Sign in with
Your question

MY CPU IS AT 40-50% DOING NOTHING!!! HELP!

Last response: in CPUs
November 11, 2009 8:45:22 PM

I bought this computer in September 2009, it is my budget gaming rig. My CPU is Intel e5200.....Everything was always perfect......but now my internet is much slower.....and cpu ussage is always hight 40s.......Games and everything work fine its just the usage and internet........PLZ REPLY AND HELP.......

More about : cpu

a b à CPUs
November 11, 2009 8:49:29 PM

try to close all the background tasks
November 11, 2009 8:59:47 PM

crazy359 said:
I bought this computer in September 2009, it is my budget gaming rig. My CPU is Intel e5200.....Everything was always perfect......but now my internet is much slower.....and cpu ussage is always hight 40s.......Games and everything work fine its just the usage and internet........PLZ REPLY AND HELP.......

Yeah, and there are not any virus scans going are there?
Related resources
November 11, 2009 9:12:45 PM

its a good pc it can handle it all.......i run a scan no viruses........any ppl with experience?
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2009 9:29:23 PM

Slow internet and high CPU usage while doing "nothing" means a virus or spyware most of the time. I don't know what software you ran, but you need to make sure it's updated and may need to run an anti-spyware software, too, like Windows Defender. Not all anti-virus software checks for spyware.
November 11, 2009 9:30:28 PM

crazy359 said:
its a good pc it can handle it all.......i run a scan no viruses........any ppl with experience?

Experience? Kid, I work in Computer Support, and I've built more computers than you have brain cells. You apparently do not speak English very well. I asked you if there was a Virus Scan running when you noticed the high CPU utilization. Kill some processes, clean install, stop using crappy broswers or just quit your whining. If it runs okay why does it matter how high the CPU usage is? Even my E8600 at work uses 10 to 20% idle at times. You are getting free tech support and all you do is trash talk me. Who do you think you are? Learn some grammar skills while you are at it as well.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2009 10:08:14 PM

Quote:
Experience? Kid, I work in Computer Support, and I've built more computers than you have brain cells. You apparently do not speak English very well.

Dude - lay off....no need for that. :non: 

What Version of windows are you using?
I know it's a longshot, but I found that on my PC (Vista 64bit), the windows sidebar occasionally starts a second process in Task Manager and sits there using 40-50% of my CPU. Probably the same for 32bit....

I have found that when this happens it (aside from obviously running and opening programs slower) also limits my download speed, as when I stop the process or close the sidebar, my downloads and everything starts cranking again.

So if it happens again, check to see if you have a sidebar process running in task manager and see if its using up your CPU.

November 11, 2009 10:13:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Experience? Kid, I work in Computer Support, and I've built more computers than you have brain cells. You apparently do not speak English very well.

Dude - lay off....no need for that. :non: 

What Version of windows are you using?
I know it's a longshot, but I found that on my PC (Vista 64bit), the windows sidebar occasionally starts a second process in Task Manager and sits there using 40-50% of my CPU. Probably the same for 32bit....

I have found that when this happens it (aside from obviously running and opening programs slower) also limits my download speed, as when I stop the process or close the sidebar, my downloads and everything starts cranking again.

So if it happens again, check to see if you have a sidebar process running in task manager and see if its using up your CPU.

Okay I admit I took it a bit to far, and I am sorry crazy359, but you badmouth free support, and use English that makes hardly any sense, it's hard for me or really anyone to try and help you. There could be a million reasons, we could really use a little more information.
November 11, 2009 10:23:12 PM

virus 99% sure
November 11, 2009 10:30:10 PM

if its not anything totally disasterous, the common culprits are:
a. background processes (all sorts of security suites or "optimizers")
b. spyware got in deep
c. bloated OS

u said u just got the comp so c. could be an issue.. or all of them..
easy fix: uninstall stuff like crazy and get slim, trusted apps,.. or get a clean install with and tweak it to perfection
November 13, 2009 12:45:26 AM

wow......u do need to chill......i was not running any virus scans when i checked......now it is running at about 10% and lower which i guess is back to normal?

I did run a scan and it found two viruses....right after i deleted them my cpu usage was still at 40%.....but today i turned it on and its fine.....

well thanks for reply anyways guys......lol dont be so pissy
November 13, 2009 12:47:04 AM

and just sayin i build computers to and trust me i know alot about computers....its my passion lol....i was just lookin for ppl that had maybe the exact same problem....but its fine now I THINK
November 13, 2009 7:54:47 PM

crazy359 said:
and just sayin i build computers to and trust me i know alot about computers....its my passion lol....i was just lookin for ppl that had maybe the exact same problem....but its fine now I THINK
Look I'm sorry okay? I just don't think that you should have told me that I don't have experience just because I didn't give you an answer you liked. I am sorry that I couldn't understand what you were trying to say.
November 13, 2009 10:12:28 PM

yo lol im meant ppl with EXACT same problem.......not sayin u dumb and have no experience
a c 172 à CPUs
November 14, 2009 8:37:24 AM

The Burninator has got the best answer so far. Bring up Task Manager and check the Processes tab to see what is eating CPU cycles. If you do not recognize what is running, google it.
November 14, 2009 7:16:18 PM

i ran spy bot and it found everyhting and deleted it

THX GUYS
!