Sign in with
Your question

First HTPC build question

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 19, 2009 2:18:09 AM

Getting ready to start my first HTPC and I am confused on one issue. Since a graphics card like the Radeon 4870 has HDMI output which can also transmit audio in 7.1 surround to say an Onkyo receiver, can I just use this output for playing music on my HTPC as well? Or does this only transmit sound when watching video? Would I still need a separate audio card running to the Onkyo for just music playback?

More about : htpc build question

August 19, 2009 2:25:07 AM

For an HTPC you dont want a discrete GPU, the 790gx boards from AMD support HDMI and are plenty powerful for a HTPC. The audio should travel via HDMI as long as it is connected.
m
l
August 19, 2009 2:36:58 AM

hunter315 said:
For an HTPC you dont want a discrete GPU, the 790gx boards from AMD support HDMI and are plenty powerful for a HTPC. The audio should travel via HDMI as long as it is connected.

Yes, but I also potentially want to play games on the system. Plus, it sounds like the Radeon 4870 can upconvert the video from standard to HD, which would be good since most of my movies are just standard resolution.
m
l
Related resources
August 19, 2009 8:36:54 AM

Yeah the 4870 should be good for your uses. It should be able to game too, just make sure you have a good CPU.
m
l
August 19, 2009 3:01:57 PM

Just note that the low-end Onkyo receivers have HDMI Pass-Through only. They won't pick up the audio from an HDMI connection (just pass it through to the TV).

-Wolf sends
m
l
!