Sign in with
Your question

Computer crashes alot (details)

Last response: in CPUs
November 11, 2009 8:23:32 PM

Okay here is my story. About 4 months ago I bought an Asus Essentio desktop from bestbuy (link below). Now the like is to a newer model of this computer that seems to have solved these problems. But this computer suffers from chronic crashes, Im talking 2-3 times a day, sometimes I see the BSOD and sometimes the screen goes black then nothing. I have tried EVERYTHING I could think of, I replaced the cpu fan, upgraded from windows vista to windows 7 (I even installed 32 bit in case of 64 bit being too unstable). Im at the end of my rope, I cant find a solution, and its really starting to interrupt my gaming. Now it seems to happen when im starting windows and everything loads, when I try to start a program it will crash, also when Im trying to connect to a server in a computer game it will also crash, but that seems to be the only times it happens. It wont happen once I pass about a minute after I start the computer and while im in a game already connected to a server.

So im asking for help, I am willing to try anything I just need some help.

Link to the updated computer its basically the same but mine has an Nvidia GTX220 vid card and 720gigs of HDD
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essentio+Desktop+wit...
November 11, 2009 8:25:27 PM

Post the BSODs codes, so we can get more information about your problem.
m
l
November 11, 2009 8:30:32 PM

can you tell me how? because when I do get BSOD the screen is VERY distorted, I cant read anything on it.
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2009 8:31:49 PM

google on how to read the mini dump file
m
l
November 11, 2009 8:34:26 PM

You can also try to find a program called bluescreenview by NirSoft.
It will give you the information for the last blues screen your system had.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2009 8:34:34 PM

Check ur RAM, the modules might be going bad
m
l
November 11, 2009 8:41:03 PM

im in the process of getting the dump file... also the RAM in brand now, and its 4 sticks of 2gb each.
m
l
November 11, 2009 8:42:43 PM

If you have windows 7 32bit you will only see 4GB of ram instead of your 8GB.
It doesn't have to do with your problem but just so you are aware of that.
m
l
November 11, 2009 8:58:49 PM

okay im having trouble opening the .dmp file, I tried a couple tutorials on the internet using debugger tools for windows but it keeps saying the file in inaccessable and needs permission to read... or corse im the admin so I have permission tho.
m
l
November 11, 2009 9:11:12 PM

Now I am trying the bluescreenviewer and I dont even see the .dmp file in the box when I have the folder selected in the options.
m
l
November 11, 2009 9:21:59 PM

okay basically any program I try to open the .dmp file with dosent work because it says I need permission to view the file...... I have tried running the programs as admin too.... no luck, I really need help here....
m
l
November 11, 2009 9:52:48 PM

We could probably go into alot of trouble shooting but since it is under warranty, take it back and let the geeks handle it.
m
l
November 12, 2009 8:22:37 AM

dbzfan1000 said:
okay basically any program I try to open the .dmp file with dosent work because it says I need permission to view the file...... I have tried running the programs as admin too.... no luck, I really need help here....

You can take ownership of the .dmp file. Google for the method for whichever OS you currently have installed.
m
l
November 12, 2009 9:49:33 AM

I was able to open an older version of my .dmp file with bluescreenviewer... there is ALOT of stuff, what do you need to know?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 1:19:03 PM

Please post the model of the Asus Essentio PC you have...
I can say I have an IBM Lenovo... but there are hundreds of different models.
For example, is it a Asus Essentio CS5110 ?

If you have 4 sticks of ram, run the computer with 1 single bar.
Try to reproduce the problem, if the problem persists, try another bar.
Also, are they 4 of the same or did you add an extra 2x2 ?

For an issue like that you have to run the computer with the strict minimum.

The biggest possibility is ram, please confirm that the computer crashes even when using 1x2gig... also considering you are using a 32bit os now... it will rule out the too much ram issue.

(When all is fixed, you NEED 64bit os for anything more then 3 gigs)
m
l
November 12, 2009 2:05:50 PM

okay ill give it a try, ill get back you you guys at the end of the day... I have the essintio cg5270, but like I said, they upgraded the model with new hardware. also it came with the RAM, 4 sticks of 2gb each.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 2:24:50 PM

If it's under warranty send it back - opening the thing up and handling components will probably void your warranty and then you'll just get blamed for anything that proves to be wrong.
m
l
!