Flakey Motherboard with RAID 1 ?

jamers99

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I'm using the following:

ABIT AW9D MAX motherboard (bought in 2006)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe CPU (bought in 2006)
(2) Western Digital 750 GB RE3 (bought April 2009)
Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (bought April 2009)

I've been successfully running RAID 1 since April 2009. No problems to speak of other than the occasional Volume Rebuild after an akward shutdown.

Suddenly 2 months ago the volume kept failing. During the boot process it would indicate the volume was degraded but more importantly it would indicate "Error Occurred" for one of the drives. The only way to get the volume to rebuilt after that was to change from RAID to IDE in the BIOS and reboot, then change back again to RAID and suddenly there would no longer be an "Error Occurred" message for the one drive and the system would build the volumen again once booted into Vista 64.

This occurs about every 2 days, even while the computer is just sitting idle or I'm surfing the web. I have independently tested each WD hard drive using their software. I did the comprehensive test and each came up perfect. These drives are specially made for RAID.

Could this all be a sign that my Motherboard is starting to flake out? I was doing some very mild overclocking before but I have since reset it back to stock speeds and still having the issue. Please advise.

TRENDING THREADS