voodoohao

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Hi, I'm thinking of building a new pc sometime around next month, would like to see some opinions regarding my build. Will be using this rig mostly for gaming and maybe some apps such as Photoshop.

The parts:

CPU: i7 920
MOBO: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
MEMORY: 6GB OCZ Platinum 1333 CL7 OR
6 GB Team Elite DDR3 1333 CL9
HDD: Hitachi 1TB
GPU: MSI GTX 275 OC 896MB Twin Frozr
DVD Writer: LG 22x Lightscribe
ATX Casing: NZXT Tempest
Speakers: Logitech X-540 5.1
Power Supply: Antec TruePower 750w
LCD Monitor: Benq G2400WD
Keyboard:
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 1800 DPI

I'm not sure what keyboard should I get, anyone can recommend a cheap illuminated keyboard? Not too sure about the monitor as well. For ram I'm leaning more towards Team Elite memory, but can't find any links on newegg.
Budget for this rig would be roughly within the price ranges of the parts I chose, anything more and it would be a tight stretch for my wallet :(

^ If the rig is mostly for gaming, then the i7 is not a very good choice...
Better of buying the AMD Phenom II or as you will be buying by next month, the i5s are also very good options...
So by going with the above options, you can invest more on the graphics front, where it matters most for gaming...

But if you dont plan to save money and do want to get an i7 anyhow, then its upto you...(But certainly you wont be dissapointed by its performance though :p)

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

I agree, Phenom is a better choice for the budget conscious and a great processor. I have an AMD Phenom 9950 Black edition which has served me admirably for some time now and was very inexpensive. I think for gaming purposes at this time though, having a faster dual core (or just faster cores) is better than slower quads. Any games that do make use of multiple cores only use one extra core (of games that I know of) and having a great GPU to go with it is necessary.

voodoohao

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
okay thanks for the replies :D I think I might be waiting for the new i5s to come out and see if there are any price changes to the i7s, anyone knows when the new i5s will be out? Also heard that new DX 11 cards are coming out soon...