Wich version do you reccomand?

Hello,
I'll get straight to the point.
Hardware:
CPU : Intel DualCore E6700 3.2Ghz
MB : MSI G41M-P23
RAM : Corsair 4GB, DDR3, 1333MHz
GFX : MSI nVidia 9800 GT MD1G, 1GB.

I am running windows XP since like...forever...loved it, hacked it, crashed it,cleaned it , used it again and so on...
I want to make the transition to Windows 7.. yes...i know it' s a bit to late...
Could some of you give some advice regarding whether it should be 32 or 64 bit version?
13 answers Last reply
More about wich version reccomand
  1. dyngoman said:
    Hello,
    Hardware:

I am running windows XP since like...forever...loved it, hacked it, crashed it,cleaned it , used it again and so on...
    I want to make the transition to Windows 7.. yes...i know it' s a bit to late...
    Could some of you give some advice regarding whether it should be 32 or 64 bit version?

64bit Home Premium. The only reason for 32bit used to be lack of drivers and some compatibility issues. But these have now been solved.

With 32bit you won't be able to use the full 4GB of ram.

There's little extra benefit of Ultimate and Professional over Home Premium, unless you want to backup to a network, use Windows XP Mode or use bitlocker encryption.
  2. If you buy retail, you get both. OEM you get either 32 or 64 bit disc. Go with 64 bit is the wise decidion since you have 4GB RAM.

For comparison of functions between differnt versions of window, see table here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare
  3. 99% of user will do just fine with x64 Home Premium.

Those that connect to a Home or Small Business Domain or require disk encryption should go for Professional.

OEM is tied to a single motherbaord model, while RETAIL can be used with any upgrades you do and can be transferred between PC's, but with only 1 active install.
  4. Agreed with 64bit Home Premium. You won't regret it.
  5. Also agree on 64bit Home Premium. OEM
  6. Yes Win7 64 bit Home premium OEM FTW.
  7. dyngoman said:
    Hello,
    Hardware:

Get 64x Windows 7 Home Premium OEM.

The base level Win7 has potential to be unlocked to Ultimate, if you decide to do so in the future.

Windows 7 Home Premium is Ultimate edition with locked features. As you upgrade to ultimate, Windows just unlocks features. It is great for a basic user as it allows you to upgrade versions without having to worry about losing your files.
  8. now, you know what to take :D
  9. Great deal ^
  10. Thank you all for your advises, they have been very usefull. I have installed Windows 7 x64 on my machine and beside some issues with the second partition on witch chdisk utility rewrote the indexes on every file, everything works fine now and haven't lost any data. There have been some other minor tweaks to be done but overall it works much better then the old XP.
  11. dyngoman, if u wan't to see some tweaking "guide" u may take a look at this. Back up your registry first!, if u actually try something.

Good way to understand, whats under the hood : )

http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Product MSI-Microstar