Sign in with
Your question

Computer restarts by itself!! HELP!!

Last response: in Motherboards
February 9, 2010 8:30:29 AM

Hello Guys!!
Im having a really wierd and awfully annoying problem with my system!! The situation is that i just got my computer upgraded!! a new motherboard (P5KPL-AM-SE) , 1GB DDR2 Ram , processor (P4 HT 3.0 GHZ) ..... the sound and video card are both onboard!! and the hard disks (both SATA) and the power supply are both old!! i just got this a week before and since then the problem is that my computer restarts or hangs just for no apparent reason but the wierd part is that it just does it once when I start the computer, and after its done hanging or restarting, it then runs normally for the rest of the time!! but this process is repeated when the computer is again turned on!!!! i mean it just does this once after i turn on the system everytime!! which is a really wierd problem!! and i just dont know what to blame!! What i suspect the most is that it is a motherboard driver issue!! but im not sure... or it cud be bad ram (but im again not sure) ..... and the last thing that i think cud be the possible suspect is the power supply !! But i cant seem to understand the fact that the problem happens only once a session!! i mean if it were a pSU probleem then isnt it supposed to happen frequently??
NOTE: I thought that it was a windows problem!! but i did a fresh install on it and the same problem is there!! and if u think its bad ram or something like that!! Then plz tell me how to check it!!
GUYs this is by far the most difficult problem im facing!! Im having such a difficult time with this problem and i havent had any luck on google!! !!! SO PLZ HELP.... THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

More about : computer restarts

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 144 ) Power supply
a c 156 V Motherboard
February 9, 2010 10:55:42 AM

Most likely, it is the power supply. Try a known good one to see what happens.

Specs on the PSU?
m
l
February 9, 2010 3:32:12 PM

jsc said:
Most likely, it is the power supply. Try a known good one to see what happens.

Specs on the PSU?

Yeah i thought of that , but if its a PSU problem . isnt it supposed to restart or hang more often rather than once!! Thats the thing im not understanding!! :sweat: 
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2010 3:43:25 PM

who upgraded the system...

If someone else upgraded it then its their problem, not yours to sort..

I really would change the power supply first.
m
l
February 9, 2010 3:46:43 PM

The problem is that i think the guys wont understand the problem fully... i mean its an awkward and tricky problem!! And plus i got a college assignment and dont have that much time !! so if anyone has any clue!! plz point me out so that i can replace that exact suspect!!
m
l
February 9, 2010 3:57:25 PM

hameem,

we havent got the machine infront of us..

it could be.. power supply not up to the job, a faulty motherboard or a faulty ram.

a power supply charges its capacitors to a peak wattage which is not sustainable.

hence when power supply says 400w peak really its more like 350 w in ever day usage

a decent 500w is 500w period with a strong rail voltage which has a low fluctation rate.

we cant give you and exact answer as i dont have the machine on the bench but it you have a new board, old processor and new ram - who knows..

also it depends on how the person put the processor in. the p4 3ghz needs good heatskink compound as it is known to over heat if not correctly installed by an engineer with correct information.
m
l
February 9, 2010 4:05:04 PM

Umm OK thanks!! i'll change the poewr supply!! but can it be BAD RAM?? i dont know but im just askin!! and any way to test it? Otherwise i'll just take it to the Shop!! :( 
m
l
February 9, 2010 4:07:55 PM

if you take it to the shop he can change components and test to see what the problem is by elimination.

really its his problem , not yours - he should of checked it properly in the first place..

tell him exactly what you told us and let him fix it.
m
l
February 9, 2010 4:16:24 PM

Yeah thanks man!! but what i think is that he will just try something and if it works for a while !! he will say hes done but it just restarts randomly!! at any time!! sometime 10 mins sometimes 30!! Well anyways thanks for the help! :) 
m
l
February 9, 2010 4:33:40 PM

thats why i think its the powersupply ask him to change it and run it up...

what speed is the ram is it ddr2 800 make sure it is...
m
l
February 9, 2010 4:35:04 PM

OK now i forgot !! how do u check that what ram is it!! i mean the speed!!
m
l
February 9, 2010 4:40:15 PM

ok try these two

on google search cpu-z
then google burn it test pro

download the trial version of burn it test pro

run it and see what happends. if it comes up with memory errors then theres ya problem

make sure u turn off sound, optical, floppy drive and network on the test run options.
m
l
February 9, 2010 4:58:55 PM

OK man ... it did some 15 billion operations on the RAM and found 0 errors ... i guess thats good and it was like 16 cycles!! and the RAM frequency is 800mhz!!! is this thing gonna work for all the other components too??
m
l
February 9, 2010 5:07:31 PM

not all but atleast u know the rams good.
m
l
February 9, 2010 5:12:40 PM

Thanks man u Just Saved me a lot of Doubt!! ur Great!!!
m
l
February 9, 2010 7:58:09 PM

hameem said:
Thanks man u Just Saved me a lot of Doubt!! ur Great!!!

i personally still feel its the power supply

couple of things to try

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe - download this - save it as something else like bumbofix.exe or something other than combo and run it - this will kill rootkit and viruses

next

google mbam-setup.exe - run it and update it -- scan for virus and see what happends.
m
l
February 16, 2010 4:17:31 AM

Hellboy said:
i personally still feel its the power supply

couple of things to try

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe - download this - save it as something else like bumbofix.exe or something other than combo and run it - this will kill rootkit and viruses

next

google mbam-setup.exe - run it and update it -- scan for virus and see what happends.

OK man it was the ram ... ur software didnt do quite a good job but still thanks!! i got a ddr2 ram (new) and that worked well!!
m
l
!