Uh-oh - Now they're after The Sims....

Okay, from what I gather, the guy has never actually played the sims.
Sounds like he is going on hearsay alone.
Also, reminds me of another Ralph Nader, who never drove yet had the nerve
to judge cars. I seriously hope that EA Games does not give in to such
nonsense.

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.html
>

> I was afraid of this.

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

>> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.html
>>

>> I was afraid of this.
> Okay, from what I gather, the guy has never actually played the sims.
> Sounds like he is going on hearsay alone.
> Also, reminds me of another Ralph Nader, who never drove yet had the
nerve
> to judge cars. I seriously hope that EA Games does not give in to such
> nonsense.

Well, that's it's not whether EA gives into all of this that's really
the problem. It's whether these pressure groups can get their paid for
members of Congress to legislate about it, and get rid of the ESRB. The
ESRB is a voluntary setup by the gaming industry to make sure that
people who are suitable to play games can do so. And it would all work
fine if parents were responsible and didn't let their eight-year-old
children play GTA.

And clearly this guy's never played The Sims - and probably doesn't
actually believe the stuff he's saying - just as Hillary Clinton has
never played San Andreas.

While I feel that our colonial cousins can do whatever they wish to
themselves, I can help feeling that it's going to affect us back here in
Blighty...

CK

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:50:09 -0500, "Jeremy Reaban"
<trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I was afraid of this.

LOL, what a moron! The only genitalia in the sims in his twisted
little brain!

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:18:37 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>I don't think so, but the attitude is different in Europe and other
>countries. At least, as far as I know it is :)

I'm familiar with both sides of ocean, and I would have to concurr.

Jeremy Reaban wrote:

> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.html
>
> I was afraid of this.

Why does America give so much time to these damned nutcases? HOW do
they get into a position where people take notice of them?
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

strider

>Someone, somewhere, has seen a great opportunity to further their cause. And
>what if they win? Would you 'return your game' and think 'thank goodness I
>am no longer playing that filth?'

For what reason? Nudity? I would have no problems letting anyone no
matter their age play the Sims 2 or Singles 2 if they wanted to.
Nudity's never harmed anyone. Besides, if anyone want nudity they can
take a trip to the nearest beach and get as much as they want:)
There's also plenty of it on TV:)

Strange country, the US. Nudity in games is the end of the world, but
violence and mass-murder in games seems to be OK.

"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message

>>Someone, somewhere, has seen a great opportunity to further their cause.
>>And
>>what if they win? Would you 'return your game' and think 'thank goodness I
>>am no longer playing that filth?'
>
> For what reason? Nudity?

No-no. You miss my point, prob my fault. Never mind the reasons they are
being thrashed out elsewhere in the thread in a more hysterical manner. I am
saying what if the end result is against maxi -if they ever get as far as
fighting, that is?

In such a case we, the players, wouldn't, by law, have an option. We would
be obliged to return our games. (ignore various country laws for the sake of
argument)

Absolute madness of course, but some people are stark-staring bonkers anyway
and would see a ban as an excellent result. Purity, and all that jazz.

Does anyone know a good website where this lobby group air their views? I
would love to read it. A good scream would do me the world of good.

strider

>No-no. You miss my point, prob my fault. Never mind the reasons they are
>being thrashed out elsewhere in the thread in a more hysterical manner. I am
>saying what if the end result is against maxi -if they ever get as far as
>fighting, that is?
>
>In such a case we, the players, wouldn't, by law, have an option. We would
>be obliged to return our games. (ignore various country laws for the sake of
>argument)

I can't really do that, I know very little about US laws. And the game
is sold in other countries too. Even if the US players was forced to
return it how could they force players in other countries to return
it? It wouldn't affect me because no law can force me to return
anything I bought when it was legal to buy it. Anyway, I could still
play Singles 2, I'd be very surprised if the Germans ban it for
nudity:)

strider

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 05:34:52 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>I think the general public does not get upset here, it's the ones that THINK
>they know what is the best way to do things that get upset. I would like to

In which case it wouldn't matter at all, we would just laugh at them.
I remember when a few religious fanatics tried to persuade the
government to ban the movie " Life of Brian" when it came out on
video. They didn't succeed and the rest of us had a good laugh at
them:)

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 05:34:52 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:
>
>>I think the general public does not get upset here, it's the ones that
>>THINK
>>they know what is the best way to do things that get upset. I would like
>
> In which case it wouldn't matter at all, we would just laugh at them.
> I remember when a few religious fanatics tried to persuade the
> government to ban the movie " Life of Brian" when it came out on
> video. They didn't succeed and the rest of us had a good laugh at
> them:)

That was a great movie, but at the same time I can understand why they were
upset about it, lol.

> Well, one hopes so. I'm wondering what you could possibly put in in place
> of the blur that wouldn't imply something underneath. I mean we're all
> built that way - well, nearly all of us - and even if you replaced the sim
> crotches with, say, a ... red toy train or something, it would still be
> something standing in for a crotch. And anyway, a red toy train on the
> men
> would imply - or rather 'suggest' - something else entirely!!

Exactly!!!!

There is always the option to buid a Sim withlout a crotch, I suppose.... 8(
Then it would be a mermaid, and raise the ire of some animal rights group.

Now I feel
> like I'm starting to stray into Monty Python territory...

A good - but warped - lawyer wouldn;t think so. All fuel for the fire.
I have been doing some heavy reading since this morning. My, there are some
seriously troubled people out there. One wonders what goes on in the mind of
those who see sin everywhere.
But I won;t stray into that territory.

V.

"Veronica L" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Now I feel
> > like I'm starting to stray into Monty Python territory...
> >
> A good - but warped - lawyer wouldn;t think so. All fuel for the fire.
> I have been doing some heavy reading since this morning. My, there are
some
> seriously troubled people out there. One wonders what goes on in the mind
of
> those who see sin everywhere.
> But I won;t stray into that territory.
>
> V.
Why? It's never stopped you before!

Veronica L wrote:

> One wonders what goes on in the mind of
> those who see sin everywhere.

They're currently planning the campaign for "Jeb 2008."

--
--Cuth

Betty

"Cuthbert Gurdlestone" <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote in
message news:42E28049.8020504@earthlink.net...
> Veronica L wrote:
>

>> One wonders what goes on in the mind of
>> those who see sin everywhere.
>
> They're currently planning the campaign for "Jeb 2008."
>
> --
> --Cuth

You could have talked all day without saying something that ugly. LOL
Help us all!!!!

Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:

>Strange country, the US. Nudity in games is the end of the world, but
>violence and mass-murder in games seems to be OK.

Umm... No.

The issue raised over GTA and being whipped into a frenzy WRT TS2
isn't nudity being in the game, but nudity being in the game without
the appropriate rating on the box. A subtle but important difference.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Maxon wrote:

> Well, one hopes so. I'm wondering what you could possibly put in in
> place of the blur that wouldn't imply something underneath.

They should wear underwear at all times? Like they don't drop their
clothes when peeing?

> I mean
> we're all built that way - well, nearly all of us - and even if you
> replaced the sim crotches with, say, a ... red toy train or
> something, it would still be something standing in for a crotch.
> And
> anyway, a red toy train on the men would imply - or rather 'suggest'
> - something else entirely!! Now I feel like I'm starting to stray
> into Monty Python territory...

What about... a squid! Nono, too wriggly. An apple! No, too Adam and
Eve. A television! Nah, dirty people could make jokes about "the box".
My. I don't think I could do it.

> Anyway (takes deep breath), perhaps according to Thompson's argument
> Maxis should leave the blur off altogether just to show that there's
> nothing to hide or be ashamed of. Which, as I understand it, is
> basically the German/Dutch/general European point of view
> (summarised
> as 'Bodies, we all have one, get over it!').

Sometimes... personally, I prefer nude beaches over clothing beaches
because there is no leering. If everyone is naked, it doesn't matter
anymore. But many people don't feel that way (for example, my Islamic
co-worker :) ).

> And who gets embarrassed by Ken and Barbie bodies anyway? Well,
> unless you
> actually have one, that is.

ROFL!

T.

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> Maxon wrote:
>
> > Well, one hopes so. I'm wondering what you could possibly put in in
> > place of the blur that wouldn't imply something underneath.
>
> They should wear underwear at all times? Like they don't drop their
> clothes when peeing?
>
> > I mean
> > we're all built that way - well, nearly all of us - and even if you
> > replaced the sim crotches with, say, a ... red toy train or
> > something, it would still be something standing in for a crotch.
> > And
> > anyway, a red toy train on the men would imply - or rather 'suggest'
> > - something else entirely!! Now I feel like I'm starting to stray
> > into Monty Python territory...
>
> What about... a squid! Nono, too wriggly. An apple! No, too Adam and
> Eve. A television! Nah, dirty people could make jokes about "the box".
> My. I don't think I could do it.

My mind is boggling as we speak!!

> > Anyway (takes deep breath), perhaps according to Thompson's argument
> > Maxis should leave the blur off altogether just to show that there's
> > nothing to hide or be ashamed of. Which, as I understand it, is
> > basically the German/Dutch/general European point of view
> > (summarised
> > as 'Bodies, we all have one, get over it!').
>
> Sometimes... personally, I prefer nude beaches over clothing beaches
> because there is no leering. If everyone is naked, it doesn't matter
> anymore. But many people don't feel that way (for example, my Islamic
> co-worker :) ).

Yes, exactly.

Best wishes
Maxon

Taemon wrote:

> They should wear underwear at all times? Like they don't drop their
> clothes when peeing?

They don't, actually. I've often wondered what their dry-cleaning bill
looks like.

> What about... a squid! Nono, too wriggly. An apple! No, too Adam and
> Eve. A television! Nah, dirty people could make jokes about "the box".
> My. I don't think I could do it.

Simple: fig leaf.

> Sometimes... personally, I prefer nude beaches over clothing beaches
> because there is no leering. If everyone is naked, it doesn't matter
> anymore. But many people don't feel that way (for example, my Islamic
> co-worker :) ).

My problem is there are some naked people I don't want to see naked.
Anywhere.

>>And who gets embarrassed by Ken and Barbie bodies anyway?

Fundees and Republicans. They're embarrassed by anything slightly
sensual. I'm convinced the only way they can sport an erection is if
they read the stock pages.

--
--Cuth

Betty wrote:
> "Cuthbert Gurdlestone" <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote in
> message news:42E28049.8020504@earthlink.net...
>
>>Veronica L wrote:
>>

>>>One wonders what goes on in the mind of
>>>those who see sin everywhere.
>>
>>They're currently planning the campaign for "Jeb 2008."
>>
>>--
>>--Cuth
>>

> You could have talked all day without saying something that ugly. LOL
> Help us all!!!!

Forewarned is forearmed.

--
--Cuth

>> What about... a squid! Nono, too wriggly. An apple! No, too Adam and
>> Eve. A television! Nah, dirty people could make jokes about "the
>> box". My. I don't think I could do it.
>
> Simple: fig leaf.

Terrific idea. And they can then have a new want pop up when they want to
"turn over a new leaf" instead of "meet someone new...."

Jeanie

news:truEe.449$m4.417@newsfe1- One wonders what goes on in the mind
> of
>> those who see sin everywhere.
>> But I won;t stray into that territory.
>>
>> V.
> Why? It's never stopped you before!

Whats the smiley for bursting into tears and running away?