Should I buy motheraboard with USB 3.0 Now ???

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I want to buy a new computer for my friend... and I'm considering to buy i7 and also in buying a motherboard with usb 3.0 support... I know that till now, there is almost no device(till now) that use usb 3.0 port ... So, do you recommend me to buy 3.0 or 2.0 ... ?? is there is a device or a chip that i can plug it in the motherboard and give me the 3.0 support ??

Thanks alot.........

Definitely get one with USB 3.0. If you're keeping that machine for any length of time, I can see you being VERY glad later if you spend a little more now. I don't even think it costs very much extra to get a board with USB 3.0 in the first place, which makes it a no-brainer.

Possibly. Regular PCI slots don't have a fast enough data transfer rate to support it. USB 3.0 could even technically saturate a PCIe x1 slot. So I'm betting most of the true USB 3.0 cards are going to be PCIe x4, and how many new motherboards have that? Which means you'll most likely have to sacrifice a PCIe x16 slot to get a couple of USB 3.0 ports -- and no one wants to do that -- or try to find a PCIe x1 version and possibly settle for somewhat capped performance.

On top of which, the cards themselves are going to cost money, and it's, like ... $20 or $30 right now to get built-in USB 3.0 if I recall correctly. So I'd just get it now if I had the choice.