Can't OC my ASRock Z68. Please help if you can

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I started with this guide:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

Went into the BIOS and made just 3 changes to start with. Changed the multiplier to 40X which is what they say to try first.

Changed the memory settings from Auto to 9-9-9-24. (Wasn't sure if I was supposed to use 1n or 1T or whatever so I just left it at 2N where it was at) The settings are what is listed on the package the memory came in.

Then changed the core voltage to 1.20 which is what they recommend to start.

That was the only 3 changes I made. I rebooted and it did not BSOD but it also didn't boot into Windows. It just hanged at a black screen. I had read that I might have to tick up the voltage if it didn't work so I rebooted into BIOS. This time though, As I was clicking around in BIOS the mouse stopped working. Could not get anything to work so I held the power button on until it shut down (5 seconds or so). Next time I rebooted and I couldn't even get it to bring up the BIOS. All it did was show a blinking cursor at the top. Reboot and this time I was able to get into BIOS but I was so scared that I would loose access to the BIOS; I just changed everything back to the default and got out.

Now I just don't know what to do. Is it possible to make these kinds of changes and permanently mess something up. I'm scared to mess with anything now so I've put the project on hold until I can get some feedback.

leave the memory settings at auto unless you know the exact specs of your memory. that is most likely your problem. leave the cpu volts at auto too. If it still doesnt boot drop the multiplier back until it boots. You should read some more general overclocking guides first as it sounds like you have never done this before.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
what cooler do you have. if it isnt stock and is a 2600/2500kthen make these changes
cpu ratio 45x
pll overvoltage enabled
intel speed step - off
intel trubo boost - off
core current limit to 200(watts)
spread spectrum- off

voltage control - fixed value
core voltage 1.325 volts
load line calibration - 1
dram voltage - 1.5v (make sure you have 1.5 volt rated ram)

now go into the advance screen to cpu configuration
turn off the follow
hardware prefecher
adjacent line prefetc
enhance halt state
cpu c3 state support
cpu c6 state support
package c state support
cpu thermal throttling(if you dont wanna keep an eye on your temps leave enabled)
intel virtualization(your not running a virtual machine are you?)

change all that and all you should have to do is raise your core voltage up or down. my 2600k will run at 4.5 at 1.305volts and i have a asrock z68 mobo too and those are my settings.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

he linked a sandy bridge overclocking guide. i think its safe to assume its a sandy bridge cpu. he also said he bumped the multi to 40 so its unlocked.

First thing I notice is that link goes to a p67 clocking guide, you're on a z68?
Can we have model numbers of Motherboard and chip please,
I'm not an intel knowledgebase but I think that may be a possible issue, two totally different chipsets as far as I'm aware,
I also find it strange that an AsRock Mobo doesn't have a Ez-Oc type option in bios as well that you could also use to get a start in the overclocking world
**Edit, member config says he's rolling a 920 chip, I'm assuming i7 920 here, but thats a 1366 socket so where does the z68 part fit?**
Moto

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006

Which is maybe the reason he is not booting up.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. Indeed, I was using the guide I provided to OC this i7-2600K on an ASRock Z68 with this memory:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429

You're right though. I don't have a lot of OC experience. I OC'd my last P67 board with the guide above so I thought it would work for this one and when I previously asked for a guide to overclocking this new board, someone actually refrenced that guide again.

So I guess I will ask, is there a guide out there for my setup?