andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Is 40 the maximum "FPS" people can see? Why do people get gfx that are better than 9600GT while 1680x1050 is the max res most peoples play at?

Which is the best GFX that don't overkill a 1680x1050 22" monitor?(HD4890/GTX275 overkill?)

Thanks.

It my understanding some people can see up to 60-70 FPS.

A 9600 GT cant get 50+ FPS 1680x1050 at very high texture settings in alot of games. My 9800 GTX+ cant even do that, especially in high trafic areas with lots of other players to draw. Max FPS is not the big issue, its minimum FPS that the more powerful cards can boost so you rarely get choppiness.

Many people are now playing on 1920x1200 on 24 to 30inch LCDs and need alot more graphcis power to keep the FPS up.

The choice of GTX 260, HD 4870, GTX 275 or HD 4890 depends alot on which games you play. Certain games react much better to one brand of card than the other.

Andy, Ive seen you around enuff to ask you, are you just asking all these questions because you dont know, or , whats your real question/s?
no 180-pilots
19x12 and 25x16 are both larger
Depends on game, you can never have over kill, more eye candy not overkill

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Hi

Since the price in NZ is ridiculous, I get PC parts from foreign countries every time I upgrade. It is really troublesome by doing this and therefore my upgrade period is every 5 years. Hence, I have to make sure what I get is what I want by asking questions. If the price in NZ was the same as that of in U.S., I would just get an i7-920/i7-860 without even a 2nd thought.

The price in NZ make me really pissed off as I know how much they are sold in other counries. Try to imagine what would you feel if the price in the U.S. rises about 25% the 2nd morning you wake up?

Regards

Yea, you and the aussies get it hard sometimes, no , make that almost all the time.
To be honest with you, I wouldnt sit on a 9600, as itll be maybe below the low end after the new cards comes out.
It may play todays games ok, not great at 16x10, but if youre a slow upgrader, itd be best to wait it out, and what passes for the same amount of money for a 9600 now, will most likely be a better card possibly 2 to 3 upgrades higher.
So wait, as ATI is alomost about to release their cards, and thatll completely change pricing on all the old cards.
At 16x10, I wouldnt go with anything less than a 4870 and a 250 bottom line

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

Maybe because some people wanted better image quality with maximum/high graphic settings and highest AA. When you maximize the graphics settings to the best quality, this would impact the FPS, thus decreasing FPS a lot. It depends on what settings you wanted to use in games. Heavy Games like Crysis is very slow especially when you turn on AA high with high graphic settings so some people are interested to buy a very powerful graphic card which is capable of breaking 50 fps/ 60 fps for Crysis with maximum/high graphic settings and high AA settings. For the moment, current graphic cards are not capable of going above 60 fps for Crysis with maximum/high graphic settings and high AA settings.

Anyway, 60 FPS should already be maximum that we can go because LCD monitors only support up to 60 fps and not more than that (60hz for refresh frame), regardless to human eyes' capability. So no matter how powerful your card is, you cannot go above 60 fps with LCD monitors. Despite that there is a 120hz option but you still cannot achieve 120 fps so it is basically the same as 60 fps.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
RTS plays ok @ 30 fps and mostly slow moving games.
Racers+ shooters @ 60+

I think for gaming a safe frame rate is around 40 fps.

While for movies it would be around 26 frames I believe.

I personally always try to get 60:)

But this isn't facts its my opinion.

AA is anti aliasing, where edges are smoothed out in games.

michaelmk86

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
It all depends what people define as fine, some people are happy playing with low settings and 30fps but others not. I Personally freak when it dips below 60fps.

Eh, I can see in the mid 60's, but it varies by person.

That being said, as 99% of people here have LCD's at 60Hz, you can't see above 60FPS. So anyone on a standard LCD who claims "I get 120FPS and can see the differnce) is simply wrong due to the moniter only physically displaying 60FPS.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

AA means Anti Aliasing which will make the edge of 3D objects smoother instead of having jaggy edge so it would look more realistic. There are 2x AA, 4x AA, 6x AA, and so on. The higher the AA, the lesser the fps. So when you increase the AA high, the fps would decrease. Same thing with graphics settings such as shadows, textures, resolution, x4/x6/x16 AF or Anisotropic filtering. The higher these settings, the better the image quality which would make it more realistic and it would improve your gaming experience as well. This is why some people wanted a more powerful video card even if they game on a much lower resolution.

However, sometimes, increasing the AA could have the opposite side effect on FPS. In other words, sometimes, increasing AA could also increase the FPS like it sometimes happened with some ATI Radeon cards such as Radeon HD 4800 series. If you look at some benchmarks then you would see that the ones with AA turned On would allow some video cards to achieve higher FPS than when it is turn off. Turning on AA settings could also be a good idea and it depends on which game you play. Maybe because some video cards were designed to work better with AA turned on with certain games.