SSD and HDD

drouze041

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I have one Spinpoint 1T hard drive http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MQC0P8, you think i should get another and run as a raid 0 or stay with one hard drive and team it up with a SSD? Say 60 or so gig. Appreciate the help

Solution
May get some diverse opinions as to which way to go because there is no right or wrong answer. It is a great question for how different folks set up their systems.

In general the newer HDD's will give average (Read/Write) speeds of 50-100 MB/sec, say an average of 75 MB/sec
Using RAID 0 gives you a speed of x times the # of drives - 2 drives give you 2 times the speed, say (150 MB/sec) but no fault tolerance (1/2 the reliabiity).
The RAID 0 drives can be problematic to set up, and if you lose one, you lose all the data stored on the RAID volume.

The SSD speeds depends on which one you have or plan to buy. Recently in Max PC Mag they tested the latest SATA 2 & SATA 3 SSD's
OZC SATA 3 Vertex 3 was 506 MB/s reads, Intel 510 SATA 2...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Tell the group about you computer, model #, make, internal components, and what you use it for, and someone can come up with accurate information for you.

Why do you want to use a dynamic disk, and which type of RAID were you considering for your computer?

drouze041

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Coolermaster 932 -tower
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 - mobo
i5 2500k - cpu
corsair HX 750W psu
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz - RAM
V8 cpu cooler
Sapphire 2g HD Radeon 6950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102914&cm_re=sapphire_6950_2gb-_-14-102-914-_-Product
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB - Hard drive
Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive - Rom Drive
Windows 7 Home Premum 64 Bit System Builder - OS
This will primarily be used for gaming. And i want to run it in Raid 0 cause i hear that is best to do.
But is reason i am asking should i forgo the 2nd hard drive and just team one of them hard drives up with an ssd

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
May get some diverse opinions as to which way to go because there is no right or wrong answer. It is a great question for how different folks set up their systems.

In general the newer HDD's will give average (Read/Write) speeds of 50-100 MB/sec, say an average of 75 MB/sec
Using RAID 0 gives you a speed of x times the # of drives - 2 drives give you 2 times the speed, say (150 MB/sec) but no fault tolerance (1/2 the reliabiity).
The RAID 0 drives can be problematic to set up, and if you lose one, you lose all the data stored on the RAID volume.

The SSD speeds depends on which one you have or plan to buy. Recently in Max PC Mag they tested the latest SATA 2 & SATA 3 SSD's
OZC SATA 3 Vertex 3 was 506 MB/s reads, Intel 510 SATA 2 was 480 MB/s reads, Plextor M2 was 387 MB/s reads.

If you want to be very scientific about it, you can measure HDD speeds like your Samsung F3 using small applets like HDTune, or DiskSpeed, and the SSD speeds by AS SSD or CrystalDiskMark. You may not want to get into it at that depth!

I would probably use a SATA 3 SSD for your primary drive and the Spinpoint F3 as a secondary drive, however the SSD's are more expensive.

Solution