Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vertex 3 via PCI Controller Card

Last response: in Storage
June 5, 2011 4:33:35 PM

Hi Guys, i would like to purchase Vertex 3 120gb but my Motherboard(GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2) won't get full speeds in sata 3 coz of the marvell Controller:/ so i was wondering if i'll get speeds via a pci controller card with sata 3...

Thanks In Advance,Alex
a b G Storage
June 7, 2011 7:34:17 PM

You mean a PCIe card, right? Then yes, you can get full speed if you install a SATA 3.0 PCIe card.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
June 8, 2011 12:55:24 AM

Hi Alex,

Checked on your motherboard GA-X58A-UD3R, and it shows 6 SATA 3Gb/s ports on the Intel southbridge, and 2 SATA 6Gb/s ports (SATA3_ 6 and SATA3_7 ports) from the Marvel 9128 controller. So the OCZ Vertex 3 will perform at the SATA III rates.

Depends if your are using Win-XP or Win-7, and if you were considering using the SSD as your system drive with a fresh install. It can be tricky (fussy) loading the Marvel driver in initially so it is functional when you install the OS on the SSD, connected to the Marvel controller.

But it will work OK. Check the manual page 10 where it lists the specs.
Very impressive SSD!
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2011 2:25:21 PM

Well, firstly thank you very much for your time! and yes i will be using the ssd for boot drive and for some games...i have heard if i uninstall the marvell drivers and go with the MSAHCI i could get some good speeds 380MB/s (read) so it's fair enough for the controller and the platform..
m
l

Best solution

a c 104 G Storage
June 19, 2011 3:10:34 PM

Hi again,

If you are going to install the SSD as a clean install, be sure in the BIOS to choose the ACHI feature for SATA drives which will give you increased
sdd speed plus SATA being hot swappable and the NCQ feature. It's not a Marvel controller feature.
June 27, 2011 8:47:30 PM

Best answer selected by Skevosamurai.
m
l
!