Blue Screen Problem

strykerx

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I recently upgraded my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2) CPU (AMD Phenom x4 9600) my graphics card (Geforce 9600 GSO) and ram (2 sticks of 2 gb OCX PC1600)
and my computer runs fine at the start but randomly it gets a bsod (error 124) and shuts off. Sometimes the computer lasts for hours and hours... sometimes just a few minutes. Ive run various tests such as CPU, GPU and Memory tests, all came back with no problems found. I had windows 7 installed, but then downgraded to vista x64. and the problems seemed to lighten up, but now it seems to get a bsod more frequently.
Im out of ideas of what the problem could be.

Did you do a fresh installation of Windows after you upgraded all your hardware? If not, that's most likely the cause of your BSOD's.

Incorrect RAM settings are also a common cause of BSOD's. What program did you use to test your RAM? Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS? I've seen RAM with the voltage set to low pass Memtest86+, but then fail in real world use.

strykerx

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I did do a fresh install after upgrading, first to win7 then to vista.
I used Memtest and also did a stress test wtih Prime95.
My bios doesnt let me change my timings for some reason but my speed and voltage are set correctly.

strykerx

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Ive tested the ram overnight with no problems, and i have used the motherboard's onboard video, with the same problem.