OC i7-2600k, voltage, benchmarks, heat, resetting on restart

LT2011

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
I am new to overclocking but not to computers. I am not a gamer. This is my new rig
i7-2600k,
P8P67 Pro
Corsair 4Gx2, 1600 mHz
Zelman nts9500.

I have read the recommendations from Asus experts. My issues are:

I can easily do 4653 with: 103mHz, 45 multiples. If I use 1.24V, peak cpu temp is ~60C, and it is stable with cinebench cpu stress test. If I use 1.25V, peak cpu temps are in mid-60s.
Both settings are stable with cinebench, but crashes with prime95.

Asus guys are recommending far higher voltage that really heats up cpu.
If I am NOT a gamer, and cinebench is stable, do I need to worry about prime95?

Antoher thing: I set OC through AI suite/win 7.
Most of the time when I restart the computer, OC settings go to default. Anyone else having same experience?
If I set OC through BIOS, would it make any difference?

Do the overclocking through the bios only. I've never gotten a stable overclock with any windows program. First try increasing the cpu multiplier, from 34 to 36...up to 48, depending on your temps. Maximum cpu temp at idle 50c. Under load, maybe 70c tops for brief periods of time. I personally wouldn't run the cpu voltage setting higher than 1.35 volts. I don't use prime95; never got it to run error free on some boards even at the default settings. Save your receipts for the cpu, and if it frys, you simply have to tell Intel it won't post anymore. I used Intel's retail box warranty once. They cross shipped a new cpu and I received it in about six days.

LT2011

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Do the overclocking through the bios only. I've never gotten a stable overclock with any windows program. First try increasing the cpu multiplier, from 34 to 36...up to 48, depending on your temps. Maximum cpu temp at idle 50c. Under load, maybe 70c tops for brief periods of time. I personally wouldn't run the cpu voltage setting higher than 1.35 volts. I don't use prime95; never got it to run error free on some boards even at the default settings. Save your receipts for the cpu, and if it frys, you simply have to tell Intel it won't post anymore. I used Intel's retail box warranty once. They cross shipped a new cpu and I received it in about six days.
My idle temps are usually in mid-20's.
I wonder why Asus people recommend higher voltages (that cause more heat) when you can get same speed with lower voltages.

My other rig is i7-920 with P6T-SE.
I easily get 4GHz without overheating when I use lower voltages.

If your system is stable on cinebench cpu stress test, but crashes with prime95, do you really need to worry about stability?
Prime95 also generates a lot more heat compared to cinebench.

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
one purpose they have in telling you to use a higher voltage is that it will sometimes result in a stabler over-clock and while it is true you can sometimes over-clock at low-voltages not all processors, even processors of the same series, are exactly the same. sometimes it will take a higher voltage to achieve a stabler over-clock although nothing incredibly high. pushing an i7 past 1.4v is not a good idea, in fact i keep mine no more than 1.35v and that is a peak under a heavy load in prime95, usually it stays around 1.325 and less when idling, typically just over a volt slightly