Which one is better AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad-Core Processor or intel core 2 dou

Solution

Well he didn't really say which one he was looking at so to say he is looking at a 99$ cpu is kind of stupid. The cheapest Core 2 is a 2.8GHZ part at 2.8GHZ. The only thing that I feel the AMD is missing is cache. Either way you will be fine. The AMD is more future proof, seeing as the LGA775 socket is dead. While the Core 2 may OC higher and may outperform the lower clocked AMD in certain applications.

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Depends on what you are running and the clockspeeds. For instance my old E7200 mostly spanked my Friends Phenom Tri Core, except in programs with more than 2 threads.

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

Well he didn't really say which one he was looking at so to say he is looking at a 99$ cpu is kind of stupid. The cheapest Core 2 is a 2.8GHZ part at 2.8GHZ. The only thing that I feel the AMD is missing is cache. Either way you will be fine. The AMD is more future proof, seeing as the LGA775 socket is dead. While the Core 2 may OC higher and may outperform the lower clocked AMD in certain applications.

Solution

Well if he was to go for the core2duo then he would have to purchase an Intel LGA 775 mobo. At this point it would be a waste of cash if he decides to go that route. Second, the x4 620 STOMPS on the e8400 ( 165.99$ )... It even beats the Q6600 in some tests. A core2duo upgrade is only suggested if the user already has an LGA 775 mobo, other than that there is no point in even thinking about Intel....

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-athlon-ii-x4-620-review-test/8

http://www.techspot.com/review/197-amd-athlon2-x4-620/page3.html

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Thing on Socket 775 is I don't think they are producing new chips for it which means yeah it may be a good platform, but not if you are looking to upgrade, which is why everyone suggests go with the AM3 architecture as there should be more products coming out for that for a while.

I understand.

I'm also thinking that things like the e8600, q9650, etc., will become much less expensive over time before EOL. You still face the DDR2/DDR3 thang, and the lack of an integrated memory controller with s775.

Don't get me wrong --- I like AMD (unlocked a 550BE yesterday :D ) --- but I also like the computing power (and cost) of tech that's a year or so removed from the 'bleeding edge' LOL

My point is the folowing, if someone decides to purchased a C2D or C2Q/board/ram they might as well save up a bit and get an AM3 or P55 platform. LGA 775 is not dead as of yet but its days are counted. LGA 775 has no upgrade path whatsoever, you will be able to install a C2Q if needed but once that quad starts to bottleneck your system you will endup spending more money in the end since you will have to basically upgrade everything again, meaning you ended up shelling out more cash when you could have upgraded correctly in the first place.

Could I interest you in a NIB Opty 165 or 170 ? I've still got a few left :D

loneninja

Distinguished

The only 2 people I personally know who own Q6600s don't overclock, so they're sitting at 2.4Ghz. lol

Personally I would get the Athlon II X4 over any Intel C2D/C2Q if building a new system. Much better upgrade path, especially now that Bulldozer is confirmed to be AM3.

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I agree with both statements, unfortunately I had a 775 system so a Q9550 made sense and personally I've had mine near 3.5GHZ without a fan; my E7200 wouldn't OC at all. I can't recommend the i5 as it sits in an awkward market position in my mind. For the extra $100 or so the 1366 machine will be a better choice over an 1156. AM3 is best for a budget build though.

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

It is an amazing processor, the problem for me, is that you are paying for DDR3 memory and only using it in Dual Channel. Maybe it is just me but it should have been Tri-Channel. Other than that it is a gem of a processor as are the 1366 i7's. Intel really should have only made one socket. The whole naming scheme is confusing. Sorry I'll end my rant with that.

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

Yeah I guess, I typically run RAM intensive programs, I've had 5 VMs up at once while running a remote desktop session or two. Even just idling Revit and sometimes AutoCAD use up to 3 gigabytes. I might see the benefit of P55 if I was only a gamer. For now, and until I can get Tri-Channel memory a little cheaper I'll stick to my old and trusty P45. AMD is kicking booty on the graphics front and the budget CPU arena, I'm so proud of them.

Exactly.... looks like you could use QUAD channel ram ;) , would be sweet too see 8 banks full of some hefty DDR3 :eek:

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

I know if I had that coupled with an 8 core/16 thread i9, I would be pretty dang happy. I'd would like one of the new pro openGL cards, but I am too cheap to buy one of those, oh well I'll get one for my box at work.

Pop79364

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I am new to this site so not sure where to look for a comparison between Intel and AMD here, but I have used www.cpubenchmark.net several times to find a good comparison and it is kept fairly up to date. It also lets you check out the speeds of most CPU's produced in the last 15 years for those of us who sometimes buy used to keep within a budget.
Once you get to the website just click the benchmark tab and find your CPU.