Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cougar
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
November 12, 2009 6:59:00 AM

Hello...

I just want some feedback from you guys about the Hec Cougar 1000w PSU: (Preferably if you own one right now or sometime in the past)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If its a good brand to have.

here is the specs I plan on ordering:

Processor: Intel i7 920
Motherboard: ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU: HEC Cougar 1000 1000w
Memory: 3x DDR3 2GB 1333Mhz Kingston
HDD: SATA 640Gig Western Digital
DVD Optical drive: DVD WRITER Samsung WHT/BLK 22X SATA
Video card: Power color HD5770 GDDR5 PCIE 1GTV256B 2DVI HDMI
Monitor: 22" Philips 220e1sb

Thanks

More about : feedback hec cougar 1000 1000w

a c 248 ) Power supply
November 12, 2009 11:01:20 AM

HEC is not known for high quality power supplies. The first red flag is the one year warranty. High quality power supplies come with a 5 year warranty. The second red flag are the specifications. They are highly overestimated. The unit can't deliver the goods. The third red flag is your list of components. You do not need a 1,000 watt power supply. It is beyond overkill

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Here are the ATI recommended power supply requirements for the new ATI Radeon HD 5770 and 5750 video cards that just became available:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended

600 Watt and two 75 watt 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

That's for the entire system. Figure about 40 amps on the 12 volt rail for Crossfire mode.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.
m
l
November 12, 2009 1:50:14 PM

Thanks for the insights John.

yeah i know that this HEC PSU is questionable, but I do not have the luxury of being in the United States and have a wide selection of vendors....(im from the philippines).

The 1st PSU i ordered from my local supplier is a Corsair 750w, but the stocks have run out. And they don't have any other PSU for sale. I have no choice but bite the bullet and get this one instead.

Im going to crossfire in the future anyway, and since most of the specs i have is futureproof (?) i might concentrate on buying high end vid cards (maybe an hd5870x2) and HDD's....
m
l
!