Processor compatabilty

I am having a hard time figure out what processors are compatible with my system. I have been trying to look up the compatibility through my mother board but have been having a really hard time with it. I currently have an AMD Phoenom 9550 and would like to upgrade to something better, although I think I'm going to be pretty limited due to my computers DDR 2 RAM. What are my options for a better processor/how do I go about finding out? I have tried googling Pegatron and Pegatron Violet 3.02 but I haven't gotten any luck

System specs:
2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core
512 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
2048 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Board: PEGATRON CORPORATION VIOLET 3.02
Serial Number: MS1C94R42401143
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 5.08 02/03/2009

and I have 8GB of DDR2 RAM
12 answers Last reply
More about processor compatabilty
  1. Wow....never heard of Pegatron before but after googling it, it appears its an offshoot of Asus. Chances are your probably not going to find a cpu support list for it but it might be able to run a Phenom II X4 940 since its socket AM2+ (same as your 9550). But it might require a bios update, which I doubt you'd be able to track down with such a generic board.
  2. Yeah after some googleing Pegatron seems to be a branch of Asus dedicated to motherboards... and I've been having a very hard time figuring out what I could possibly upgrade to. If it helps the computer is an HP that I bought a new case a 260GTX and a new power supply. But as far as a possible upgrade list I can't find anything anywhere
  3. I have the same board in my hp P6130y computer, I have the processor amd phenom x4 9750. I was trying to upgrade to the phenom II 945, it is the same wattage and socket as the 9750.
  4. so you think it will work??
  5. It seems like AMD puts out a new processor or new revision almost everyday. Chances are that you won't be able to upgrade that Processor unless there's a new BIOS update to support the newer processors. Phenom 9950 is probably your best bet of compatibility, but that's only a 400Mhz gain, which is totally not worth it.

That's what you get when you buy retail PCs.

If you've already bought a new case, psu, and graphics card.......then just get a new motherboard/ram/cpu to complete your new computer. You can probably get all three for under $250 if you go AM3. If you go AM2+, then you can reuse your ram and save like $80.
  6. nothing higher than 9750 is supported. no 9950.
  7. BadTrip said:
    nothing higher than 9750 is supported. no 9950.

Oh yea, missed that part. No 140W CPUs.
    Never buy a 140W CPU from AMD. Only a handful of motherboards support them.
  8. I wouldnt go as far as to say never buy a 140w cpu from AMD, quite a few motherboards, even in the lower end, support 140w cpus (such as the MA770T-UD3P).
  9. I got the same mother board. I have a AMD Athlon II x4 620, and it is not on the list either. I bought my PC with that processor in it, so I don't think the list on the HP website is exclusive.
  10. Is that link my motherboard??

@masterasia yeah well I was given the computer as a gift so no choice but hey it was free

@Wheelbarrow you got a AMD II 620 in it? I wouldn't think the II series would work but I suppose that Athlon II x4 620 is special being there surprisingly cheap chips
  11. Here Ya go --
    Pegatron M2N78-LA Violet-GL8E Motherboard specifications table

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01635734&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4006104

good luck
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Compatibility