Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sickness????

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:32:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

How do the sims get sick? Is it the roaches? If so, is there a hack so
that there will be no roaches? My Gilligan's Island crew has a heck of a
time with getting sick all the time. I've had them call the exterminator,
first time he killed everything, but the second time he said there was not a
problem, yet my sims were out stomping roaches :( 

--
---------------------------
Somewhere along the way I have lost my sense of humor.
If found, please return to..........
http://www.silvernblue.com/
or
http://livin-it-up.net

More about : sickness

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:37:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Bluegenie2 wrote:
> How do the sims get sick? Is it the roaches? If so, is there a hack so
> that there will be no roaches? My Gilligan's Island crew has a heck of a
> time with getting sick all the time. I've had them call the exterminator,
> first time he killed everything, but the second time he said there was not a
> problem, yet my sims were out stomping roaches :( 
>

There seems to be this myth that if you have no roaches Sims don't get
sick. I can guarantee you that's not the case. I think it's just a
random thing the game sets parameters for when you install it. I've
created families and moved them into brand new sparkling homes and they
get sick in five minutes.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:45:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Bluegenie2 wrote, On 22-7-2005 20:32:
> How do the sims get sick? Is it the roaches? If so, is there a hack so
> that there will be no roaches? My Gilligan's Island crew has a heck of a
> time with getting sick all the time. I've had them call the exterminator,
> first time he killed everything, but the second time he said there was not a
> problem, yet my sims were out stomping roaches :( 
>
I think they can also get sick from food gone bad and get infected from
visiting sims who are sick.

Bianca
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:45:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
news:42e14cda$0$96411$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> Bluegenie2 wrote, On 22-7-2005 20:32:
>> How do the sims get sick? Is it the roaches? If so, is there a hack so
>> that there will be no roaches? My Gilligan's Island crew has a heck of a
>> time with getting sick all the time. I've had them call the
>> exterminator, first time he killed everything, but the second time he
>> said there was not a problem, yet my sims were out stomping roaches :( 
>>
> I think they can also get sick from food gone bad and get infected from
> visiting sims who are sick.
>
> Bianca

Just imagine a household of 7 sims!!! They make each other sick over and
over and over again, lol. Heck, the skipper went and visited Jack and got
him sick too.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 6:55:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
news:QP-dnXHjOYPK0nzfRVn-pw@comcast.com...
>
> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> news:42e14cda$0$96411$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> > Bluegenie2 wrote, On 22-7-2005 20:32:
> >> How do the sims get sick? Is it the roaches? If so, is there a hack
so
> >> that there will be no roaches? My Gilligan's Island crew has a heck of
a
> >> time with getting sick all the time. I've had them call the
> >> exterminator, first time he killed everything, but the second time he
> >> said there was not a problem, yet my sims were out stomping roaches :( 
> >>
> > I think they can also get sick from food gone bad and get infected from
> > visiting sims who are sick.
> >
> > Bianca
>
> Just imagine a household of 7 sims!!! They make each other sick over and
> over and over again, lol. Heck, the skipper went and visited Jack and got
> him sick too.
>
>
MTS2 has a medicine cabinet that you can use to get well immediately again.
You can also use it to become immune to sickness. And for pregnancy tests.
Neat.

Jeanie
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 7:21:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
news:IkiEe.196028$nG6.62432@attbi_s22...
>
> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
> news:QP-dnXHjOYPK0nzfRVn-pw@comcast.com...
>>
>> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> news:42e14cda$0$96411$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>> > Bluegenie2 wrote, On 22-7-2005 20:32:
>> >> How do the sims get sick? Is it the roaches? If so, is there a hack
> so
>> >> that there will be no roaches? My Gilligan's Island crew has a heck
>> >> of
> a
>> >> time with getting sick all the time. I've had them call the
>> >> exterminator, first time he killed everything, but the second time he
>> >> said there was not a problem, yet my sims were out stomping roaches :( 
>> >>
>> > I think they can also get sick from food gone bad and get infected from
>> > visiting sims who are sick.
>> >
>> > Bianca
>>
>> Just imagine a household of 7 sims!!! They make each other sick over and
>> over and over again, lol. Heck, the skipper went and visited Jack and
>> got
>> him sick too.
>>
>>
> MTS2 has a medicine cabinet that you can use to get well immediately
> again.
> You can also use it to become immune to sickness. And for pregnancy
> tests.
> Neat.
>
> Jeanie

Is it uni only?

>
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 11:06:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
news:TKydnej7o8BVpnzfRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
> How do the sims get sick? Is it the roaches? If so, is there a hack so
> that there will be no roaches? My Gilligan's Island crew has a heck of a
> time with getting sick all the time. I've had them call the exterminator,
> first time he killed everything, but the second time he said there was not
> a problem, yet my sims were out stomping roaches :( 
>
> --
Hey! I have suddenly realised something. I don;t think I have had a Sim get
flue since I installed the EP - or perhaps something else has altered the
game play.

Whatever, only one Sim got food poisoning after I let him eat green Pizza.
Homer, naturally.

Anyone else noticed this? Puzzled.
Once I got used to it I quite enjoyed the flue epidemics. Was a useful tool
to wreak havoc.

V.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:31:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:32:38 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>How do the sims get sick? Is it the roaches? If so, is there a hack so
>that there will be no roaches? My Gilligan's Island crew has a heck of a
>time with getting sick all the time. I've had them call the exterminator,
>first time he killed everything, but the second time he said there was not a
>problem, yet my sims were out stomping roaches :( 

Sims get sick in several ways...
*Flu - Contracted from roaches or another sim, can apparently also
EITHER arise from a coworker having it, or can also be caught at work
regardless of wether or not another sim in the 'hood has it.
*Cold - Definately arises from going to work, I dont know if it's
contagious, I've never had a cold transfer to someone else in the same
household. I believe, if left untreated, can develop into pneumonia,
and result in death.

Then there's food poisoning, of course. There are various hacks. One
prohibits disease alltogether, one makes them non-contagious etc.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:30:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Veronica L wrote:
> Hey! I have suddenly realised something. I don;t think I have had a Sim get
> flue since I installed the EP - or perhaps something else has altered the
> game play.
>
> Whatever, only one Sim got food poisoning after I let him eat green Pizza.
> Homer, naturally.
>
> Anyone else noticed this? Puzzled.
> Once I got used to it I quite enjoyed the flue epidemics. Was a useful tool
> to wreak havoc.

No, I've had sickness twice post Uni. Yellow Banananana brought it home
from work, and three kids in the Main House caught the flu from roaches.

-georg
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 7:36:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
news:IsSdnWgXish7cnzfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
>
> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> news:IkiEe.196028$nG6.62432@attbi_s22...
> >
> > "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
> > news:QP-dnXHjOYPK0nzfRVn-pw@comcast.com...
> >>
> >> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> >> news:42e14cda$0$96411$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> >> > Bluegenie2 wrote, On 22-7-2005 20:32:
> >> >> How do the sims get sick? Is it the roaches? If so, is there a
hack
> > so
> >> >> that there will be no roaches? My Gilligan's Island crew has a heck
> >> >> of
> > a
> >> >> time with getting sick all the time. I've had them call the
> >> >> exterminator, first time he killed everything, but the second time
he
> >> >> said there was not a problem, yet my sims were out stomping roaches
:( 
> >> >>
> >> > I think they can also get sick from food gone bad and get infected
from
> >> > visiting sims who are sick.
> >> >
> >> > Bianca
> >>
> >> Just imagine a household of 7 sims!!! They make each other sick over
and
> >> over and over again, lol. Heck, the skipper went and visited Jack and
> >> got
> >> him sick too.
> >>
> >>
> > MTS2 has a medicine cabinet that you can use to get well immediately
> > again.
> > You can also use it to become immune to sickness. And for pregnancy
> > tests.
> > Neat.
> >
> > Jeanie
>
> Is it uni only?
>
I don't think so. I had it before I got Uni, I believe.
I'm hunting through MTS2 right now, looking for it for you and can't find
it. Looks like all hell broke loose over there and a lot of people left the
forums while I was gone for vacation. But most of them have shown up at
varioussimmers, so I guess I'll track it down for you eventually. I don't
think I redownloaded it after my reformatting.

Jeanie
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 7:36:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
news:butEe.197437$xm3.88403@attbi_s21...
>
> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
> news:IsSdnWgXish7cnzfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
>>
>> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>> news:IkiEe.196028$nG6.62432@attbi_s22...
>> >
>> > "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
>> > news:QP-dnXHjOYPK0nzfRVn-pw@comcast.com...
>> >>
>> >> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> >> news:42e14cda$0$96411$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>> >> > Bluegenie2 wrote, On 22-7-2005 20:32:
>> >> >> How do the sims get sick? Is it the roaches? If so, is there a
> hack
>> > so
>> >> >> that there will be no roaches? My Gilligan's Island crew has a
>> >> >> heck
>> >> >> of
>> > a
>> >> >> time with getting sick all the time. I've had them call the
>> >> >> exterminator, first time he killed everything, but the second time
> he
>> >> >> said there was not a problem, yet my sims were out stomping roaches
> :( 
>> >> >>
>> >> > I think they can also get sick from food gone bad and get infected
> from
>> >> > visiting sims who are sick.
>> >> >
>> >> > Bianca
>> >>
>> >> Just imagine a household of 7 sims!!! They make each other sick over
> and
>> >> over and over again, lol. Heck, the skipper went and visited Jack and
>> >> got
>> >> him sick too.
>> >>
>> >>
>> > MTS2 has a medicine cabinet that you can use to get well immediately
>> > again.
>> > You can also use it to become immune to sickness. And for pregnancy
>> > tests.
>> > Neat.
>> >
>> > Jeanie
>>
>> Is it uni only?
>>
> I don't think so. I had it before I got Uni, I believe.
> I'm hunting through MTS2 right now, looking for it for you and can't find
> it. Looks like all hell broke loose over there and a lot of people left
> the
> forums while I was gone for vacation. But most of them have shown up at
> varioussimmers, so I guess I'll track it down for you eventually. I don't
> think I redownloaded it after my reformatting.
>
> Jeanie

I found it but from a note at VariousSimmers by Carrigon in response to a
question. Then I went to Modthesims and looked up the creator, got the link
for his/her site and went and got it there.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/shaklin/index.htm
There is an elevator there too, haven't tried it yet tho.
I put it in a house, but then my game crashed, so I haven't put it anywhere
else yet :( 

>
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 7:55:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:t%oEe.59775$0i3.8571@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Veronica L wrote:
> > Hey! I have suddenly realised something. I don;t think I have had a Sim
get
> > flue since I installed the EP - or perhaps something else has altered
the
> > game play.
> >
> > Whatever, only one Sim got food poisoning after I let him eat green
Pizza.
> > Homer, naturally.
> >
> > Anyone else noticed this? Puzzled.
> > Once I got used to it I quite enjoyed the flue epidemics. Was a useful
tool
> > to wreak havoc.
>
> No, I've had sickness twice post Uni. Yellow Banananana brought it home
> from work, and three kids in the Main House caught the flu from roaches.
>
> -georg

Yeah. Hardly seems like a 5% chance, does it? More like a 90% chance.

Jeanie
July 23, 2005 8:46:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I haven't got time to reply to everything yet and I don't want to offend
those I haven't replied to yet, but I saw this in the Sims2 guide and
thought I would send a quick reply, considering I don't contribute in any
way to these groups besides asking dumb questions.
I hope this is of some use to you all. It has a table with the following:

Disease: Cold
Symptoms: Coughing, sneezing.
Source: 1% chance of catching a cold anytime a Sim goes to work or school.
Contagious: Highly.
Potentially fatal: No, if untreated, becomes Pneumonia.

Disease: Flu
Symptoms: Coughing, Diarrhoea.
Source: Up to 5% chance if near roaches.
Contagious: Highly.
Potentially Fatal: Yes

Disease: Pneumonia.
Symptoms: Coughing, Fatigue.
Source: Untreated cold becomes Pneumonia.
Contagious: Slightly.
Potentially Fatal: Yes

Disease: Food Poisoning.
Symptoms: Vomiting, Nausea.
Source: 5% chance anytime Sim eats spoiled food.
Contagious: No.
Potentially Fatal: Yes.

Disease: Morning Sickness.
Symptoms: Vomiting, Nausea.
Source: Pregnancy (Day 1)
Contagious: No.
Potentially Fatal: No.

Disease: Virus.
Symptoms: 2 Random Symptoms.
Source: Mishandling of virus created with Biotech Station (Science Career
Object), with severity determined by the logic skill pf the creating Sim and
manifested by the darkness of the colour of the virus's vial.
Contagious: Highly.
Potentially Fatal: Yes.

"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
news:TKydnej7o8BVpnzfRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
> How do the sims get sick? Is it the roaches? If so, is there a hack so
> that there will be no roaches? My Gilligan's Island crew has a heck of a
> time with getting sick all the time. I've had them call the exterminator,
> first time he killed everything, but the second time he said there was not
> a problem, yet my sims were out stomping roaches :( 
>
> --
> ---------------------------
> Somewhere along the way I have lost my sense of humor.
> If found, please return to..........
> http://www.silvernblue.com/
> or
> http://livin-it-up.net
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 8:46:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:46:58 +1000, "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>I haven't got time to reply to everything yet and I don't want to offend
>those I haven't replied to yet, but I saw this in the Sims2 guide and
>thought I would send a quick reply, considering I don't contribute in any
>way to these groups besides asking dumb questions.
>I hope this is of some use to you all. It has a table with the following:
>
>Disease: Cold
>Symptoms: Coughing, sneezing.
>Source: 1% chance of catching a cold anytime a Sim goes to work or school.
>Contagious: Highly.
>Potentially fatal: No, if untreated, becomes Pneumonia.
>
>Disease: Flu
>Symptoms: Coughing, Diarrhoea.
>Source: Up to 5% chance if near roaches.
>Contagious: Highly.
>Potentially Fatal: Yes
>
>Disease: Pneumonia.
>Symptoms: Coughing, Fatigue.
>Source: Untreated cold becomes Pneumonia.
>Contagious: Slightly.
>Potentially Fatal: Yes
>
>Disease: Food Poisoning.
>Symptoms: Vomiting, Nausea.
>Source: 5% chance anytime Sim eats spoiled food.
>Contagious: No.
>Potentially Fatal: Yes.
>
>Disease: Morning Sickness.
>Symptoms: Vomiting, Nausea.
>Source: Pregnancy (Day 1)
>Contagious: No.
>Potentially Fatal: No.
>
>Disease: Virus.
>Symptoms: 2 Random Symptoms.
>Source: Mishandling of virus created with Biotech Station (Science Career
>Object), with severity determined by the logic skill pf the creating Sim and
>manifested by the darkness of the colour of the virus's vial.
>Contagious: Highly.
>Potentially Fatal: Yes.

Interesting. None of my sims have ever transferred a cold, or
developed pneumonia. I must be a good custodian :-)
July 23, 2005 8:47:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

That's what I thought, we must be doing something right :o )
Beck.

"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
news:rjs3e1dqts77vl8s8qlea6s3cdo8d9nugh@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:46:58 +1000, "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>I haven't got time to reply to everything yet and I don't want to offend
>>those I haven't replied to yet, but I saw this in the Sims2 guide and
>>thought I would send a quick reply, considering I don't contribute in any
>>way to these groups besides asking dumb questions.
>>I hope this is of some use to you all. It has a table with the following:
>>
>>Disease: Cold
>>Symptoms: Coughing, sneezing.
>>Source: 1% chance of catching a cold anytime a Sim goes to work or school.
>>Contagious: Highly.
>>Potentially fatal: No, if untreated, becomes Pneumonia.
>>
>>Disease: Flu
>>Symptoms: Coughing, Diarrhoea.
>>Source: Up to 5% chance if near roaches.
>>Contagious: Highly.
>>Potentially Fatal: Yes
>>
>>Disease: Pneumonia.
>>Symptoms: Coughing, Fatigue.
>>Source: Untreated cold becomes Pneumonia.
>>Contagious: Slightly.
>>Potentially Fatal: Yes
>>
>>Disease: Food Poisoning.
>>Symptoms: Vomiting, Nausea.
>>Source: 5% chance anytime Sim eats spoiled food.
>>Contagious: No.
>>Potentially Fatal: Yes.
>>
>>Disease: Morning Sickness.
>>Symptoms: Vomiting, Nausea.
>>Source: Pregnancy (Day 1)
>>Contagious: No.
>>Potentially Fatal: No.
>>
>>Disease: Virus.
>>Symptoms: 2 Random Symptoms.
>>Source: Mishandling of virus created with Biotech Station (Science Career
>>Object), with severity determined by the logic skill pf the creating Sim
>>and
>>manifested by the darkness of the colour of the virus's vial.
>>Contagious: Highly.
>>Potentially Fatal: Yes.
>
> Interesting. None of my sims have ever transferred a cold, or
> developed pneumonia. I must be a good custodian :-)
July 23, 2005 8:47:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Oh, I just read the little paragraph on "Contagiousness" it says:
Many illnesses can be spread from sim to sim. Anywhere a contagious Sim
goes, he/she leaves behind germs. The more contagious a disease is, the
longer the germs persist. If another Sim encounters a sick Sim's germs,
he/she has a 5% chance of catching the disease.
It also says to keep them fairly isolated whilst sick.
I didn't see this with my first post.
Beck.
"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
news:rjs3e1dqts77vl8s8qlea6s3cdo8d9nugh@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:46:58 +1000, "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>I haven't got time to reply to everything yet and I don't want to offend
>>those I haven't replied to yet, but I saw this in the Sims2 guide and
>>thought I would send a quick reply, considering I don't contribute in any
>>way to these groups besides asking dumb questions.
>>I hope this is of some use to you all. It has a table with the following:
>>
>>Disease: Cold
>>Symptoms: Coughing, sneezing.
>>Source: 1% chance of catching a cold anytime a Sim goes to work or school.
>>Contagious: Highly.
>>Potentially fatal: No, if untreated, becomes Pneumonia.
>>
>>Disease: Flu
>>Symptoms: Coughing, Diarrhoea.
>>Source: Up to 5% chance if near roaches.
>>Contagious: Highly.
>>Potentially Fatal: Yes
>>
>>Disease: Pneumonia.
>>Symptoms: Coughing, Fatigue.
>>Source: Untreated cold becomes Pneumonia.
>>Contagious: Slightly.
>>Potentially Fatal: Yes
>>
>>Disease: Food Poisoning.
>>Symptoms: Vomiting, Nausea.
>>Source: 5% chance anytime Sim eats spoiled food.
>>Contagious: No.
>>Potentially Fatal: Yes.
>>
>>Disease: Morning Sickness.
>>Symptoms: Vomiting, Nausea.
>>Source: Pregnancy (Day 1)
>>Contagious: No.
>>Potentially Fatal: No.
>>
>>Disease: Virus.
>>Symptoms: 2 Random Symptoms.
>>Source: Mishandling of virus created with Biotech Station (Science Career
>>Object), with severity determined by the logic skill pf the creating Sim
>>and
>>manifested by the darkness of the colour of the virus's vial.
>>Contagious: Highly.
>>Potentially Fatal: Yes.
>
> Interesting. None of my sims have ever transferred a cold, or
> developed pneumonia. I must be a good custodian :-)
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 8:47:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Tch - why is pregnancy considered an illness? Sorry - that's a personal
grump issue of mine.

Best wishes
Maxon


"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
news:rjs3e1dqts77vl8s8qlea6s3cdo8d9nugh@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:46:58 +1000, "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
> >Disease: Morning Sickness.
> >Symptoms: Vomiting, Nausea.
> >Source: Pregnancy (Day 1)
> >Contagious: No.
> >Potentially Fatal: No.
> >
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 8:58:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Maxon wrote:

>> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:46:58 +1000, "Beck"
>> <invalid@invalid.invalid>
>>> Disease: Morning Sickness.
> Tch - why is pregnancy considered an illness? Sorry - that's a
> personal grump issue of mine.

Not the pregnancy, the morning sickness. And people are sick with it,
no? But I don't know if I would call it a disease.

T.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 8:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Yes, that's my point, it's part of a natural process not an illness.

Best
maxon

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
news:3kf47uFu54kjU1@individual.net...
> Maxon wrote:
>
> >> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:46:58 +1000, "Beck"
> >> <invalid@invalid.invalid>
> >>> Disease: Morning Sickness.
> > Tch - why is pregnancy considered an illness? Sorry - that's a
> > personal grump issue of mine.
>
> Not the pregnancy, the morning sickness. And people are sick with it,
> no? But I don't know if I would call it a disease.
>
> T.
>
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:54:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Maxon wrote:

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> news:3kf47uFu54kjU1@individual.net...
>> Maxon wrote:
>>>> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:46:58 +1000, "Beck"
>>>> <invalid@invalid.invalid>
>>>>> Disease: Morning Sickness.
>>> Tch - why is pregnancy considered an illness? Sorry - that's a
>>> personal grump issue of mine.
>> Not the pregnancy, the morning sickness. And people are sick with
>> it,
>> no? But I don't know if I would call it a disease.
> Yes, that's my point, it's part of a natural process not an illness.


Well, so is disease :-) But I agree with you. The role of morning
sickness is to protect the foetus against foodstuff that would be
poisonous to it, but not to the mother. If the mother had a perfectly
healthy diet for foetuses, not sickness would occur :-)

At least, that's what I learned. Maybe there are newer insights.

T.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:54:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Well, yes, of course you are right but illness processes are different from
the processes that occur during pregnancy. I just have this thing about the
over-medicalisation of women who are pregnant. Doctors (male doctors) have
a tendency to view pregnancy as a problem whereas, of course, it is nothing
of the sort (unless something goes wrong). I am being picky here. My
husband - who is a medical engineer - is always quick to point out that the
symptoms of a disease are not the disease itself - they're just how the body
reacts to the disease, be it virus or bacteria or anything else. Basically,
the body will raise it's temperature to fight a bacterial infection (and the
higher temp will kill it off) - the temperature isn't caused by the bacteria
but is caused by the body in order to fight off infection. So it's entirely
possible to have a disease without the symptoms if your body isn't working
properly and it's also why some illnesses are difficult to diagnose because
the symptoms you see are just the generic bodily reactions: raised
temperature, swollen glands, etc. etc. Women's bodies aren't usually trying
to get rid of the foetus but to protect it, as you say, which to my mind is
different.

Best wishes
maxon

PS how are you - well, I hope.


"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
news:3kf7h9Frrps2U1@individual.net...
>>
> Well, so is disease :-) But I agree with you. The role of morning
> sickness is to protect the foetus against foodstuff that would be
> poisonous to it, but not to the mother. If the mother had a perfectly
> healthy diet for foetuses, not sickness would occur :-)
>
> At least, that's what I learned. Maybe there are newer insights.
>
> T.
>
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:54:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:truEe.447$m4.308@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
> Well, yes, of course you are right but illness processes are different
> from
> the processes that occur during pregnancy. I just have this thing about
> the
> over-medicalisation of women who are pregnant. Doctors (male doctors)
> have
> a tendency to view pregnancy as a problem whereas, of course, it is
> nothing
> of the sort (unless something goes wrong). I am being picky here. My
> husband - who is a medical engineer - is always quick to point out that
> the
> symptoms of a disease are not the disease itself - they're just how the
> body
> reacts to the disease, be it virus or bacteria or anything else.
> Basically,
> the body will raise it's temperature to fight a bacterial infection (and
> the
> higher temp will kill it off) - the temperature isn't caused by the
> bacteria
> but is caused by the body in order to fight off infection. So it's
> entirely
> possible to have a disease without the symptoms if your body isn't working
> properly and it's also why some illnesses are difficult to diagnose
> because
> the symptoms you see are just the generic bodily reactions: raised
> temperature, swollen glands, etc. etc. Women's bodies aren't usually
> trying
> to get rid of the foetus but to protect it, as you say, which to my mind
> is
> different.
>
Actually, to begin with, the female body is trying to get rid of the fetus.
At the very beginning, it is like a foreign object in the body and the
antibodies go into action. Luckily, most of the time, they do not succeed,
but sometimes they do :( 
However, I don't think that is what morning sickness is. Rather, when the
antibodies are doing their thing, your temp may rise a bit.
That is what I was told anyway, by my doctor, after my miscarriage.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:57:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Maxon wrote:

> Well, yes, of course you are right but illness processes are
> different from the processes that occur during pregnancy. I just
> have this thing about the over-medicalisation of women who are
> pregnant. Doctors (male doctors) have a tendency to view pregnancy
> as a problem whereas, of course, it is nothing of the sort (unless
> something goes wrong). I am being picky here.

Not at all. In the Netherlands it's still quite normal for women to
give birth at home, with medical help of a midwife but without
doctors. But you can't get anaesthesia, you need a hospital for that.
So, either you get hospitalised or you are in pain. I understand that
the kind of anaesthesia you need for a birth is not easy administered
but still - you _know_ it hurts. Do something about it. Or should
women still suffer?

> PS how are you - well, I hope.

I'm quite fine. Having a minor problem to deal with but it won't take
much longer I think. You?

T.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 5:32:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
news:3kfb7lFtso18U1@individual.net...
> Maxon wrote:
>
> Not at all. In the Netherlands it's still quite normal for women to
> give birth at home, with medical help of a midwife but without
> doctors. But you can't get anaesthesia, you need a hospital for that.
> So, either you get hospitalised or you are in pain. I understand that
> the kind of anaesthesia you need for a birth is not easy administered
> but still - you _know_ it hurts. Do something about it. Or should
> women still suffer?

I think the Netherlands are unusual even in Europe for their
forward-thinking, patient-centred healthcare. I wish the UK had kept up
really. Women should not suffer if they don't want to - but then not
absolutely every birth is painful or unbearable.

>
> > PS how are you - well, I hope.
>
> I'm quite fine. Having a minor problem to deal with but it won't take
> much longer I think. You?

Pretty well - just got to the end of term so I'm pretty tired. I'm going to
relax for a week or so and then get on with some research without the
distraction of students. I'm sort of looking forward to it.

Best wishes
Maxon
July 24, 2005 7:40:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I guess it was under diseases because they are throwing up and stuff and it
seemed the only place to put it rather than make a whole new topic on the
morning sickness? I dunno, just a guess.
Beck.
"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o 0tEe.1140$Aw4.1081@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
> Yes, that's my point, it's part of a natural process not an illness.
>
> Best
> maxon
>
> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> news:3kf47uFu54kjU1@individual.net...
>> Maxon wrote:
>>
>> >> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:46:58 +1000, "Beck"
>> >> <invalid@invalid.invalid>
>> >>> Disease: Morning Sickness.
>> > Tch - why is pregnancy considered an illness? Sorry - that's a
>> > personal grump issue of mine.
>>
>> Not the pregnancy, the morning sickness. And people are sick with it,
>> no? But I don't know if I would call it a disease.
>>
>> T.
>>
>>
>
>
July 24, 2005 7:42:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

So has anyone found out if you can still get sick with Uni installed?
Just wondering.
Beck.
"Georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:t%oEe.59775$0i3.8571@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Veronica L wrote:
>> Hey! I have suddenly realised something. I don;t think I have had a Sim
>> get flue since I installed the EP - or perhaps something else has altered
>> the game play.
>>
>> Whatever, only one Sim got food poisoning after I let him eat green
>> Pizza. Homer, naturally.
>>
>> Anyone else noticed this? Puzzled.
>> Once I got used to it I quite enjoyed the flue epidemics. Was a useful
>> tool to wreak havoc.
>
> No, I've had sickness twice post Uni. Yellow Banananana brought it home
> from work, and three kids in the Main House caught the flu from roaches.
>
> -georg
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:25:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:04:52 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>Yes, that's my point, it's part of a natural process not an illness.

Yes, but the players may be curious to know why their sim is throwing
up, and so it is natural to list all the possible causes, including
'morning sickness' :-)
--


I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:25:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I know, I know. I said I'm being picky - it's to do with me and not really
the game.

Best wishes
maxon

"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
news:hnj7e1h8luu7shn12h8b45d7m6g71u6rp0@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:04:52 GMT, "Maxon"
> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes, that's my point, it's part of a natural process not an illness.
>
> Yes, but the players may be curious to know why their sim is throwing
> up, and so it is natural to list all the possible causes, including
> 'morning sickness' :-)
> --
>
>
> I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat
him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:51:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:47:26 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>I know, I know. I said I'm being picky - it's to do with me and not really
>the game.

Are ya preggo? :-P hehe
--


I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:51:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

No
"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
news:s7l7e19chq3sm8f6tik68tp3ak9v2sm89o@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:47:26 GMT, "Maxon"
> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >I know, I know. I said I'm being picky - it's to do with me and not
really
> >the game.
>
> Are ya preggo? :-P hehe
> --
>
>
> I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat
him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:51:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I understand, it's just something that bugs the heck outta ya.
Like when I had my miscarriage and they put me on the maternity ward. Let
me tell ya, there is no feeling like losing a baby only to look out in the
hall at a door with a big banner reading 'It's a boy!'.

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:u6REe.15312$vv6.13115@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> No
> "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
> news:s7l7e19chq3sm8f6tik68tp3ak9v2sm89o@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:47:26 GMT, "Maxon"
>> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I know, I know. I said I'm being picky - it's to do with me and not
> really
>> >the game.
>>
>> Are ya preggo? :-P hehe
>> --
>>
>>
>> I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat
> him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
>
>
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:29:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Yes - that's insensitive but sadly common.

Regarding it bugging me - yes, it does I suppose, but I'm also an academic
and academics argue ... about anything!

Best wishes
maxon

"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
news:5oWdnTdMRbQve37fRVn-3g@comcast.com...
> I understand, it's just something that bugs the heck outta ya.
> Like when I had my miscarriage and they put me on the maternity ward. Let
> me tell ya, there is no feeling like losing a baby only to look out in the
> hall at a door with a big banner reading 'It's a boy!'.
>
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:29:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Heh, yeah I noticed. Sometimes I tend to do the same thing, lol.

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:8TSEe.3220$SO4.241@newsfe4-win.ntli.net...
> Yes - that's insensitive but sadly common.
>
> Regarding it bugging me - yes, it does I suppose, but I'm also an academic
> and academics argue ... about anything!
>
> Best wishes
> maxon
>
> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
> news:5oWdnTdMRbQve37fRVn-3g@comcast.com...
>> I understand, it's just something that bugs the heck outta ya.
>> Like when I had my miscarriage and they put me on the maternity ward.
>> Let
>> me tell ya, there is no feeling like losing a baby only to look out in
>> the
>> hall at a door with a big banner reading 'It's a boy!'.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 2:19:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Hi

I understand that totaly as I lost a baby at 16 weeks on 14th February,
they put me in the maternity to "recover"!!!
I still trying to come to terms with it.

Julia

"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
news:5oWdnTdMRbQve37fRVn-3g@comcast.com...
>I understand, it's just something that bugs the heck outta ya.
> Like when I had my miscarriage and they put me on the maternity ward. Let
> me tell ya, there is no feeling like losing a baby only to look out in the
> hall at a door with a big banner reading 'It's a boy!'.
>
> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:u6REe.15312$vv6.13115@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>> No
>> "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
>> news:s7l7e19chq3sm8f6tik68tp3ak9v2sm89o@4ax.com...
>>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:47:26 GMT, "Maxon"
>>> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> >I know, I know. I said I'm being picky - it's to do with me and not
>> really
>>> >the game.
>>>
>>> Are ya preggo? :-P hehe
>>> --
>>>
>>>
>>> I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and
>>> beat
>> him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:11:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Oh sorry to hear that Julia. Did they give you a certain time before trying
again?

"Julia" <julia.suzanne@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:e13Fe.29055$Pf3.20515@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi
>
> I understand that totaly as I lost a baby at 16 weeks on 14th February,
> they put me in the maternity to "recover"!!!
> I still trying to come to terms with it.
>
> Julia
>
> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
> news:5oWdnTdMRbQve37fRVn-3g@comcast.com...
>>I understand, it's just something that bugs the heck outta ya.
>> Like when I had my miscarriage and they put me on the maternity ward.
>> Let me tell ya, there is no feeling like losing a baby only to look out
>> in the hall at a door with a big banner reading 'It's a boy!'.
>>
>> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> news:u6REe.15312$vv6.13115@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>>> No
>>> "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
>>> news:s7l7e19chq3sm8f6tik68tp3ak9v2sm89o@4ax.com...
>>>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:47:26 GMT, "Maxon"
>>>> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> >I know, I know. I said I'm being picky - it's to do with me and not
>>> really
>>>> >the game.
>>>>
>>>> Are ya preggo? :-P hehe
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and
>>>> beat
>>> him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:44:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Hi

Thanks for your reply
They gave me 3 months, and all should be ok this time apparently I had some
kind of infection..

Take care
Julia

"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
news:EdKdneWA_MOrnHjfRVn-tw@comcast.com...
> Oh sorry to hear that Julia. Did they give you a certain time before
> trying again?
>
> "Julia" <julia.suzanne@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:e13Fe.29055$Pf3.20515@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Hi
>>
>> I understand that totaly as I lost a baby at 16 weeks on 14th February,
>> they put me in the maternity to "recover"!!!
>> I still trying to come to terms with it.
>>
>> Julia
>>
>> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
>> news:5oWdnTdMRbQve37fRVn-3g@comcast.com...
>>>I understand, it's just something that bugs the heck outta ya.
>>> Like when I had my miscarriage and they put me on the maternity ward.
>>> Let me tell ya, there is no feeling like losing a baby only to look out
>>> in the hall at a door with a big banner reading 'It's a boy!'.
>>>
>>> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> news:u6REe.15312$vv6.13115@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>>>> No
>>>> "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
>>>> news:s7l7e19chq3sm8f6tik68tp3ak9v2sm89o@4ax.com...
>>>>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:47:26 GMT, "Maxon"
>>>>> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> >I know, I know. I said I'm being picky - it's to do with me and not
>>>> really
>>>>> >the game.
>>>>>
>>>>> Are ya preggo? :-P hehe
>>>>> --
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and
>>>>> beat
>>>> him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:44:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Well, hopefully after the 3 months, the first shot will do it, lol.
We had to wait 6 months, but had no problem getting preggers then. Course,
now, that was almost 19 years ago.
The good thing that came out of it all, besides my son, was that during the
second pregnancy, the doctors kept a real good eye on me and the baby, just
to make sure everything came out all right.

"Julia" <julia.suzanne@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:tacFe.190320$Vo6.108413@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi
>
> Thanks for your reply
> They gave me 3 months, and all should be ok this time apparently I had
> some kind of infection..
>
> Take care
> Julia
>
> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
> news:EdKdneWA_MOrnHjfRVn-tw@comcast.com...
>> Oh sorry to hear that Julia. Did they give you a certain time before
>> trying again?
>>
>> "Julia" <julia.suzanne@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:e13Fe.29055$Pf3.20515@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I understand that totaly as I lost a baby at 16 weeks on 14th February,
>>> they put me in the maternity to "recover"!!!
>>> I still trying to come to terms with it.
>>>
>>> Julia
>>>
>>> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
>>> news:5oWdnTdMRbQve37fRVn-3g@comcast.com...
>>>>I understand, it's just something that bugs the heck outta ya.
>>>> Like when I had my miscarriage and they put me on the maternity ward.
>>>> Let me tell ya, there is no feeling like losing a baby only to look out
>>>> in the hall at a door with a big banner reading 'It's a boy!'.
>>>>
>>>> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:u6REe.15312$vv6.13115@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>>>>> No
>>>>> "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
>>>>> news:s7l7e19chq3sm8f6tik68tp3ak9v2sm89o@4ax.com...
>>>>>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:47:26 GMT, "Maxon"
>>>>>> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> >I know, I know. I said I'm being picky - it's to do with me and not
>>>>> really
>>>>>> >the game.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Are ya preggo? :-P hehe
>>>>>> --
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and
>>>>>> beat
>>>>> him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 1:07:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Julia wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for your reply
> They gave me 3 months, and all should be ok this time apparently I had some
> kind of infection..

Good luck. I hope it comes out well for thee and thine.

Such a personal misfortune is beyond my comprehension. Never been
pregnant, nor likely to be.

-georg
July 26, 2005 8:59:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Blugenie2 and Julia, I am sorry you both had to go through something so
insensitive. That's not nice what they did.
Beck.

"Julia" <julia.suzanne@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:e13Fe.29055$Pf3.20515@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi
>
> I understand that totaly as I lost a baby at 16 weeks on 14th February,
> they put me in the maternity to "recover"!!!
> I still trying to come to terms with it.
>
> Julia
>
> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
> news:5oWdnTdMRbQve37fRVn-3g@comcast.com...
>>I understand, it's just something that bugs the heck outta ya.
>> Like when I had my miscarriage and they put me on the maternity ward.
>> Let me tell ya, there is no feeling like losing a baby only to look out
>> in the hall at a door with a big banner reading 'It's a boy!'.
>>
>> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> news:u6REe.15312$vv6.13115@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>>> No
>>> "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
>>> news:s7l7e19chq3sm8f6tik68tp3ak9v2sm89o@4ax.com...
>>>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:47:26 GMT, "Maxon"
>>>> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> >I know, I know. I said I'm being picky - it's to do with me and not
>>> really
>>>> >the game.
>>>>
>>>> Are ya preggo? :-P hehe
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and
>>>> beat
>>> him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 4:00:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:06:20 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>I understand, it's just something that bugs the heck outta ya.
>Like when I had my miscarriage and they put me on the maternity ward. Let
>me tell ya, there is no feeling like losing a baby only to look out in the
>hall at a door with a big banner reading 'It's a boy!'.

Sheesh... so sorry to hear that Blue. And what utter insensitivity...
--


I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
!