Sep 22, 2011
Hey everyone,

I just finished my build:

CM Haf X
Intel 2600k
Gtx 470
8gb G.Skill Ram
H100 - water cooler

For my H100 I picked up 4 of the 17db Cougar 12cm fans for push and pull. Needless to say my performance jump has been incredible. I have my 2600k OC'd to 4.9ghz stable after running prime for 30mins. I took the temps and they were 54c (averaged across all cores).

My question is that to get it stable I have it at 1.425 volts and I wanna know if this is a safe voltage to keep it at? I am a rookie and I don't know where the intersection between performance and longevity are.

Help would be appreciated!

Intel says that the upper limit is just over 1.500 Volts. From that aspect, you are safe. However, I read from other forums that the voltage on the i7-2600K should not exceed 1.375 Volts. This is subject to debate and interpretation.

As a general rule, electronics tend to degrade at elevated temps, and higher voltages do increase temps. - I cannot be more specific and give you a Voltage (heat) Vs. Life expectancy curve.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Well it depends on how long you want to be running this CPU for. There is no way for us to be able to tell you how long this will last. But in general I am one of those people who like to go with the side of caution.

Lets just say you maintain a OC at 4.3 at significantly lower voltage compared to 4.9 at your current 1.425 its a judgement call on your part on weither or not the decreased speed vs increased life of the CPU is worth to you.

And I would run prime for 12h before saying it's stable 24h if your cautious. 30min is too short in my opinion, and I would only use such a short time for the itnitial setup of trying to find where to OC it before I finalized it.

Intel's recommendation for max safe voltage is 1.52 volts. Any other recommendations or suggestions are just opinion.

My opinion is to not exceed 1.40 - 1.45 volts. Here's why:
Max safe voltage for 65 nm CPU's - 1.50 volts.
Max safe voltage for 45 nm CPU's - 1.45 volts.
Max safe voltage for 32 nm CPU's - 1.52 volts. {b]What?[/b]

If the pattern held true, the safe voltage should be 1.40 volts.

Good logic! Maybe that's why on some forum they suggested 1.375 Volts as the max.