1-1500$ish USD, Standard use Computer build

roundar

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I've considered buying a computer from somewhere like dell or something, built and ready to go, but I've been advised otherwise. I'm not that familiar w/ building a computer but am comfortable doing so. I don't do much gaming although I would like to be able to without pushing up the price redic.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as I get a clear picture of everything I'll need, (within the next week or so. Today if it happens that fast however.)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: As I've stated, I would like to be able to watch movies and things as well.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Not much comes to mind, I have a Keyboard, mouse and monitor that I can use, and get new ones later (like wireless mouse/keyboard...) so those aren't necessary right now. The monitor I have is small and I will be getting a new one, so suggestions are welcome and I really like the Idea of duel monitors :)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Anywhere that ships US that you guys trust.

OVERCLOCKING: SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not really familiar with either :S

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Again, not a lot comes to mind. I would like a TV Tuner. And anything that seems like I might be interested in, but not aware of(since I'm not familiar w/ a lot of this) I do hope you'll suggest it.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to take a look.

roundar

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Because this does fall so far below my expected spending limit, what would you suggest I get if I would like to increase my ram and get a better processor?

EDIT: Should I get a intel quad core i7 cpu ?

jonsy2k

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Well honestly, the things that you are looking to do with this computer aren't exactly the most demanding things in the world, so I don't really think your movie watching or internet surfing would benefit much from the extra core/Hyperthreading. Plus from the sound of it, unless you get into some pretty demanding games at a fairly high resolution, a decently priced 4850 or 4770 would be more than your needs.

Why spend the extra money, when you most likely wont need it.

Plus with the extra money, you could probably get yourself a very nice monitor for your movie watching please, and a nice set of wireless keyboard+mouse.

Unless you want to do heavy photoshop work or overclock to do high end gaming at 1920x1200 you dont need an i7, if you add a 4870 to the build you can do your gaming at pretty good settings and frame rates at 1920x1200.

If you speed $600 on a computer every 2 years you will spend 1800 over 6 years and when you buy that third computer it will perform a lot better than if you had spend 1800 on a computer to start with. There is no need to spend all of your budget when less than half of it will get you one that does what you need, i agree with spending it on a nice large monitor and a nice sound system, those will be more helpful than adding an extra $500 worth of components to the build and you can keep them for a long time.