Advice on pre built overclock

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I would very much like someone to check my pre built system prior to me placing a order this Friday and give me views and advice. I also have a few questions at the end.

My budget £1400 and needs to include a monitor however I would like to save some cash and get a system I “need” to perform the tasks I will use it for. I want the system to be fast I have seen Apple’s that boot and are ready to go in a matter of seconds
I am not able to build my own system at the moment due to lack of knowledge and confidence.

I am planning on using Symantec Norton Internet Security 2012 aswell I have read reviews that this no longer slows down system performance and is now configured for gaming and does not slow gaming down.

The system will be used for the below tasks and nothing more – its probably worth noting that any games will only be RTS and MMORPG’s as I have a xbox which I prefer to play titles such as call of duty and first person shooter / action games.

Gaming (WoW Cata / Dawn of War 2 Series / Starcraft 2) I want to play these games on the maximum graphics setting on a 24” monitor – I may also try the new Star Wars MMORPG when its released

Watching movies and Blu Rays via HDMI connection on my 50” plasma TV
Downloading Movies & Music (I do a lot of this)
Burning DVD’s & CD’s (a lot)
Web Browsing
iTunes
Microsoft Office Pro 2010
Social Networking

The Build / Configuration:

Case:
Cooler Master Elite 430 Case or Xigmatek Asgard

Processor:
Intel Core i5 2500K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.5GHz

CPU Cooler:
Corsair A70 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

Additional Cooling:
2 x Blue LED Case Fans

Thermal Paste:
Generic thermal paste

Motherboard:
Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard

Memory:
8GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)

Graphics Card:
AMD Radeon HD 6970 2048MB Graphics Card (ASUS Direct CU II or Palit Factory Overclocked)

1st Hard Drive:
40GB Corsair Force Solid State Drive

2nd Hard Drive:
1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk

SSD Caching Configuration - Choose one Hard drive and one SSD

1st Optical Drive:
Samsung Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive

2nd Optical Drive:
Sony 24x DVD-RW Drive

Power Supply:
Corsair TX 750W PSU

Sound Card:
Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Primary Monitor:
24" Asus VS247H Widescreen LED Monitor

Keyboard and Mouse:
Generic Wired Keyboard and Mouse

TOTAL PRICE INC SHIPPING & VAT = £1111 . 19

Questions

Any advice or comments on my build are greatly appreciated

I can upgrade the core i5 to a core i7 for an extra £70 inc vat but not sure if its worth me bothering?

Is Symantec Norton Internet Security 2012 a good option in regards to my requirements / what I will be using the pc for?

Do I need the 4.5 ghz overclock on the processor or would 4ghz be sufficient for my needs?

I have upgraded to a 750 watt PSU to future prrof myself for a new graphics card in the future I will never crossfire or sli but will change the gpu as mine becomes older to a newer and better model would a 600 watt corsair be sufficient even if I go with the 4.5ghz overclock?

Final question – Would I be better off uping my budget and getting a Apple iMac ? (I doubt this but wanted to ask as they seem so fast?)

Any other comments and advice would be very welcomed

Thanks in advance

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I can upgrade the core i5 to a core i7 for an extra £70 inc vat but not sure if its worth me bothering?

Don't bother. An i5 2500K is a kick ass CPU.

Do I need the 4.5 ghz overclock on the processor or would 4ghz be sufficient for my needs?

Sandy Bridge CPUs overclock REALLY well. Some have gotten 5GHz on stock cooler.

4.5GHz is well within range for 24/7 usage. I have mine @4.6GHz 24/7.

Is Symantec Norton Internet Security 2012 a good option in regards to my requirements / what I will be using the pc for?

Are you paying for this? IMO, free virus software does a pretty good job. Try Avast or AVG.

I have upgraded to a 750 watt PSU to future prrof myself for a new graphics card in the future I will never crossfire or sli but will change the gpu as mine becomes older to a newer and better model would a 600 watt corsair be sufficient even if I go with the 4.5ghz overclock?

You could do it, although I would futureproof with a 750W. Don't skimp on PSU!

Would I be better off uping my budget and getting a Apple iMac ?

Apple-Eeeeewwwww! lol

Hope this helps some.

PS. You might want to use that 70 pounds to get a slightly bigger SSD. Say 60-80Gb.

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi hunuok,

Many thanks for your reply

Ill see about upgrading the SSD

Will the system be fast? like how fast a Apple boots and is ready to use?

Also do you knwo if this configuration will play the games I mention above at maxed out settings?

Thank You

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Will the system be fast?

You have a SOLID build. You shouldn't have any issues with games. Keep an eye out for latest driver updates for your 6970.

They usually have monthly driver updates with preview/updates in between. Kinda crazy to keep up with.....

I have never used (or use) Apple. From what I understand, they use Intel CPUs anyways.

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Brilliant thanks for your advice

For my requirements do you think I should go for the 4.5ghz overclock which will cost me roughly £52+ vat as its an extra £20 for the overclock and then I need a upgraded cpu cooler at £32

If im not going to get any added benefit by doing this for what ill be using the system for I can get the overclock at 4ghz free of charge and maybe that would also prelong the life of the CPU?

I guess what im saying is should I go with a 4ghz OC or 4.5ghz OC on the cpu

Would i get the benefit from the higher OC?

Thanks in advance

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Can you order the the CPU cooler without the overclock?

If you can, that would save you money because you can overclock the CPU yourself.

You can overclock to 4.2 or 4.6 GHz with two mouse clicks, without having to adjust voltages.

These settings are preset in your BIOS, or you can use the "auto tune" function in your AI Suite software bundle.

From experience, auto tune should give you ~4.2-4.6GHz.

If you're not comfortable, just get the 4.0 GHz overclock until you get the hang of things.

Yes, 4.0 GHz should prolong the life of your CPU. By how much, I think is negligible as these are "mid" overclocks for this CPU.

Even if you DON'T overclock, I would recommend the after market cooler, as these are more efficient than stock coolers.