Uh-oh - Now they're after The Sims....

Last response: in Video Games
July 22, 2005 6:50:09 PM

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.ht...

I was afraid of this.

More about : sims

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:01:14 PM

Okay, from what I gather, the guy has never actually played the sims.
Sounds like he is going on hearsay alone.
Also, reminds me of another Ralph Nader, who never drove yet had the nerve
to judge cars. I seriously hope that EA Games does not give in to such
nonsense.

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.ht...
>

> I was afraid of this.

July 23, 2005 7:37:44 AM

>> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.ht...
>>

>> I was afraid of this.
> Okay, from what I gather, the guy has never actually played the sims.
> Sounds like he is going on hearsay alone.
> Also, reminds me of another Ralph Nader, who never drove yet had the
nerve
> to judge cars. I seriously hope that EA Games does not give in to such
> nonsense.

Well, that's it's not whether EA gives into all of this that's really
the problem. It's whether these pressure groups can get their paid for
members of Congress to legislate about it, and get rid of the ESRB. The
ESRB is a voluntary setup by the gaming industry to make sure that
people who are suitable to play games can do so. And it would all work
fine if parents were responsible and didn't let their eight-year-old
children play GTA.

And clearly this guy's never played The Sims - and probably doesn't
actually believe the stuff he's saying - just as Hillary Clinton has
never played San Andreas.

While I feel that our colonial cousins can do whatever they wish to
themselves, I can help feeling that it's going to affect us back here in
Blighty...

CK
July 23, 2005 1:34:36 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:50:09 -0500, "Jeremy Reaban"
<trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I was afraid of this.

LOL, what a moron! The only genitalia in the sims in his twisted
little brain!
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:44:30 PM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:18:37 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>I don't think so, but the attitude is different in Europe and other
>countries. At least, as far as I know it is :)

I'm familiar with both sides of ocean, and I would have to concurr.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:04:47 PM

Church groups with lots of cash support them.
July 23, 2005 2:59:41 PM

>Someone, somewhere, has seen a great opportunity to further their cause. And
>what if they win? Would you 'return your game' and think 'thank goodness I
>am no longer playing that filth?'

For what reason? Nudity? I would have no problems letting anyone no
matter their age play the Sims 2 or Singles 2 if they wanted to.
Nudity's never harmed anyone. Besides, if anyone want nudity they can
take a trip to the nearest beach and get as much as they want:-)
There's also plenty of it on TV:-)

Strange country, the US. Nudity in games is the end of the world, but
violence and mass-murder in games seems to be OK.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:59:42 PM

"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message

>>Someone, somewhere, has seen a great opportunity to further their cause.
>>And
>>what if they win? Would you 'return your game' and think 'thank goodness I
>>am no longer playing that filth?'
>
> For what reason? Nudity?

No-no. You miss my point, prob my fault. Never mind the reasons they are
being thrashed out elsewhere in the thread in a more hysterical manner. I am
saying what if the end result is against maxi -if they ever get as far as
fighting, that is?

In such a case we, the players, wouldn't, by law, have an option. We would
be obliged to return our games. (ignore various country laws for the sake of
argument)

Absolute madness of course, but some people are stark-staring bonkers anyway
and would see a ban as an excellent result. Purity, and all that jazz.

Does anyone know a good website where this lobby group air their views? I
would love to read it. A good scream would do me the world of good.

July 23, 2005 4:40:06 PM

What a complete load of b****cks.

I hope the courts, if it gets that far, think so too.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.ht...
>

> I was afraid of this.

July 23, 2005 4:58:23 PM

>No-no. You miss my point, prob my fault. Never mind the reasons they are
>being thrashed out elsewhere in the thread in a more hysterical manner. I am
>saying what if the end result is against maxi -if they ever get as far as
>fighting, that is?
>
>In such a case we, the players, wouldn't, by law, have an option. We would
>be obliged to return our games. (ignore various country laws for the sake of
>argument)

I can't really do that, I know very little about US laws. And the game
is sold in other countries too. Even if the US players was forced to
return it how could they force players in other countries to return
it? It wouldn't affect me because no law can force me to return
anything I bought when it was legal to buy it. Anyway, I could still
play Singles 2, I'd be very surprised if the Germans ban it for
nudity:-)
July 23, 2005 5:03:09 PM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 05:34:52 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>I think the general public does not get upset here, it's the ones that THINK
>they know what is the best way to do things that get upset. I would like to

In which case it wouldn't matter at all, we would just laugh at them.
I remember when a few religious fanatics tried to persuade the
government to ban the movie " Life of Brian" when it came out on
video. They didn't succeed and the rest of us had a good laugh at
them:-)
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 5:03:10 PM

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 05:34:52 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:
>
>>I think the general public does not get upset here, it's the ones that
>>THINK
>>they know what is the best way to do things that get upset. I would like
>
> In which case it wouldn't matter at all, we would just laugh at them.
> I remember when a few religious fanatics tried to persuade the
> government to ban the movie " Life of Brian" when it came out on
> video. They didn't succeed and the rest of us had a good laugh at
> them:-)

That was a great movie, but at the same time I can understand why they were
upset about it, lol.

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 8:02:28 PM

> Well, one hopes so. I'm wondering what you could possibly put in in place
> of the blur that wouldn't imply something underneath. I mean we're all
> built that way - well, nearly all of us - and even if you replaced the sim
> crotches with, say, a ... red toy train or something, it would still be
> something standing in for a crotch. And anyway, a red toy train on the
> men
> would imply - or rather 'suggest' - something else entirely!!

Exactly!!!!

There is always the option to buid a Sim withlout a crotch, I suppose.... 8(
Then it would be a mermaid, and raise the ire of some animal rights group.

Now I feel
> like I'm starting to stray into Monty Python territory...

A good - but warped - lawyer wouldn;t think so. All fuel for the fire.
I have been doing some heavy reading since this morning. My, there are some
seriously troubled people out there. One wonders what goes on in the mind of
those who see sin everywhere.
But I won;t stray into that territory.

V.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 8:42:01 PM

"Veronica L" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o StEe.75688$G8.23132@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Now I feel
> > like I'm starting to stray into Monty Python territory...
> >
> A good - but warped - lawyer wouldn;t think so. All fuel for the fire.
> I have been doing some heavy reading since this morning. My, there are
some
> seriously troubled people out there. One wonders what goes on in the mind
of
> those who see sin everywhere.
> But I won;t stray into that territory.
>
> V.
Why? It's never stopped you before!
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:37:10 PM

Veronica L wrote:

> One wonders what goes on in the mind of
> those who see sin everywhere.

They're currently planning the campaign for "Jeb 2008."

--
--Cuth
July 23, 2005 9:37:11 PM

"Cuthbert Gurdlestone" <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote in
message news:42E28049.8020504@earthlink.net...
> Veronica L wrote:
>

>> One wonders what goes on in the mind of
>> those who see sin everywhere.
>
> They're currently planning the campaign for "Jeb 2008."
>
> --
> --Cuth

You could have talked all day without saying something that ugly. LOL
Help us all!!!!
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:49:05 PM

Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:

>Strange country, the US. Nudity in games is the end of the world, but
>violence and mass-murder in games seems to be OK.

Umm... No.

The issue raised over GTA and being whipped into a frenzy WRT TS2
isn't nudity being in the game, but nudity being in the game without
the appropriate rating on the box. A subtle but important difference.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:59:15 PM

Maxon wrote:

> Well, one hopes so. I'm wondering what you could possibly put in in
> place of the blur that wouldn't imply something underneath.

They should wear underwear at all times? Like they don't drop their
clothes when peeing?

> I mean
> we're all built that way - well, nearly all of us - and even if you
> replaced the sim crotches with, say, a ... red toy train or
> something, it would still be something standing in for a crotch.
> And
> anyway, a red toy train on the men would imply - or rather 'suggest'
> - something else entirely!! Now I feel like I'm starting to stray
> into Monty Python territory...

What about... a squid! Nono, too wriggly. An apple! No, too Adam and
Eve. A television! Nah, dirty people could make jokes about "the box".
My. I don't think I could do it.

> Anyway (takes deep breath), perhaps according to Thompson's argument
> Maxis should leave the blur off altogether just to show that there's
> nothing to hide or be ashamed of. Which, as I understand it, is
> basically the German/Dutch/general European point of view
> (summarised
> as 'Bodies, we all have one, get over it!').

Sometimes... personally, I prefer nude beaches over clothing beaches
because there is no leering. If everyone is naked, it doesn't matter
anymore. But many people don't feel that way (for example, my Islamic
co-worker :-) ).

> And who gets embarrassed by Ken and Barbie bodies anyway? Well,
> unless you
> actually have one, that is.

ROFL!

T.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:59:16 PM

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> Maxon wrote:
>
> > Well, one hopes so. I'm wondering what you could possibly put in in
> > place of the blur that wouldn't imply something underneath.
>
> They should wear underwear at all times? Like they don't drop their
> clothes when peeing?
>
> > I mean
> > we're all built that way - well, nearly all of us - and even if you
> > replaced the sim crotches with, say, a ... red toy train or
> > something, it would still be something standing in for a crotch.
> > And
> > anyway, a red toy train on the men would imply - or rather 'suggest'
> > - something else entirely!! Now I feel like I'm starting to stray
> > into Monty Python territory...
>
> What about... a squid! Nono, too wriggly. An apple! No, too Adam and
> Eve. A television! Nah, dirty people could make jokes about "the box".
> My. I don't think I could do it.

My mind is boggling as we speak!!

> > Anyway (takes deep breath), perhaps according to Thompson's argument
> > Maxis should leave the blur off altogether just to show that there's
> > nothing to hide or be ashamed of. Which, as I understand it, is
> > basically the German/Dutch/general European point of view
> > (summarised
> > as 'Bodies, we all have one, get over it!').
>
> Sometimes... personally, I prefer nude beaches over clothing beaches
> because there is no leering. If everyone is naked, it doesn't matter
> anymore. But many people don't feel that way (for example, my Islamic
> co-worker :-) ).

Yes, exactly.

Best wishes
Maxon
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:59:16 PM

Taemon wrote:

> They should wear underwear at all times? Like they don't drop their
> clothes when peeing?

They don't, actually. I've often wondered what their dry-cleaning bill
looks like.

> What about... a squid! Nono, too wriggly. An apple! No, too Adam and
> Eve. A television! Nah, dirty people could make jokes about "the box".
> My. I don't think I could do it.

Simple: fig leaf.

> Sometimes... personally, I prefer nude beaches over clothing beaches
> because there is no leering. If everyone is naked, it doesn't matter
> anymore. But many people don't feel that way (for example, my Islamic
> co-worker :-) ).

My problem is there are some naked people I don't want to see naked.
Anywhere.

>>And who gets embarrassed by Ken and Barbie bodies anyway?

Fundees and Republicans. They're embarrassed by anything slightly
sensual. I'm convinced the only way they can sport an erection is if
they read the stock pages.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

Betty wrote:
> "Cuthbert Gurdlestone" <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote in
> message news:42E28049.8020504@earthlink.net...
>
>>Veronica L wrote:
>>

>>>One wonders what goes on in the mind of
>>>those who see sin everywhere.
>>
>>They're currently planning the campaign for "Jeb 2008."
>>
>>--
>>--Cuth
>>

> You could have talked all day without saying something that ugly. LOL
> Help us all!!!!

Forewarned is forearmed.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

>> What about... a squid! Nono, too wriggly. An apple! No, too Adam and
>> Eve. A television! Nah, dirty people could make jokes about "the
>> box". My. I don't think I could do it.
>
> Simple: fig leaf.

Terrific idea. And they can then have a new want pop up when they want to
"turn over a new leaf" instead of "meet someone new...."

Jeanie
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:45:24 AM

news:truEe.449$m4.417@newsfe1- One wonders what goes on in the mind
> of
>> those who see sin everywhere.
>> But I won;t stray into that territory.
>>
>> V.
> Why? It's never stopped you before!

Whats the smiley for bursting into tears and running away?

July 24, 2005 4:06:10 AM

> He is saying that the blur implies that there is something to hide.
> Therefore, EA are saying. there are naughty bits under here that you
> shouldn;t see.
>
> It is a twisted bit of logic but could be whipped up into an argument
> that the blur is there for titillation only.

I always figured the blur was there to hide the fact that there was nothing
there. Sure, it's implied there MIGHT be something there, but that same
argument could be made for sims wearing underwear or any game character
ever wearing clothes. Then you have the circular argument of doom.

--------
Saint_Proverbius - "Doing wild stuff since 2001"
RPG Codex - http://www.rpgcodex.com - From Rogues to CRPGs
Tycoon Codex - http://www.tycooncodex.com - Management Simulations
Two pissant sites, one angry mob
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:11:00 AM

Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in

> I can't really do that, I know very little about US laws. And the game
> is sold in other countries too. Even if the US players was forced to
> return it how could they force players in other countries to return
> it? It wouldn't affect me because no law can force me to return
> anything I bought when it was legal to buy it. Anyway, I could still
> play Singles 2, I'd be very surprised if the Germans ban it for
> nudity:-)

I'm pretty sure they can't force us to return the game in the United States
any more than we can be forced to take our cars back to the dealership for
a safety recall. Nor could the publishers of the Harry Potter book could
force people who bought their copies early in Canada to return them.

Even if there was some wacky court order stating that we have to take it
back, it's too much of a logistical problem to tackle.

--------
Saint_Proverbius - "Doing wild stuff since 2001"
RPG Codex - http://www.rpgcodex.com - From Rogues to CRPGs
Tycoon Codex - http://www.tycooncodex.com - Management Simulations
Two pissant sites, one angry mob
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:23:30 AM

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in news:3kf57kFuae8dU1@individual.net:

> But that one _was_ part of the original game. Not that I would ban San
> Andreas (I think it's better to keep it out of the hands of children
> but I haven't played it so I really don't have any idea) but that's a
> big difference. If there are perversions (Yay! Er, sorry) in the Sims,
> it's because other people wrote hacks to put them there. They're not
> unveiled.

This is where the argument gets absurd when you think about it. The game
itself, what you get out of the box, doesn't really have any way you can
access that explicit stuff. You have to think, "Hey, I want that content."
and then make the choice to go out and get the hack that allows access to
it. Either way, the end user has to decide that they want that hidden
content, they're the ones that make the choice. It doesn't matter who made
the content, it's locked and the user of the product has to go out his or
her way to get to the content. It's their choice.

The same thing could be said about The Sims 2 and nude skins. The game
doesn't ship with them and the blur is turned on. The user of the product
has to go any specifically download the content and use the cheats or
whatever because they WANT to see sims running around naked. They make the
choice to modify the game to what they want out of choice.

The reason Jack Thompson, Super Douche, is targetting The Sims 2 is because
The Sims 2 has made lots and lots of money. If he can find some people
saying they were somehow "damaged" by nude sims playing piano, then he can
sue EA and take 30% of that money.

--------
Saint_Proverbius - "Doing wild stuff since 2001"
RPG Codex - http://www.rpgcodex.com - From Rogues to CRPGs
Tycoon Codex - http://www.tycooncodex.com - Management Simulations
Two pissant sites, one angry mob
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:33:19 AM

"kh" <kindheart01@excite.com> wrote in news:42e24be3_5@newsfeed.slurp.net:

> Church groups with lots of cash support them.

Bullshit. It's because America has a disproportionate amount of the world's
supply of lawyers as well as civil judges who are willing to let anything
any superfilious case be tried. Chruch groups don't have near the money to
support things like this and these lawyers stand to make millions from a
single suit against companies like EA who have billions of dollars.

This has little to do with Church groups and everything to do with how
borked our legal system is. About all a Church group can do is pass out
flyers. Jack Thompson isn't a reverend, preacher, bishop, or anything
remotely of a religious figurehead. He's a lawyer. That should be enough to
tip you off.

--------
Saint_Proverbius - "Doing wild stuff since 2001"
RPG Codex - http://www.rpgcodex.com - From Rogues to CRPGs
Tycoon Codex - http://www.tycooncodex.com - Management Simulations
Two pissant sites, one angry mob
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:42:24 AM

> Forewarned is forearmed.

Except it's the Democrats who are supporting this. I guess that shoots that
theory in the bud.

--------
Saint_Proverbius - "Doing wild stuff since 2001"
RPG Codex - http://www.rpgcodex.com - From Rogues to CRPGs
Tycoon Codex - http://www.tycooncodex.com - Management Simulations
Two pissant sites, one angry mob
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:36:19 PM

Yeah. After doing some reading on the subject I came up with a different
conclusion. Goes to show that reading first and speaking after is a better
course of action. Sorry.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 3:01:40 PM

Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> What about... a squid! Nono, too wriggly. An apple! No, too Adam
>> and
>> Eve. A television! Nah, dirty people could make jokes about "the
>> box". My. I don't think I could do it.
> Simple: fig leaf.

Yes, but what is _under_ the fig leaf? Apparently, there is something
to hide! Eeeevil! Maybe we should just put a hole there. No, wait...

>> Sometimes... personally, I prefer nude beaches over clothing
>> beaches
>> because there is no leering. If everyone is naked, it doesn't
>> matter
>> anymore. But many people don't feel that way (for example, my
>> Islamic
>> co-worker :-) ).
> My problem is there are some naked people I don't want to see naked.
> Anywhere.

Believe me, if everyone is naked it doesn't draw the eye anymore.
You'll see those people "less" than when you are wondering how they
would look like, on some level of your mind. I love nude beaches. They
make me so unselfconscious about my own body.

Not that I go there often, by the way. If I go to a beach once a year
it's much :-)

T.
July 24, 2005 3:22:00 PM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:49:05 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons)
wrote:

>Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
>
>>Strange country, the US. Nudity in games is the end of the world, but
>>violence and mass-murder in games seems to be OK.
>
>Umm... No.
>
>The issue raised over GTA and being whipped into a frenzy WRT TS2
>isn't nudity being in the game, but nudity being in the game without
>the appropriate rating on the box. A subtle but important difference.

Is it? Apparently it gets a lower rating if there's no nudity and a
higher rating if there is , right? In other words: nudity is worse
than violence.
July 24, 2005 3:34:20 PM

>> In which case it wouldn't matter at all, we would just laugh at them.
>> I remember when a few religious fanatics tried to persuade the
>> government to ban the movie " Life of Brian" when it came out on
>> video. They didn't succeed and the rest of us had a good laugh at
>> them:-)
>
>That was a great movie, but at the same time I can understand why they were
>upset about it, lol.

You're probably a lot smarter than me. I didn't get why they were
upset, I still don't get it.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:57:41 PM

Saint Dipshitius wrote:

> This has little to do with Church groups and everything to do with how
> borked our legal system is.

I thought Bork was a conservative.

P.S.: Please don't feed the troll and maybe he'll go away.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

Jeanie wrote:
>>>What about... a squid! Nono, too wriggly. An apple! No, too Adam and
>>>Eve. A television! Nah, dirty people could make jokes about "the
>>>box". My. I don't think I could do it.
>>
>>Simple: fig leaf.
>

> Terrific idea. And they can then have a new want pop up when they want to
> "turn over a new leaf" instead of "meet someone new...."

I think there should be apple trees in the game. When you click on one,
you get the choice "Eat fruit of knowledge." If you do, a figure kind
of like the Grim Reaper but with nicer robes comes along and yells at
you, then banishes you to the Sim bin. You then have to relocate your
family to another neighborhood--Camden, New Jersey.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

Saint Proverbius wrote:
> Cuthbert Gurdlestone <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote in
>

>>Forewarned is forearmed.
>

> Except it's the Democrats who are supporting this. I guess that shoots that
> theory in the bud.

Yeah, the "other" party that isn't the other party. The ones who voted
for the Patriot Act, then later said they'd just gone along with
Republicans because of all the 9/11 hysteria but were now against large
portions of it, and now have recently voted by and large to extend it
further.

Gotta love the U.S. "two-party" system.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

Guardian Pegasus <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in

> Go read what he said. And then tell me why he's after games like GTASA
> not for the violence and crime, but for the part showing two adults
> having sexual intercourse.

The majority of what he said was that The Sims 2 was a pedophile's virtual
playground.

> First of all, no you didn't. Not us, anyway. Secondly. How clichè. And
> thirdly, how long do you think you can hold something like that over
> someone's head and expect them to comply with all your rediculous
> demands?

Was the statement I made more or less of a cliche than the anti-American
stuff in the post I replied to? That was actually the point of me saying
that. There's no point in arguing with someone who thinks all American
society is made up of prudish morons with actual reasons and examples when
they've already made up their minds on the subject. Sometimes it's just
easier to reply with something equally as oversimplified.

--------
Saint_Proverbius - "Doing wild stuff since 2001"
RPG Codex - http://www.rpgcodex.com - From Rogues to CRPGs
Tycoon Codex - http://www.tycooncodex.com - Management Simulations
Two pissant sites, one angry mob
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:04:51 PM

> Gotta love the U.S. "two-party" system.

Too bad the libertarian party isn't bigger in the United States. I'd be
more inclined to vote for their candidate if I thought my vote would
actually count.

I'm not a big fan of the Patriot Act and I don't like the ruling from the
liberals on the Supreme Court that says that a town can take your land and
sell it to a developer if they think they can get more tax revenue out of
what the developer does with it. Between both acts from both sides of the
spectrum, we might as well just ditch the Fourth Amendment. You can now
search regardless because of the Patriot Act, and you can now sieze for any
reason due to that decision. So, what's the point in having that amendment?

--------
Saint_Proverbius - "Doing wild stuff since 2001"
RPG Codex - http://www.rpgcodex.com - From Rogues to CRPGs
Tycoon Codex - http://www.tycooncodex.com - Management Simulations
Two pissant sites, one angry mob
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:08:49 PM

> Saint Dipshitius wrote:
>
>> This has little to do with Church groups and everything to do with how
>> borked our legal system is.
>
> I thought Bork was a conservative.
>
> P.S.: Please don't feed the troll and maybe he'll go away.

This has a lot more to do with a skewed legal system than it does with any
religious motivations. I've said this in a few posts already, he's going
after games which make money - not the games with more severe content.

If it was radical fundamentalist religious motivation, Jack Thompson would
be targetting Singles 2 and not Sims 2. He'd be targetting Postal 2 and
Manhunter rather than GTA3.

He's in this to fatten his bank account, not because he's on a radical
fundamentalist moral crusade.

--------
Saint_Proverbius - "Doing wild stuff since 2001"
RPG Codex - http://www.rpgcodex.com - From Rogues to CRPGs
Tycoon Codex - http://www.tycooncodex.com - Management Simulations
Two pissant sites, one angry mob
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:01:57 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:20:47 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>First of all, no you didn't. Not us, anyway. Secondly. How clichè. And
>thirdly, how long do you think you can hold something like that over
>someone's head and expect them to comply with all your rediculous
>demands?

He's not "demanding" anything. All he's sick of is people taking
potshots at Americans every third post on the Internet.

Come to think of it, so am I.

-- Steve Lopez
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:01:58 AM

I like all the Americans I've met, it's just the morons that make the news
that usually piss me off.

"pulgao" <baayszhore@md.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:20:47 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
> <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:
>
>>First of all, no you didn't. Not us, anyway. Secondly. How clichè. And
>>thirdly, how long do you think you can hold something like that over
>>someone's head and expect them to comply with all your rediculous
>>demands?
>
> He's not "demanding" anything. All he's sick of is people taking
> potshots at Americans every third post on the Internet.
>
> Come to think of it, so am I.
>
> -- Steve Lopez
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:03:35 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:58:06 GMT, Saint Proverbius
<proverbius@NOSPAMrpgcodex.com> wrote:

>I'm not quite sure if Jack Thompson is a crack pot or not, but I think he's
>clearly after games which make money almost exclusively.

Why would you go after games that don't? Nobody's playing them. |-D

-- Steve Lopez
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:06:29 AM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 05:34:52 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>I think the general public does not get upset here, it's the ones that THINK
>they know what is the best way to do things that get upset. I would like to
>think that most parents know their child better than anyone else, anyway.

Bullseye. I won't let my kids play *any* version of GTA, but I don't
want (or need) somebody else telling me that.

-- Steve Lopez
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:08:15 AM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:38:17 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>And is it wrong that I want to corner him in a dark alley and kick his
>opportunistic little ass?

Yeah, it is.

And it's also wrong that I'd hold him down while you kicked him.

I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. |-D

-- Steve Lopez
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:14:37 AM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:04:46 GMT, Paul Heslop
<paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Why does America give so much time to these damned nutcases? HOW do
>they get into a position where people take notice of them?

It ain't by choice. It's all about money. You get into power because
you've got the ducats to make it happen. And the news media covers it
because it's about money and sensationalism, not "news".

I never saw one freaking *minute* about the Supreme Court decision
about right of eminent domain covered on TV. Not one. They couldn't
fit it in -- no time. They're too busy giving us fifteen minutes on
runaway brides and who Pamela Anderson is screwing.

-- Steve Lopez
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:50:39 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:42:48 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>I know it was just a typo, but 'cow-worker'...............heh

No, it wasn't. It was entirely deliberate. Picked that one up on the
message boards for help desk and tech support people.

>Dang I've missed your posts.
>Don't go back to lurking, we need you here.

Thanks, but I don't have a lot to offer anymore (not like I ever did
anyway) since I don't have Sims2.

-- Steve Lopez
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:55:03 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:32:48 -0400, "Rhiannon" <boxall_1@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>I like all the Americans I've met, it's just the morons that make the news
>that usually piss me off.

They piss *us* off, too.

Cuts both ways, though. I used to not think much of Canadians because
of all the anti-Statesian Canucks I used to run across online. But
when I vacationed in Canada, all the people I met were really friendly
and first rate. I guess the 'Net brings out the worst in folks and
it's really no way to judge.

-- Steve Lopez
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:39:27 AM

baayszhore@md.net (pulgao) wrote in news:42e46f4f.23684094@localhost:

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:32:48 -0400, "Rhiannon" <boxall_1@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>I like all the Americans I've met, it's just the morons that make the
>>news that usually piss me off.
>
> They piss *us* off, too.

Agreed. That's the main reason I actually stopped lurking was because this
whole Jack Thompson thing is something that people should actually be
pissed off about. So, I started reading this thread and contributing
because, yeah, I think it's disgusting there's a guy like Jack Thompson out
there who makes a living doing the things he does.

Then I notice this thread turn quickly in to another, "Let's bash
America!" thread. It's really getting old at this point, especially when
you come to express an outrage we *all* share as players of the game. This
guy doesn't represent America or even a majority of Americans. About all he
represents to me is a problem with our Nation's tort system.

And honestly, if I were wanting to make a serious point about the
accomplishments of Americans, I wouldn't have done the cliche that
Americans won WW2. I would have pointed out that the reason we're all here
is because a group of Americans made a game that was published by a company
that started in America.

Bashing Americans doesn't help here. Bashing Jack Thompson doesn't help
much either, though it's rather fun. Bashing his argument is really the
direction we should be going in since he's trying to make his fortune off
of a war of ideas.

--------
Saint_Proverbius - "Doing wild stuff since 2001"
RPG Codex - http://www.rpgcodex.com - From Rogues to CRPGs
Tycoon Codex - http://www.tycooncodex.com - Management Simulations
Two pissant sites, one angry mob
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:39:28 AM

"Saint Proverbius" <proverbius@NOSPAMrpgcodex.com> wrote in message
> baayszhore@md.net (pulgao) wrote in news:42e46f4f.23684094@localhost:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:32:48 -0400, "Rhiannon" <boxall_1@sympatico.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I like all the Americans I've met, it's just the morons that make the
>>>news that usually piss me off.
>>
>> They piss *us* off, too.
>
> Agreed. That's the main reason I actually stopped lurking was because this
> whole Jack Thompson thing is something that people should actually be
> pissed off about. So, I started reading this thread and contributing
> because, yeah, I think it's disgusting there's a guy like Jack Thompson
> out
> there who makes a living doing the things he does.
>
> Then I notice this thread turn quickly in to another, "Let's bash
> America!" thread. It's really getting old at this point, especially when
> you come to express an outrage we *all* share as players of the game. This
> guy doesn't represent America or even a majority of Americans. About all
> he
> represents to me is a problem with our Nation's tort system.
>
> And honestly, if I were wanting to make a serious point about the
> accomplishments of Americans, I wouldn't have done the cliche that
> Americans won WW2. I would have pointed out that the reason we're all here
> is because a group of Americans made a game that was published by a
> company
> that started in America.
>
> Bashing Americans doesn't help here. Bashing Jack Thompson doesn't help
> much either, though it's rather fun. Bashing his argument is really the
> direction we should be going in since he's trying to make his fortune off
> of a war of ideas.
>
> --------
> Saint_Proverbius - "Doing wild stuff since 2001"
> RPG Codex - http://www.rpgcodex.com - From Rogues to CRPGs
> Tycoon Codex - http://www.tycooncodex.com - Management Simulations
> Two pissant sites, one angry mob

I seems to me that bashing America has been a good thing.
Battling political stupidity was what this country was founded on.
It keeps us on are toes.
But, It is more accepted when we are doing it.

Back in the 40's, 50's, and early 60's it was taboo to insult U.S.A.
Then in the 60's and 70's it got popular to do so.
Now it is going the other way again.
We have always done better when we looked critically at what we are doing.
In fact it is are patriotic duty to bash every rotten idea that politicians
come up with.