denoc9

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I just put a e8400 in my a6319fh hp desktop and now my power supply wont turn off when i power down my pc.How can i fix this?And yes i installed the driver software.

Solution
You may want to reset your BIOS to default settings. Or, clear the CMOS (read in your motherboard manual how to do this). It sounds like the motherboard isn't powering off everything properly. The reset to default might help.

You may want to check if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard, too.

denoc9

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
yes im sure.well i had a 2180 processor and well i just bought a e8400 so as soon as i got it i took mine out and put the e8400 in.When i loaded up for the 1st time it said new hardware found so it automacially installed and when i shut down everything turns off except my power supply.The model # of the pc is a6319fh chipset g33 thats all i can really tell u i dont know much.

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm confused by "only" the power supply doesn't turn off. How do you know that's the only thing "on"? The screen goes black, but do you still hear all the fans going?

Choose to shutdown, then unplug the power cord from the wall (or back of the power supply). Give it a full minute. Then plug back in and see if it powers up normally and shutsdown normally.

denoc9

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

i should have said i opened the panel and looked and saw the power supply fans still spinning and yes i did wait but it doesnt turn off.

denoc9

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

dont understand mine as well be talking to a wall.i gave u all the info i have if u cant answer as if u where talking to a child dont bother cuz im not understanding.

denoc9

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

yes in the bottom it said NEW HARDWARE HAS BEEN DETECTED.it auto installed and asked me to restart so i did.

When you opened the case, were the case fans or CPU fan on as well as the power supply fan?
If you don't have any power supply fans, were there any lights on on your motherboard?
And as Branflakes71 said, did you try unplugging the computer from the wall, waiting a full minute, then plugging it back in to see if it would boot and shut down normally again?

denoc9

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

My cpu and psu are both running after i hit shut down from the start window.Should i have installed any software from upgrading my 2180 to a e8400?i reformatted and still is doing it.

denoc9

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

nothing it seems to work great.just my cpu cooler wouldnt turn off but after i shut down all i did was hold the on/off button down for like 10 secs and it did turn off.

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you done what I suggested before, which is to physically unplug it from the wall outlet (or UPS if you have it plugged into one)? I'm not sure by your answers.

Basically, the first test is to see what happens after a complete and total shutdown (only accomplished by disconnecting it from an outlet). Then we can troubleshoot further.

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You may want to reset your BIOS to default settings. Or, clear the CMOS (read in your motherboard manual how to do this). It sounds like the motherboard isn't powering off everything properly. The reset to default might help.

You may want to check if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard, too.

Solution

denoc9

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

ty so much.Updated the BIOS and now it turns off. ;)