Sign in with
Your question

MB dead?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 9, 2010 12:04:42 AM

I recently had my pc stop working correctly. Whenever I would load any 3d application it would bsod/artifacts on screen. I took out the video card(4870) and tested it in my bro's pc. Worked fine. I put an 8400gs in my pc, and it would run fine so i figured my ps needed to be replaced. I ordered the 500W OCZ on newegg for $40. I hooked everything up, then flippede the switch on the ps. The mobo green light came so I went to boot up. When I pressed the power button, I heard my drive spin for >1 sec and the blue power light on my somputer came on for >1 sec then my pc would just power off. No screen or anything. I opened the case and repeated this while I watched the mobo. When I pressed the power button on the pc, a small hint of smoke came from the 24pin slot on my mobo so i pulled the plug. I havn't tried booting again, but the mobo light still comes on when the ps is plugged on. Is my mobo dead? I really hope not seeing as i just replaced my ps. Could I have gotten a faulty ps which fried my mobo? Please help. System Specs:
Core 2 duo@2.4ghz
4GB RAM
500GB HDD RAID 0
OCZ 500W PS
DVD R/W Drive

More about : dead

a b V Motherboard
February 9, 2010 12:14:13 AM

Does it still boot with the 8400gs installed?
m
l
February 9, 2010 10:53:20 AM

While the OCZ is powering the system you mean? I havn't tried putting the 8400 in, as I am scared from the smoke that I saw. Should I try to?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 9, 2010 10:55:06 AM

Yes, with the OCZ. We can't help diagnose anything without knowing if it still powers on or not.
m
l
February 10, 2010 1:02:43 AM

aford10 said:
Yes, with the OCZ. We can't help diagnose anything without knowing if it still powers on or not.

Ok I will do that tomorrow and let you know.
m
l
February 10, 2010 1:29:15 AM

make sure the 24-pin connector is completely plugged in, with the clip grabbing onto the nub on the mobo helf of the connector
m
l
!