Sign in with
Your question

I want to overclock my kentsfield Q6700 2.66 to 3

Last response: in Overclocking
October 18, 2011 4:46:37 PM

hello there

so this is kinda my first time trying to overclock anything on my cpu, so i kinda need some help from you guys

okay to start of

I have
PSU : Corsair GS700w
Mobo : ASRock G41m-vs3 r2.0
RAM : 2 sticks of 2gig Corsair Gaming Memory DDR3
GPU : 8800GT INNO3d OC Edition
Procie : Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66
Procie : A stock cooler master i guess cause this cpu has been passed on to me by my friend, oh and i have no plans of changing it whatsoever

as for display im running on 1680x1050
i'm running On vista home premium sp2 btw if that helps.

Hoping for your kind response ;) 
a b K Overclocking
October 19, 2011 6:51:47 AM

3ghz may or may not be achieveable, its not much of an OC. Do us a favor and clean out all the dust in your PC and than stress test it and tell us the max temp you get. Will give us a better guideline.

But in general we recomend a new heatsink because it makes a HUGE difference in heat. Theres an overclocking wiki on this forum, go to it and open it up and it has an OC guide on your type of processor which is a good read. I recommend that over listening to someones elses advice on the forum on how to overclock as what was posted we know is good and accurate and explains everything really well.

From what I recall the q6600 and q6700 CPU's usually hit a wall at around 3.6ghz or so, and that was with an aftermarket heatsink. But I do recall some people doing an OC around 3ghz on a stock heatsink but they already had decent cooling in their cases, it wasn't pretty for temps but it got the job done.
a c 197 K Overclocking
a c 172 à CPUs
October 19, 2011 7:31:09 AM

I was able to run my Q6600 at 3.0 GHz with the stock cooler. Upper limits of the Kentsfiels is around 3.6 GHz. One person here reported a stable 3.8 GHz.

I am not familiar with the AsRock BIOS. I suspect that it is similar to the Asus BIOS. Your limiting factor is going to be the motherboard. The G41 chipset has an upper FSB limit of about 350 MHz.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend. If not AsRock, try looking for a guide for the Asus Core2 boards.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Keep your core voltage under 1.50 volts and your load temps under 70 C.

Even with a good cooler, you will reach thermal limits be fore you reach CPU voltage limits.
Related resources
October 19, 2011 3:21:18 PM

jsc said:
I was able to run my Q6600 at 3.0 GHz with the stock cooler. Upper limits of the Kentsfiels is around 3.6 GHz. One person here reported a stable 3.8 GHz.

I am not familiar with the AsRock BIOS. I suspect that it is similar to the Asus BIOS. Your limiting factor is going to be the motherboard. The G41 chipset has an upper FSB limit of about 350 MHz.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend. If not AsRock, try looking for a guide for the Asus Core2 boards.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Keep your core voltage under 1.50 volts and your load temps under 70 C.

Even with a good cooler, you will reach thermal limits be fore you reach CPU voltage limits.

im reading it but i, quite not getting the point yet

here's a screenshot of some of my specs
a c 197 K Overclocking
a c 172 à CPUs
October 20, 2011 2:15:46 PM

What don't you understand?

Keep in mind that none of the serious overclockers here use Windows utilities for overclocking. We all use the BIOS, because the BIOS gives us more control and generally a higher overclock. The other problem with Win OC utilities is that they depend on automatic voltage settings and you never know exactly what the system is doing at any time.

The problem with using the BIOS is that there's a pretty steep learning curve. Overclocking a Core2 quad can be a black art, best done at midnight in the light of a full moon.

You have three controls on the OC Tuner control panel. CPU ratio is locked at X10 for your CPU. You can lower it but you cannot increase it. You should leave the PCI frequency at 100 MHz. FSB fequency is what you will use for overclocking. Based on personal experience with the G41 (I have three in office systems) and what I have read, the upper FSB limit is 340 - 360 MHz, depending on the sample.

If you are going to use OC Tuner, you do not really need us. All you need to do is stay within the voltage and temperature limits, and you know what those are.

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 4:06:26 PM

I was only able to get my Q6700 to 3150, but it's a big performance increase over 2600 and will last you a couple more years with a decent video card.

I achieved a higher clock with the 9x multiplier (350x9). I was only able to get to 3000 with the 10x mulitplier (300x10). I also did a slight voltage bump. More voltage didn't help in my case so I backed it back down as low as I could and still be stable, which was just slightly higher than stock voltage.

They are all different though, some will hit 3600. You have to understand how raising the fsb affects your memory though or your overclock will fail regardless. If your running your memory faster than it's capable of running your overclock will fail. You have to either unlink your cpu/fsb (some boards have this option) or change the fsb/dimm RATIO so that it lowers the ram back down to its proper speed after you've raised it by raising the fsb to overclock the cpu.

!