3300 IGP.. wanting to upgrade gfx card on a budget

xydin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Hello;

Right now I actually have been gaming without a graphics card.. and have decided to finally get one. At first I was going to get a 4870 or 4890.. but now I am going to be building another computer for my fiance and am looking for something cheaper.. around the $50 - $70 price range.

As far as I could find, the 4670 is what I should get.. so I was just wondering if it would make much more of a difference over my hd 3300 igp ( I know it probably will) and also if it would be able to run a few games.. just some MMORPG's and stuff at decently high settings (I have 4 GB RAM and a Phenom II x4 940).

Anyways.. would this card here be a good one to get?

Thanks!

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I gotta say gkay09 hit the nail on the head. I agree on both counts. If you go with the 9600gso, just be sure your power supply is beefy enough as it will draw more wattage than the 4670 if I'm not mistaken. However, if playing at low res, either card should do well for you.

xydin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I have a good PSU-- I was planning on fully decking out this computer, but had to wait on the graphics card..and started playing on IGP and noticed that most games I play (even WoW) run at max settings (Except on WoW I had to bring the shadows down a notch or two).. so I figured I didn't need one for a while, but now I am just looking to get a cheap, but better one. The highest resolution I will play at is probably 1680x 1050 for now.

Anyways, back on topic.. I was at first inclined to get that card, but then I read a little bit about it and heard stuff like Nvidia downgraded the card but kept the same name and whatnot. Specifically I heard the reduced the SP from 96 down to 48 and kept the same name, and that because of the change sometimes Newegg accidentally falsely advertises.

Have you heard anything about that?