Is anyone as excited as me!

G

Hello All,

Was just wondering if anyone else has been feeling the same level of anticipation and excitement about the impending release of ATI's DX 11 cards (58xx series)

It seems to have been a long period in between card generations for me this generation around, and I am dying to see if the rumours are true about the new HD 58xx cards....far more exciting than the i5 release!

Also has anyone specifically put off purchasing a GPU upgrade for these cards to be released? (I waited for HD 4870 to be released and bought it at around £170 ($285) and expect I will replace it now if the asking price is the same in say a months time and flog my hd4870 for around £80 on ebay ($132)

Man it feels like tomorrow is Christmas to me :)

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
hehe

yeah, been hanging onto my old 8800GT for ages to get one of this Gens top cards

Really glad it will be ATi as would rather thow them my money when they have something good out :)

I feel a big gaming session coming up ^^

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I'm excited. I can't wait to see the benchmarks! I am waiting till Decemberish to get a 5870x2 (maybe 2) to replace my 4870x2+4870 trifire. Supposedly with DX11 you can get CGI like graphics live in games. This will be very interesting...

I hope we get some good info tomorrow, though I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. First they have to come out with a new game that actually needs them that I actually feel like playing. Then I'll upgrade.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I cant wait to see the prices on the 58XX, either they'll be really good for your money or just really bad. I remember some kind of page on wikipedia that had the whole series of ATI cards and their prices, the lower end 58XX's (cant find it =/). Anyway, the 5870x2 will be like 500$, and i think the cheapest was like 200$, wish i had that link to that page right now...

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
hey newbie, here is the link i think you're referring to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_graphics_processing_units#Radeon_R800_.28HD_5xxx.29_series]

G

Hoo Boy, Thursday today and still nothing :(

EXT64: You are quite right about a game coming out that uses the cards potential before upgrading, valid point, but if its good I just dont think I will be able to help myself ;)

Yeah amnotanoobie I wonder if it will have a real major effect on 2xx 9xx 48xx series cards as they are already in the retail channel and i cant see the prices for especially the likes of 48xx series getting any cheaper, (they will be giving them away) But the gtx275/285/295 series are sure to come down in price if the 5870/5850 is significantly faster than them!

G

Just Thought, this could be the start of a mid life upgrade on my machine :)

New c2q 9550 if my 7200 @3.8ghz becomes a bottleneck

I can see me making excuses already to upgrade :)

Yeah, normally I would find some excuse to upgrade, but since I'm now well into my college semester I wouldn't have the time to mess with it. I'll still be watching with interest though.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20090909155539_First_Alleged_Photos_of_ATI_Radeon_HD_5870_Emerge_on_the_Web.html

XBAWKS HUEG

Also, I think I found their design influence.

2d9bj1g.jpg

535opj.jpg

Andraxxus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah that too :lol:
@turboflame: Absolutely perhapse they wanted to make it more obvious given the link mousemonkey posted :D
@ mousemonkey: Nvidia :non: