External hard drive power cord

gymshoes107

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hello,
my son just got out of the Royal Marines and had been saving all of his pictures on a 220v ext HD. He has lost the power cord for it and therefore all of the pictures etc and the HD has no markings on it at all,like make and model. Is there a way I can send a picture of it somewhere to get some help identifying it and possibly a replacement cord. Thanks

Is it a desktop style drive or a laptop style (i.e., is it in a "big" or a "small" enclosure)?

All of the smaller laptop drives I've seen take 5V power (and most can be powered via the USB data connection). Take the drive with you to Radio Shack - any 5V adapter with a power plug that fits should work as long as it can supply at least 500mA of current.

The full-size drives often require 5V and 12V which is a more customized adapter with multiple pins.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Sminlal is right, it shouldn't make any difference if the power block converted 220V or 110V to either 5V for 2.5" external drives or 12 V for external 3.5" drives. The fact that it does have a power connector makes me think it is a 3.5", or you could just power it thru the USB plug.

The short answer to your question is you can take a digital photo of the drive, the front connector that goes to a computer (probably USB) and the power plug probably on the back. You have to open a free account with ImageShack, upload the photos, and then post the link to the images back here.

The URL is http://imageshack.us

It sounds much more complicated than it is, but then the image link shows up on Tom's Hardware in your post.
That way everyone can take a look and give you good advice.

What country was the ext drive purchased in? and is all the utillity power 220V there?

bowen93

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

if you know anything about computers just get another external enclosure to put the hdd into for about a tenner or put the hdd into your desktop pc i can give you companies in the uk that sell the enclosures and normally only consist of between 4-6 screws to be removed depending on the enclosure. i make all of my own external hdds