Sign in with
Your question

Intel to pay AMD $1.25B!!!!!!!!!!!

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 12:49:58 PM

Wow!

First Japan, then Korea, then the European Union, and now the N.Y. Attorney General have all either accused and/or found Intel guilty of anti-competitive and/or monopolistic behavior; and now this!

Intel to pay AMD $1.25 Billion in legal settlment
and
Intel to pay AMD $1.25 billion in antitrust case

In light of the N.Y. Attorney General this seems to be a preemptive move on Intel's part to not receive another guilty verdict and avoid paying another hefty fine.

If Intel is willing to pay a preemptive $1.25B to AMD to drop the lawsuit, I bet my last dollar that the Intel accountants and lawyers have estimated any fines and/or monies that AMD would be awarded to be a much higher amount!

I'd love to hear what the forum and fanboys alike have to say. Give your $.02.

More about : intel pay amd 25b

November 12, 2009 12:58:41 PM

Hmmm, no other links? Sounds cheap to me, if all the accusations are true in the PDF alone.
November 12, 2009 1:00:57 PM

OK, sure, Intels innocent, and Im a Intel biggot heheh
Just saw the new links, as in other places as well
Now, can we all agree Intel harmed AMD?
Can we also say that harm affected AMD?
Can we also say that wed be better off if this never happened, and AMD would be more competitive?
Related resources
November 12, 2009 1:02:37 PM

And, most important of all, if true, all you who said jennyh was wrong, well youre screwed heheh
November 12, 2009 1:04:49 PM

I bet nVidia is smiling also
- Intel has agreed to an important set of ground rules to a free and open market in the microprocessor industry

- New patent cross-license agreement that gives AMD broad rights and the freedom to operate a business utilizing multiple foundries

- GLOBALFOUNDRIES has agreed to terms that allow them the freedom to operate as an independent world-class leading-edge foundry company, going forward, without being a subsidiary of AMD.

- Intel has agreed to pay AMD $1.25 billion within 30 days of this agreement.
November 12, 2009 1:06:23 PM

AMD shares just shot through the roof.
November 12, 2009 1:07:58 PM

Whats with all the silence?
Big bro lettin some people down?
getting new scripts? What?
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 1:09:07 PM

They got off lightly cash wise imo. It will be interesting to see the details of everything else however.

November 12, 2009 1:11:26 PM

Yep.
I think we should all say it, Intel is guilty.
They ruled the industry thru heavyhanded illegal activities, they had inferior products, and its time to roost for some
November 12, 2009 1:13:42 PM

Jenny does not have time to comment given that she is still dancing out the shock ;) 

1.25 billion seems like an aweful small amount given the state of things if it were just a cash deal.. I can't wait to have a close look at the new cross-license agreements.

Anyway, this is good news for the industry. I'm a bit shocked that intel effectively admitted their guilt without a judge forcing them though.. lol
November 12, 2009 1:15:54 PM

Got the first official script for Intel. They (AMD) werent seeking justice, theyre (AMD) are just money grubbers, and still not worthy
Just thought Id pre empt that one, Im sure therell be more
November 12, 2009 1:19:16 PM

Have to admit tho, fazers was right, or half right heheh
The AMD side of this issue is like a dead pony as of now.
But they still have to face the courts, cant stop the states or the FTC
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 1:20:55 PM

Looks as if buying those AMD Options will pay off, just as i suspected. if the stock hits $7.20 a share by January, i'll have had a nice holiday...

Does this still mean that the NY Attourney general (Cuomo) case is still proceeding, i see no mention of this in any news as of late...
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 1:25:21 PM

The stock could hit $7.20 by today :p 
November 12, 2009 1:25:22 PM

Yes. They have their own merits, cant stop them
November 12, 2009 1:27:11 PM

This is nice considering Ive been accused by as few here as accused Intel already, while trying to point out how easy this is to interperet.
Once that Genie came out the bottle, Intel knew it was game over.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 1:28:18 PM

The option i bought was that if they hit7.20 by January, all is good, if they are higher at like say $8.20, my yeild %-age will be even greater.

Bought the option back in September, though i did not anticipate a settlement this soon, Hooray for me, Hooray for AMD!
November 12, 2009 1:28:26 PM

This, and seeing what AMD has coming is surely good news for all. Maybe from now on, we will have better growth perf wise, itd be great to see
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 1:29:51 PM

So AMD can now sell off the entire foundry business to globalfoundries. That includes 50% of the voting rights so the real question is, how much is it gonna take ATIC to grab full control at global?

More cash for AMD if they choose to take it.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 1:32:03 PM

More Cash to AMD now if they did that, but in the long term, this new cross-licensing deal may prove to be the better option, i forsee good things to come with GloFo
November 12, 2009 1:33:50 PM

True, but that leaves AMD in a precarious position by doing so, much like nVidia currently is in.
This decision has overall weakened the x86 license, which could be good, but also lessons its value, which AMD does own partial bits of it.
Im thinking itd be best for them to hang onto what they have IMHO
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 1:34:16 PM

Yes I agree, I'd much rather see AMD stay with globalfoundries instead of selling out.

Perhaps the money they have accepted here is so they can do just that while paying their share.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 1:35:53 PM

Globalfoundries are the big winners here, or well ATIC are or could be.

The x86 licence has been diminished yes, but it's still actually worth *more* now to AMD because ATIC know they can become a fully independent operation...if they cough up enough cash to AMD.
November 12, 2009 1:37:13 PM

Im sure theyve weighed their options, like having the notes due, which would have put them in a lessor position in borrowing again, until final litagation findings anyways
November 12, 2009 1:39:02 PM

And that puts AMD in a commanding position, one theyre not used to for awhile.
Who knows on this one, but I do think its better for them to continue the relationship as is
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 1:39:08 PM

that and maybe a little of it goes to R&D...

Now with this NY case, will this seek substantial compensation or will it be miniscule? I read JDJ's link the other day, but didnt have time to read all of it...

My guess here... Intel/AMD announce a settlement which causes AMD stock to fly and Intel stock to linger/halt (lets face it, Intel has the $$$ and they were probably prepared for a worse hit, so they should not see much financial trouble out of this)

Then! when Intel pays AMD and they actually get the $$$, this will ensure the paranoid population and AMD shares will once again fly (although not as much as today)

another factor could be the NY case filed by Cuomo, but how much of a factor will be the question...
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 1:40:33 PM

Well AMD had $1.5bn cash and $3.5bn debt so they are almost even now.

I'm assuming ATIC would want full control of globalfoundries but perhaps they want to keep AMD as a partner. After all, that way they are guaranteed AMD's business.

Oh lol, I guess my prediction of AMD breaking even Q4 was a bit cautious now. :D 
November 12, 2009 1:42:16 PM

That is the question. How impacting it is is contingent on its affected size overall. Since NY represents only a portion of the entire peoples, tho may be more agressive than say the FTC, it wont be that large, but the FTC case could be a knee breaker
November 12, 2009 1:49:43 PM

Maybe we should refer to this as the MJ payoff heheh
November 12, 2009 1:55:28 PM

Meyer, whose firm recently came out with the most advanced GPUs currently available on the market, said it wasn't necessarily the technology behind the products that really mattered, rather it was the "user experience."
The CEO proudly declared his team had pulled together and was "working as a single company towards the promise of fusion," hitting or exceeding all the targets the firm set for itself along the way. "I feel very good about the execution," he said.

"Increasingly it's the graphics processors and the tight incorporation of the GPU and the CPU that will really make a difference moving forward," Meyer continued, adding that although he felt good progress had been made in 2009, there was still much work to be done in order to produce truly "compelling offerings."

Later, speaking exclusively to HEXUS, Meyer spoke of his excitement for 2010 and 2011, which he agreed was a "magic year" for the firm. "That's where it really all kicks off," he told us, adding "we've got good stuff."

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=21138
November 12, 2009 2:04:46 PM

I acknowledge Intels shameless actions against AMD, thats bad, but whats worse is what we were left with as consumers.
All those who did buy AMD products have been let down, by illegal activities, and an overall lessoned cpu market. Thats what bugs me the most.
Now, as has been said, the market will be free to move, and maybe we will see some great things ahead
November 12, 2009 2:08:44 PM

i have a feeling all of those money will go to corporate bonuses and perks.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 2:09:14 PM

do not get me wrong, i am no AMD fanboy by any means, i do like Intel's Core 2 architecture and some chipsets they came out with (hence my sig) But i do like AMD as a whole a little better. As of late, they are quickly getting their act together in both departments as well as making me $$$.

That said... I can see it now. All Intel Fanboys are neked in the shower, fetus-position, crying... EINHORN's a MAN?!?!
November 12, 2009 2:11:17 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
And, most important of all, if true, all you who said jennyh was wrong, well youre screwed heheh

A broken watch is right twice a day JDJ. :D 
Paying out even a ceremonial amount does imply guilt though. I think they wanted a settlement reached before any FTC findings so AMD couldn't come back later and soak them. Doesn't change my thoughts on the whole NY action in the least but I am glad AMD got some money out of the deal. If anyone should see monetary rewards, it shouldn't be a government meddling in the private sector but actual afflicted parties (once proven though paying before proven simply sends up a flag eh).
November 12, 2009 2:12:08 PM

I will say this, having to face alot of lawyer costs, appeals etc, even so, this speaks mountains of confidence AMD has currently and going forwards.
Makes for a better tomorrow in this industry
November 12, 2009 2:12:37 PM

I think from an Intel perspective that deal would have been cheap at twice the price.

A bit of a bad move from AMD IMO. I'm sure they have their reasons...
November 12, 2009 2:14:59 PM

roofus said:
A broken watch is right twice a day JDJ. :D 
Paying out even a ceremonial amount does imply guilt though. I think they wanted a settlement reached before any FTC findings so AMD couldn't come back later and soak them. Doesn't change my thoughts on the whole NY action in the least but I am glad AMD got some money out of the deal. If anyone should see monetary rewards, it shouldn't be a government meddling in the private sector but actual afflicted parties (once proven though paying before proven simply sends up a flag eh).

And Michael Jackson was innocent also, and his decision to settle out of court never tainted his image either?
Anyone can settle out of court this way ya know, I guess Intel just didnt have the monies to continue?
This, if anything, only brings a harsher finding by the FTC.
November 12, 2009 2:16:30 PM

Im not sure if this will be considered, tho Im sure it will in some ways
November 12, 2009 2:20:10 PM

As for the private vs the public sector, it depends. The honus on that is completely up to the FTC, the NY AG and the judges involved.
It has to be proved as well as Intels guilt.
It just isnt a "right" of the government to do so, no matter what the comments of the EU weve read, Im sure theyre setup the same.
Thats why theres 3 branches in the US, to prevent a government attack in matters like these, it still has to go thru the courts
November 12, 2009 2:37:07 PM

Yea, eveyone is by now, at the time, there were only 3 links. Things like this move fast.
So, Intels guilty, markets are free, AMD has a nice roadmap ahead, so does Intel, and maybe thingsll move forwards at a better pace
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 2:38:30 PM

What about Nvidia though? Oh wait who cares lol.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 2:42:27 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Yea, eveyone is by now, at the time, there were only 3 links. Things like this move fast.
So, Intels guilty, markets are free, AMD has a nice roadmap ahead, so does Intel, and maybe thingsll move forwards at a better pace

...and the sky turns blue, and the birds sing, and your woman comes back, and the dog comes back, and your pickup truck starts running again. (just like playing a country~western record backwards...) <laugh>

Methinks thou dost underestimate the depths of corporate (and government, for that matter) depravity. ;) 

My vote? They're all a bunch of thieves, and this is just one battle. It'll be something else later, for sure.
November 12, 2009 2:44:10 PM

Well, like i said earlier, this actually has lessoned the x86 license in many ways, and could make it more attainable in different ways as well as the conventional way as well.
We have to see how it all turns out
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 2:44:39 PM

jennyh said:
The stock could hit $7.20 by today :p 

I wish that would happen, but highly unlikely. the general public (and investors) are panicy, paranoid & evil when it comes to their $$$. Of course at first, they all flock to it, but it'll slow down towards the end of the day. As to why, i'm not sure. This, coupled with AMD's future roadmap should all but guarantee success with AMD, but again, people are people... the person (sungular) is smart, but people (plural) are chaotic.

Even after AMD's quarterly results were better than expected, their stock plummited. People thought that it was the highest AMD would be for a while and they all sold. Me? I stayed. Still have the same option i bought @ $5.27 a share and i plan to stick with it...
November 12, 2009 2:45:14 PM

Kind of opens the gates for Nvidia. They should send flowers to AMD.
November 12, 2009 2:47:31 PM

Amiga500 said:
I think from an Intel perspective that deal would have been cheap at twice the price.

A bit of a bad move from AMD IMO. I'm sure they have their reasons...

I think the amount was a moot point to AMD. This was an apology wrapped in cash to them lol
November 12, 2009 2:47:56 PM

Ive owned my own business, knew alot of fellow business owners.
Look at it this way, just as you want the most out of your investments, so do the business owners.
Problem is, this scenario is multiplied when its a corp, and shareholders have controlling interests, it doesnt always make for best decision making, and sometimes its the customer who suffers, which is why we also have to have government involvement at times as well
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2009 2:47:57 PM

Quote:
Kind of opens the gates for Nvidia. They should send flowers to AMD.

I dont think so, if Nvidia had suddenly found free access to x86 their stock would have shot through the roof as well.
November 12, 2009 2:51:28 PM

Time will tell. I don't think the settlement pays any benefits of IP to anyone beyond AMD but a third party could cry foul for their duopoly of an entire industry. If you think its unfair for one company to have control you certainly cant be comfortable with a mere 2 can you?
    • 1 / 8
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!