Sign in with
Your question

Help with i7 build!

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2009 3:09:05 PM

Hi, I'm in the process of building my first pc, and have got stuck on a couple of points. As a result some of the queries may seem a little foolish, so bare with with me!

Components:

Antec 300
i7 920
Asus P6T Motherboard (http://www.xicomputer.com/products/prodimages/Asus_P6T....)
XFX 4870 1GB
6GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHZ
Novatech 800W PSU
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
LG 22x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer DVD-RAM IDE Black

1) I only seem to have 1 PSU cable marked 'PCI-E' to go in to the GPU, although there are 2 power sockets on the card. Is this because the 800W psu provides enought power via 1 cable?

2) If I have the HDA line from the case plugged in, do I also need to find a slot for the AC'97, or do they do same job

3) The P6T doesn't seem to have a GPU retainer clip, although it does have a curious rubber 'hook' that continues beyond the PCI-E X16 slot, but won't correspond to the GPU (you can see these in the P6T link above). As a result the board seems to sag very slightly, putting pressure on the slot. Is this normal?

4) Will the stock cooler be ok until I decide to overclock?

5) Is it worth plugging the extra fans I've added into the relevant fan controllers (CHA) on the mobo? I've heard they don't really work...

6) Cabling: are there any key components I should draw the cables away from. I was planning on runing them down the lefthand side, and down underneath the HDD, without blocking the extra fans I've installed.

Many thanks for any advice, as keen to switch it on asap!

More about : build

August 18, 2009 3:18:07 PM

tmbj79 said:
Hi, I'm in the process of building my first pc, and have got stuck on a couple of points. As a result some of the queries may seem a little foolish, so bare with with me!

Components:

Antec 300
i7 920
Asus P6T Motherboard (http://www.xicomputer.com/products/prodimages/Asus_P6T....)
XFX 4870 1GB
6GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHZ
Novatech 800W PSU
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
LG 22x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer DVD-RAM IDE Black

1) I only seem to have 1 PSU cable marked 'PCI-E' to go in to the GPU, although there are 2 power sockets on the card. Is this because the 800W psu provides enought power via 1 cable?

2) If I have the HDA line from the case plugged in, do I also need to find a slot for the AC'97, or do they do same job

3) The P6T doesn't seem to have a GPU retainer clip, although it does have a curious rubber 'hook' that continues beyond the PCI-E X16 slot, but won't correspond to the GPU (you can see these in the P6T link above). As a result the board seems to sag very slightly, putting pressure on the slot. Is this normal?

4) Will the stock cooler be ok until I decide to overclock?

5) Is it worth plugging the extra fans I've added into the relevant fan controllers (CHA) on the mobo? I've heard they don't really work...

6) Cabling: are there any key components I should draw the cables away from. I was planning on runing them down the lefthand side, and down underneath the HDD, without blocking the extra fans I've installed.

Many thanks for any advice, as keen to switch it on asap!

Your Novatech PSU (A Cheapy) may only have 1 PCI-E Cable. Too bad, you NEED two. You only need the HDA plugged in, they're both audio. No idea about the P6T. A good aftermarket cooler is only $40. (XIGMATEK Dark Knight) I don't see the point in controlling fan speed. I took all my excess cables and stuffed them in the top Hard Drive cage.
August 18, 2009 3:27:00 PM

I've never heard of Novatech for PSUs before, so I don't know a whole lot about its quality. I looked it up and only found it on Novatech's site that does not provide the most important specs like what amperage the 12v rail is rated at. I do find it a bit concerning that they make it a point to say that it's "compatible with P3 and P4's." I'm tempted to say that the 90's have called, and they want their PSUs back.

for high def audio, just forget about AC'97, you're right, they do the same thing.

Not sure what you're talking about for the retainer clip.. all I know is that the P6T is one of the more popular boards out there, and if this retention mechanism was seriously flawed, it would not be such a popular board.

Stock cooler is fine if you don't overclock, it would be very irresponsible of the manufacturer to not do so.

as for your questions on fans, I'm all for simplicity. If my fans are spinning, it's not loud, and my temps are fine, that's good enough for me.
August 20, 2009 9:00:17 AM

Thanks for advice! I've ordered a corsair tx650w, which I should've done in the 1st place....
!