Intel to pay AMD $1.25B!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow!

First Japan, then Korea, then the European Union, and now the N.Y. Attorney General have all either accused and/or found Intel guilty of anti-competitive and/or monopolistic behavior; and now this!

Intel to pay AMD $1.25 Billion in legal settlment
and
Intel to pay AMD $1.25 billion in antitrust case

In light of the N.Y. Attorney General this seems to be a preemptive move on Intel's part to not receive another guilty verdict and avoid paying another hefty fine.

If Intel is willing to pay a preemptive $1.25B to AMD to drop the lawsuit, I bet my last dollar that the Intel accountants and lawyers have estimated any fines and/or monies that AMD would be awarded to be a much higher amount!

I'd love to hear what the forum and fanboys alike have to say. Give your $.02.

OK, sure, Intels innocent, and Im a Intel biggot heheh
Just saw the new links, as in other places as well
Now, can we all agree Intel harmed AMD?
Can we also say that harm affected AMD?
Can we also say that wed be better off if this never happened, and AMD would be more competitive?

I bet nVidia is smiling also
- Intel has agreed to an important set of ground rules to a free and open market in the microprocessor industry

- New patent cross-license agreement that gives AMD broad rights and the freedom to operate a business utilizing multiple foundries

- GLOBALFOUNDRIES has agreed to terms that allow them the freedom to operate as an independent world-class leading-edge foundry company, going forward, without being a subsidiary of AMD.

- Intel has agreed to pay AMD $1.25 billion within 30 days of this agreement.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Jenny does not have time to comment given that she is still dancing out the shock ;)

1.25 billion seems like an aweful small amount given the state of things if it were just a cash deal.. I can't wait to have a close look at the new cross-license agreements.

Anyway, this is good news for the industry. I'm a bit shocked that intel effectively admitted their guilt without a judge forcing them though.. lol

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Looks as if buying those AMD Options will pay off, just as i suspected. if the stock hits $7.20 a share by January, i'll have had a nice holiday...

Does this still mean that the NY Attourney general (Cuomo) case is still proceeding, i see no mention of this in any news as of late...

This is nice considering Ive been accused by as few here as accused Intel already, while trying to point out how easy this is to interperet.
Once that Genie came out the bottle, Intel knew it was game over.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The option i bought was that if they hit7.20 by January, all is good, if they are higher at like say $8.20, my yeild %-age will be even greater.

Bought the option back in September, though i did not anticipate a settlement this soon, Hooray for me, Hooray for AMD!

jennyh

Splendid
So AMD can now sell off the entire foundry business to globalfoundries. That includes 50% of the voting rights so the real question is, how much is it gonna take ATIC to grab full control at global?

More cash for AMD if they choose to take it.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
More Cash to AMD now if they did that, but in the long term, this new cross-licensing deal may prove to be the better option, i forsee good things to come with GloFo

True, but that leaves AMD in a precarious position by doing so, much like nVidia currently is in.
This decision has overall weakened the x86 license, which could be good, but also lessons its value, which AMD does own partial bits of it.
Im thinking itd be best for them to hang onto what they have IMHO

jennyh

Splendid
Yes I agree, I'd much rather see AMD stay with globalfoundries instead of selling out.

Perhaps the money they have accepted here is so they can do just that while paying their share.

jennyh

Splendid
Globalfoundries are the big winners here, or well ATIC are or could be.

The x86 licence has been diminished yes, but it's still actually worth *more* now to AMD because ATIC know they can become a fully independent operation...if they cough up enough cash to AMD.