

ah yeah, i do already have HD tune pro but i thought the 6gb/s data transfer speed could've been possible :/ .
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
June 5, 2011 4:37:37 PM

No hard drive has platters that spin fast enough to require 6Gbit/sec SATA. The maximum transfer rate of the fastest hard drives is way under 3Gbit/sec. 6Gbit/sec SATA is only required for the fastest Solid State Drives which aren't limited by mechanical speeds.

Think of it like the speed limit on a highway - just because the speed limit is 60MPH, it doesn't mean that bicycles are going to travel at that speed.
June 5, 2011 6:14:57 PM

sminlal said:
No hard drive has platters that spin fast enough to require 6Gbit/sec SATA. The maximum transfer rate of the fastest hard drives is way under 3Gbit/sec. 6Gbit/sec SATA is only required for the fastest Solid State Drives which aren't limited by mechanical speeds.

Think of it like the speed limit on a highway - just because the speed limit is 60MPH, it doesn't mean that bicycles are going to travel at that speed.

Ah thanks for that, will definitely keep it in mind! Will have to hope to what the future brings i guess :) .
!