Sign in with
Your question

Wireless Signal and Connectivity

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 31, 2010 11:46:56 PM

My wireless router is a Linksys WRT610N, and I have 3 devices usually using it at the same time at any one moment. They are all Windows XP SP2 boxes. Two of them never have an issue connecting to the network and staying connected (though one is plugged into the switch in the router via ethernet cable). My third device is what gives me the trouble. It boots up fine and finds the network and automatically connects to it, as the others do. But eventually it will have limited or no connectivity despite an excellent signal strength. Repairing the connection fixes it up just fine, but it is a very annoying issue. And it seems to happen every few hours. At first I figured it was a problem with DHCP so I gave it a static IP address, but that did not work. I am very confused as to what this can be. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
February 1, 2010 1:23:00 AM

Are there other networks in the area on your same channel ? - I finally ran some new wiring to my system because on some nights my wireless would pick up 8 other networks in our local area not to mention the interference from the wireless phones and even our microwave that would make me lose the signal anytime it was running ! - check for other network signals using NEtStumbler ( http://www.freevistafiles.com/NetStumbler-com+NetStumbl... ) or a similar program and see what other networks might be interefering and then try changing your router to a specific channel other than the ones they are using to see if you can get a better signal strength without the intereference.
!