Sign in with
Your question

Failed "custom" system

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2009 5:53:57 PM

Hi my name is Adam, I'm new to this forum and i'm not entirely sure i'm posting in the rigth section, anyways here goes.

I've got a rig from Komplett.se when i bought it i chose some other components then what was originally thought for the rig.

Anyways I mostly use the computer for playing World of Warcraft and well. In crowded areas such as in raids i have 1-10fps making the game unplayable. I'm running at minimum settings even tho my GPU and processor to my knowledge should wipe the floor with the game even on max settings.

So this is what's in it:
Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit w/2 matched Value Select 1024mb
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.6GHz Socket-AM2 2Mb, Boxed w/fan
ABIT KN9 SLI, nForce 570 SLI, Socket-AM2, DDR2, 2xGbLAN, Firewire, ATX, 2xPCI-Ex16
Hiper ATX 530W 120mm fan, 4xSATA, 2xPCI-E, 20/24pin
XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640mb GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP, 320-bit
2x Samsung SpinPoint P120S 250GB SATA2 8mb 7200RPM NCQ
Windows XP MCE 2005

First I had some loss in FPS because I had the game on another harddrive then windows, afetr swapping harddrive i had alot higher FPS...for 1 day. After that it was back to the normal unplayable mode. In less crowded areas I can get up to 98 FPS (I've capped it at 60fps now tho because someone said that might help. Haven't really changed anything tho. In normal outdoor places I have 45ish FPS but as soon as I'm near over 17 other people casting their spells I'm sp low on fps i can hardly move.

If there is any info i missed that you need to help me/tell em what's up feel free to tell me what, and how to find it out.

Thanks in advance!
Adam

More about : failed custom system

a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2009 5:57:22 PM

what speed is th ram
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2009 6:02:11 PM

Turn the detail level up a little bit, not too much, if that doesnt hurt your FPS then you have a CPU bottleneck which can be solved through overclocking it if you are comfortable or a CPU upgrade.
Related resources
August 18, 2009 6:25:40 PM

obsidian86 said:
what speed is th ram

It's 667MHz

Quote:
Turn the detail level up a little bit, not too much, if that doesnt hurt your FPS then you have a CPU bottleneck which can be solved through overclocking it if you are comfortable or a CPU upgrade.

When i turn up particle density/view distance my fps stays 1-2 fps. when i lower them it's like 5-10 except of more "intense" fights.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2009 6:34:23 PM

Without knowing more I'm gonna say you messed up the install somehow. The game should have been loading and running faster if it was on a seperate Hard Drive unless that Hard Drive was slow. Besides I assume that your two hard drives are setup in RAID 0 aren't they? Anyway you could also have issues with your Internet connection which would drop your frame rates when there are alot of characters.
August 18, 2009 6:41:04 PM

megamanx00 said:
Without knowing more I'm gonna say you messed up the install somehow. The game should have been loading and running faster if it was on a seperate Hard Drive unless that Hard Drive was slow. Besides I assume that your two hard drives are setup in RAID 0 aren't they? Anyway you could also have issues with your Internet connection which would drop your frame rates when there are alot of characters.

Where do i check what type SETUP the HD got? i'm not suite sure tbh, the computer was originally installed bu the company "komplett" I've reformatted like 2-3 times since then due to various reasons. And on the subject of my connection slowing me down that's not the case. 24mbit net plus i have the exact same fps issues when the screen gets crowded playing Titan Quest Single Player. Thus I seriously doubt it's "lagg" caused by my connection.
According to a friend of mine Samsungs HD's are somewhat notorious for being really slow tho. might be the issue. but again i'm not sure.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2009 6:52:25 PM

Okay, since you are unsure of your HDD configuration it is definitely not RAID, you would have had to set that up. Slow HDDs wont slow you down much, they only really affect loading time and gameplay wont be affected by their speed.

Check your FPS in one of the places where you said you get 45ish.
August 18, 2009 6:57:43 PM

hunter315 said:
Okay, since you are unsure of your HDD configuration it is definitely not RAID, you would have had to set that up. Slow HDDs wont slow you down much, they only really affect loading time and gameplay wont be affected by their speed.

Check your FPS in one of the places where you said you get 45ish.

Okay just logged into a city with fps pending between 42-45. Changed video settings from all lowest to all at like 20% and fps dropped to 12-27
August 18, 2009 7:26:39 PM

my old rig, which i held onto as a second rig, uses the same CPU with an 8800gt and it's able to play crysis on high with better framerates, so yeah, theres definitely a problem, your system is well beyond this games reqs. Do you play any other games that you can test in so we can see if those FPS are also really low? Otherwise, i'd say do a fresh OS install, get the most up-to-date drivers for everything (GPU esp)... if you're running vista/7 try disabling aero theme, use task manage to check your memory/CPU usage while your computer is idle (or should be) and while you're in game both. This should narrow it down.

I'm not thinking its a hdd problem, or else you'd have incredibly slow load and boot times

could be a PSU issue... if you can look at the sticker on the side of the PSU and list the number of 12v rails listed as well as the amp rating on each, that might reveal something.

August 19, 2009 11:26:45 AM

Okay steiner, As I mentioned a few posts up I had the exact same issue FPS wise in Titan Quest as in WoW. And Yeah at times when i tab down WoW to open ctrl+alt+del I see ti at 50% of CPU, mind you as I have a Dual Core 50% is actually 100% of the core WoW runs on, however since all gaming companies found it an awesome idea to not make their games dual core compatible even tho the technology has been out there for ages the game doesn't even try to use the second core(from what i can understand) this leads me to believe this crappy ass AMD processor is the issue.

On the topic of new drivers, I do have the newest nvidia(GPU) driver and CPU driver. the company that made the motherboard no longer exists so the newest driver is like roughly one year old. And yes, the game runs alot smoother after i reinstall the OS....for 36 hours, then it's back to normal. and i really dont wanna reinstall my computer every 1½day.

I'm running on Xp MCE 2005 and was trying to switch to vista but when i installed vista it couldnt even recognize that my 8800GTS was connected making it unusable. So i'm back to XP.

My computer boots in less then 1 min so guess the HDD isnt the issue.

My computer really really should perform better I don't get why it wont do better. The thing is im hesitant to swapping out parts for newer better stuff since something in my rig obviously is "corrupt" and until I know what swapping out parts wont really do anything for me, and I don't feel like swapping out every piece of hardware until I find the culprit, I can afford it, but in that case I'd rather buy a all new rig tbh.
August 19, 2009 11:38:46 AM

Does your computer have good cooling? Maybe it slows down if you are running on high temps, as the most 3D programs may cause :)  Just trying to help, I'm not that Expert as the other guys on the forums ;) 
August 19, 2009 11:40:53 AM

The cooling isnt awesome but the computer doesn't get "hot" unless I play for over 16hours straight, but that doesn't happen that much anymore.
August 19, 2009 11:46:42 AM

Are you sure about that? Maybe the CPU Cooler isn't fastened corectly? Have you moved your comp the last past days or shakened it which might have caused any cooler to be slightly removed.

I'd suggest you take a look on your components and make sure they are fastened perfectly, and maybe you could use a new round of Grease on the CPU?
August 20, 2009 11:31:15 AM

tju2an said:
Are you sure about that? Maybe the CPU Cooler isn't fastened corectly? Have you moved your comp the last past days or shakened it which might have caused any cooler to be slightly removed.

I'd suggest you take a look on your components and make sure they are fastened perfectly, and maybe you could use a new round of Grease on the CPU?

Hmm, was raidign last night and ended up trying to play with the side of th computer removed so that the poor thing would get some air, just to try, the FPS was still terribad (7-12) but thats still playable compared to my average 1-5fps. Basically the computer ended up with the same bad performance it always has, however it didn't get worse the longer i played.

And yes, for some reason my computer gets REALLY loud at times, so far the only way of stopping it i've noticed is smacking it over the top....hard.
A few weeks ago that made it not launch at all, so I opened the case and made sure everything was fastened correctly. After that it launched again.

I'm off to see if the processor fan and whatnot is fastened properly.
August 20, 2009 12:00:42 PM

Is the real loud noise like a fan is hitting something? Like a wire? If it gets really loud it could also be the fans trying to overwork to keep it cool. You should probably get a temp monitoring program to check the temps while your playing to be sure.
August 20, 2009 12:10:52 PM

AceIlluminati said:
Is the real loud noise like a fan is hitting something? Like a wire? If it gets really loud it could also be the fans trying to overwork to keep it cool. You should probably get a temp monitoring program to check the temps while your playing to be sure.

Yeah, I've been looking for one of those programs, haven't found one yet tho. The noice is like the front fan thats between the case and the HDDs is hitting something, however so far i haven't managed to actually get to that fan because the front panel is stuck so I got no idea what's actually hitting it. Most of the time it doesn't sound those it just happens eveyr now and then at that point thers the stop right next to the power button i have to hit in the rigth angle, then it goes all quiet.
!