Sign in with
Your question

Antec Earthwatts 500W and my new HD4870

Last response: in Components
November 12, 2009 7:07:08 AM

Hi,
I've done as much homework as my head will let me. I've run the PSU Calulcator Pro and have noted the results. Two questions... under my current rig have I enough power to plug in a new HD4870. And if I were to overclock and add another HD4870 what PSU to get. (Thanks in advance).

I7 920 with stock cooler
Asus P6T SE
Corsair DOmiinator 6GB
Creative soundcard
2 Sata HDD
Powercolor HD4870
DVD writer
Internal fan

From PSU calculator
334 recommended wattage
6.1A 10.2A 21.9A (Combined)
Min UPS 477VA
Recommended 600VA

If I were to overclock (and replace stock cooler) and add another HD4870 (6-12 months time)...
474 recommended
6.6A 11.4A 32.9A
Min UPS 677VA
REcommended 800VA

These all sound very high requirements... I hoped a corsair 650 or Antec Truepower New 650 would do the trick. Modular or single rail for my rig?
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2009 10:04:40 AM

Langy3366 said:
I hoped a corsair 650 or Antec Truepower New 650 would do the trick. Modular or single rail for my rig?

Either should work just fine, and it doesn't matter.
November 12, 2009 10:17:05 AM

thanks, I should have stated I currently have a Antec Earthwatts 500. I hope to use this for a short time before upgrading to the 650W. Is this OK for no overclocking and a HD4870?
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2009 10:33:21 AM

Ok even with some overclocking, they're good little psu's.
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2009 10:34:13 AM

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.
November 12, 2009 1:39:24 PM

Thanks All,
I added the HD4870 and all is well in the houshold once more. Not sure if this is the right way to check on usage but I have a plug in power monitor between the mains cable and my power surge. I guess this tells me the total wattage (amongst other things) in real time. At start up it reached 230Watts and during 3DMARK06 it peaked at 260W on the last section (the ice and snow one). So I probably could conclude a safe gap between PSU recommended and actual?

I know this is not an 'in the box' measurement, but I would suspect it gives a fair indication?

Maybe a bit of space for a little oc'ing on the CPU at some point in the near future. (or am I being greedy?)
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2009 2:07:29 PM

Most of the web sites that do technical reviews use a device like yours that measures total power draw at the wall outlet (mains). That's why the power consumption charts in the technical reviews are for total power draw for an entire pc system.

We now have a web site or two that have new equipment which actually allows them the measure the power consumption of individual components during various power consumption tests.

Of particular interest is the difference between power consumption during a gaming session and stress tests such as OCCT and FurMark. The maximum power draw during gaming is much less than the power draw during heavy duty stress testing. I think the power consumption charts for stress testing are influencing users thoughts about power supplies.
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2009 2:09:30 PM

Langy3366 said:
Thanks All,
I added the HD4870 and all is well in the houshold once more. Not sure if this is the right way to check on usage but I have a plug in power monitor between the mains cable and my power surge. I guess this tells me the total wattage (amongst other things) in real time. At start up it reached 230Watts and during 3DMARK06 it peaked at 260W on the last section (the ice and snow one). So I probably could conclude a safe gap between PSU recommended and actual?

I know this is not an 'in the box' measurement, but I would suspect it gives a fair indication?

Maybe a bit of space for a little oc'ing on the CPU at some point in the near future. (or am I being greedy?)

The wall monitor shows AC consumption, actual DC consumptiom will be approximately 80% of that ( so roughly a peak load of 210 watts ) leaving plenty of room for overclocking.
November 12, 2009 2:22:41 PM

Ahhh!

Now I remember my Physics lessons from 30 years ago. So sounding very good to me. Hopefully this will help a lot of people with this particular rig.

Just for laughs I ran Prime95 and 3DMark06 at the same time... total usage at the plug peaked at 340W. Didn't leave it on for long as it was a bit scarey on a new GPU.
!