Do I have a defective computer?

Adam5727

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Okay, here's the deal. I bought this computer about a year and a half ago, and to be honest I think I've been dealing with a defective piece of equipment. Every time and I mean EVERY TIME I try and make some very minor overclocks to the graphics card, my pc crashes. I'm talking about increases such as 725 mhz to 800 mhz to the core clock. I tried following this guide: http://www.guru3d.com/article/overclock-radeon-5970-guide/

However, as soon as I increase the voltage to 1.1625V and I start FurMark (that is without overclocking yet) my pc crashes and I get that blue error screen.

Specs:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/17/2011, 19:51:26
Machine name: ADAM-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: Aurora
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6134MB RAM
Page File: 2591MB used, 9676MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Just to start off, just list your CPU, GPU, PSU, etc. The long list of useless information can get annoying. The Radeon HD 5970 does not have a lot of headroom for OCing. Don't expect stable OCs. You need a high-quality, power PSU (not sure what Alienware uses) to supply even a minor OC on a Radeon HD 5970.

Adam5727

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

how do I find out the psu?

AbdullahG

Distinguished

Open you case (make sure your PC is turned off) and look at the sticker on your PC. It should have relevant info. Try to take a picture to make it easier to know it's details and such.

AbdullahG

Distinguished

Best price to sell, maybe around $700 to $800 at least. The Radeon HD 5970 is $400 to $500. The i7 920, probably $200 to $250. Everything else adds. Selling the parts individually will probably get you the most money (I would sell the 5970 for $400, CPU + MoBo for $300, case, PSU, etc for around $150).

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I used a pair of HD5970 in crossfire.

Even with voltage increases, they were a POS to overclock.

Just before selling them, I heard there was a BIOS release to fix stability issues.

Remember, flashing BIOS is risky. You can brick your card.

Selling parts separately is more economical but time consuming.

Good luck.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Some advice don't mess with it too much, as I dealt with dell tech support a LOT. Their the worst things known to man (Dell own alienware). Had to send in my laptop for hardware issues about 10times and they only fixed all the problems once. Sent it in for a busted dvd drive but they never fixed it except once, usually they sent it back to me without doing a single thing. So I had a faulty 2 dvd drive , and sent that in to be fixed probably around 7 times only fixed 1 time, as well as multiple faulty motherboard and power adapters from them, and 1 hard drive. Most times I had to send it in with multiple hardware problems as I gave up on the them fixing the dvd drive. And this was for a laptop that was babied and never suffered so much as a scratch on it.

Sorry for my little rant on them, which TBH is a very nice version of what I put up with them. But I wanted to give you an slight idea of what your dealing with if you every have to contact them for hardware issues.

Now with that part out of the way, I be honest try minimize your chances of hardware failure for OCing that GPU don't mess with the voltage. Dealing with their tech support is the worst thing known to man, so don't risk it. Try to OC without touching it.

Sorry if this looks like a flame it's not intended to be. Just a warning about the company, which I thought was relevant with the advice I gave. So please don't comment on that part, and lets keep trying to help the OP.