Sign in with
Your question

What processor please

Last response: in CPUs
November 12, 2009 4:55:32 PM

i have a desk top and i am very happy with it it has a MSI ms7025 motherboard at the moment it has a AMD 2 gigherts atholon 64 dual non hyprythreding , wht processor can i put in this motherboard to speed things up a bit i have an nvida fx3000 graphics card and 4 gig of the ram and running windows 7,the other problem i have i cannot fond drivers for the card anywhere that will run on windows 7 so if you can help with that also that would be great, thanking you in advance PD
professional that i am very happy with

More about : processor

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2009 6:59:16 PM

There are a lot people asking for Windows 7 drivers for hardware - and a lot of older hardware probably wont have new drivers. Thats the bad news over with

Windows 7 works perfectly well using Vista drivers.
November 12, 2009 8:06:51 PM

Ulysses is right; Windows 7 and Vista drivers are seemingly* interchangable in many cases.

As far as new processor: your hitting the upper limit of that platform and your not going to see much of a performance boost unless you can get a dual core proc for it, but thats unlikely. better save your money and buy/build a new machine.
Related resources
November 12, 2009 8:33:15 PM

JonAllen said:
Ulysses is right; Windows 7 and Vista drivers are seemingly* interchangable in many cases.

As far as new processor: your hitting the upper limit of that platform and your not going to see much of a performance boost unless you can get a dual core proc for it, but thats unlikely. better save your money and buy/build a new machine.

Jon the atholon i have is a dual core amd atholon 64 x dual sorry i forgot to put that on there before so would it then be possable to unstall a more powerful one i am bnot looking for startreck speeds but design a lot and some of the packages need a bit more kick and this computer is a real bueaty
got a case made out of jet fighter wings i have never seen another like it.

peter
November 12, 2009 9:01:26 PM

Do you know what socket the cpu is?
I'm going to guess it's a 939, but it may be AM2.
If you are on a socket 939, then your upgrade options are going to be very limited, but you may find something on e-bay.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2009 12:56:25 AM

a quick google shows you are on a socket 939 mobo.

im afriad it doesn't look good....

really, you need to reaplce the mobo too if you want a decent performance upgrade. get an am2+ board and a phenom II or athlon II (depending on requirements) and you can have yourself a decent rig, at slighlty more than the cost of just a processor upgrade, but deffinetly less that buying a whole new pc.
!