Solved

E8400 power wont turn off

I just put a e8400 in my a6319fh hp desktop and now my power supply wont turn off when i power down my pc.How can i fix this?And yes i installed the driver software.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about e8400 power wont turn
  1. Are you sure you are turning it off and not putting it in standby?
    If not, can you expand any more on your problem?
  2. yes im sure.well i had a 2180 processor and well i just bought a e8400 so as soon as i got it i took mine out and put the e8400 in.When i loaded up for the 1st time it said new hardware found so it automacially installed and when i shut down everything turns off except my power supply.The model # of the pc is a6319fh chipset g33 thats all i can really tell u i dont know much.
  3. Let me get this straight:
    You installed the processor and when you booted up, windows detected the processor then installed drivers for it?
  4. I'm confused by "only" the power supply doesn't turn off. How do you know that's the only thing "on"? The screen goes black, but do you still hear all the fans going?

    Choose to shutdown, then unplug the power cord from the wall (or back of the power supply). Give it a full minute. Then plug back in and see if it powers up normally and shutsdown normally.
  5. if you installed a new cpu, it's best to clear cmos before you install it to or after you installed to prevent troubles that may happen later
  6. branflakes71 said:
    I'm confused by "only" the power supply doesn't turn off. How do you know that's the only thing "on"? The screen goes black, but do you still hear all the fans going?

    Choose to shutdown, then unplug the power cord from the wall (or back of the power supply). Give it a full minute. Then plug back in and see if it powers up normally and shutsdown normally.

    i should have said i opened the panel and looked and saw the power supply fans still spinning and yes i did wait but it doesnt turn off.
  7. ubernoobie said:
    if you installed a new cpu, it's best to clear cmos before you install it to or after you installed to prevent troubles that may happen later

    dont understand mine as well be talking to a wall.i gave u all the info i have if u cant answer as if u where talking to a child dont bother cuz im not understanding.
  8. enzo matrix said:
    Let me get this straight:
    You installed the processor and when you booted up, windows detected the processor then installed drivers for it?

    yes in the bottom it said NEW HARDWARE HAS BEEN DETECTED.it auto installed and asked me to restart so i did.
  9. When you opened the case, were the case fans or CPU fan on as well as the power supply fan?
    If you don't have any power supply fans, were there any lights on on your motherboard?
    And as Branflakes71 said, did you try unplugging the computer from the wall, waiting a full minute, then plugging it back in to see if it would boot and shut down normally again?
  10. enzo matrix said:
    When you opened the case, were the case fans or CPU fan on as well as the power supply fan?
    If you don't have any power supply fans, were there any lights on on your motherboard?
    And as Branflakes71 said, did you try unplugging the computer from the wall, waiting a full minute, then plugging it back in to see if it would boot and shut down normally again?

    My cpu and psu are both running after i hit shut down from the start window.Should i have installed any software from upgrading my 2180 to a e8400?i reformatted and still is doing it.
  11. Have you noticed any localised time dilation effects yet?

    If you do then there are likely some serious concerns for the rest of us if you still haven't managed to turn it off.

    /worried
  12. Reynod said:
    Have you noticed any localised time dilation effects yet?

    If you do then there are likely some serious concerns for the rest of us if you still haven't managed to turn it off.

    /worried

    nothing it seems to work great.just my cpu cooler wouldnt turn off but after i shut down all i did was hold the on/off button down for like 10 secs and it did turn off.
  13. Have you done what I suggested before, which is to physically unplug it from the wall outlet (or UPS if you have it plugged into one)? I'm not sure by your answers.

    Basically, the first test is to see what happens after a complete and total shutdown (only accomplished by disconnecting it from an outlet). Then we can troubleshoot further.
  14. yes i did.Evertime when i wanna turn off i have to hit the power button for 10 seconds
  15. Best answer
    You may want to reset your BIOS to default settings. Or, clear the CMOS (read in your motherboard manual how to do this). It sounds like the motherboard isn't powering off everything properly. The reset to default might help.

    You may want to check if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard, too.
  16. branflakes71 said:
    You may want to reset your BIOS to default settings. Or, clear the CMOS (read in your motherboard manual how to do this). It sounds like the motherboard isn't powering off everything properly. The reset to default might help.

    You may want to check if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard, too.

    ty so much.Updated the BIOS and now it turns off. ;)
  17. Glad it's working. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Power Supplies Hewlett Packard Power