CONFIGSYSTEM file missing or corrupt

July 27, 2004 2:38:38 PM

Trying to help with a computer that can't get to
Windows. When you startup, get a message : "Windows
could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM You can
attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first
screen to start repair."She had made some boot floppies
for XP; I tried putting in the first one and it only
cycled from the startup screens to searching for Boot
record from floppy (1st bootable device) to new screen
with "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware
configuration." and then back again to startup screens.
I'm not sure if she has good boot floppies or not, but
wouldn't it ask to put in 2nd floppy, 3rd etc.?
I found no place that I could type in the 'r" to
repair. Please help.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:16:07 PM

Barb, if you don't have a WinXP CD the easest thing to do is to remove
the hard drive and connect it to
a working computer as slave or master on the secondary ide channel. From
there go to
X:\Windows\System32\Config Folder and delete System, Sam, Software,
Default and Security.
Then back up one to X:\Windows\Repair Folder. Copy those same five
files and return to the Config
folder and paste. That should do it and is exactly what is done
here. Follow the instructions in the KB
Article below if you do have a WinXP CD and can get into the Recovery
Console.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545
X=Drive Letter of the drive that needs repair.

"Barb Z" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to help with a computer that can't get to
> Windows. When you startup, get a message : "Windows
> could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM You can
> attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
> using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first
> screen to start repair."She had made some boot floppies
> for XP; I tried putting in the first one and it only
> cycled from the startup screens to searching for Boot
> record from floppy (1st bootable device) to new screen
> with "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware
> configuration." and then back again to startup screens.
> I'm not sure if she has good boot floppies or not, but
> wouldn't it ask to put in 2nd floppy, 3rd etc.?
> I found no place that I could type in the 'r" to
> repair. Please help.

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 8:03:58 PM

Rich -
I set the BIOS for CDROM, and tried the Xp CD she gave
me. I get same message re: Windows can't start...
I can't get to a screen that gives me the R option. She
did mention that they upgraded from WinMe ( I don't know
how long ago), but would the Xp CD say upgrade?? I'm
trying to contact her to get more info, please advise if
you have anything that might help or what more I should
ask her.
In your first post, please clarify "Then back up
one..." - do you mean back up the X:Config folder or
back up from the working computer?
I will check out the KB article also. Thanks.

July 28, 2004 12:05:40 AM

Greetings --

The precise recovery steps are here:

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Barb Z" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to help with a computer that can't get to
> Windows. When you startup, get a message : "Windows
> could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM You can
> attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
> using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first
> screen to start repair."She had made some boot floppies
> for XP; I tried putting in the first one and it only
> cycled from the startup screens to searching for Boot
> record from floppy (1st bootable device) to new screen
> with "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware
> configuration." and then back again to startup screens.
> I'm not sure if she has good boot floppies or not, but
> wouldn't it ask to put in 2nd floppy, 3rd etc.?
> I found no place that I could type in the 'r" to
> repair. Please help.

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:58:00 AM

Barb, what I meant was to go to the X:\Windows\Repair Folder. Copy the
five files from
the Repair folder and then go back to X:\Windows\System32\Config Folder
and Paste the five files. So in
essence you started at the Config Folder and deleted the five files.
Then you copied the same five files
from the Repair Folder and then you go back to the Config Folder and paste
those five files.
> Rich -
> I set the BIOS for CDROM, and tried the Xp CD she gave
> me. I get same message re: Windows can't start...
> I can't get to a screen that gives me the R option. She
> did mention that they upgraded from WinMe ( I don't know
> how long ago), but would the Xp CD say upgrade?? I'm
> trying to contact her to get more info, please advise if
> you have anything that might help or what more I should
> ask her.
> In your first post, please clarify "Then back up
> one..." - do you mean back up the X:Config folder or
> back up from the working computer?
> I will check out the KB article also. Thanks.

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 12:31:20 PM

Rich -
Have been trying to do stuff w/ her Xp Install CD, but
got nowhere. Didn't get to this at all Wed, but today, I
got her HD out and put it in mine. I'm ready to start,
but I forgot 1 key ?: The KB article says under Part one
(1st para.) that "any changes and settings that occurred
after the Setup program was fin'd are lost." I'm
wondering if she will lose all her pictures that she
wants to save.

!