Maxtor Basics External Hard Drive

geordieladd

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hi, I am having a problem with my Maxtor Basics external HD (seagate 1000 gb)........A few days ago, I turned on my comp system and all was normal, everything working fine, inc my external HD, then come today, I turned on my system, and I noticed that my external HD light is constantly on green and the sounds coming from it is like its powering up then powering down, and keeps on repeating the same thing over and over. So I then restarted my comp system and went into the bios to find that my external HD is not recognized in bios anymore. I dont know what is going on with my external HD and need help with this as I have all my data on it and have no backup :(

Someone please help!!

Thank you
Rod

Seems to me it has gone bad! It could also be that the cable has gone bad. Exhaust all possible options before going in for an RMA (if within warranty) since you say it has lots of your important data.

geordieladd

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I took the HD out of the external casing and connected it to my comp system (cables are good) and found same thing there too. Its out of its warranty as well. I guess there is no hope then?

Cheers for all your help :)
Rod