Finally got university BUT!!!.....

It loads fine, it all looks great... I moved some sims from Pleasantview
into the uni bins, I redecorated a dorm for them and then moved them in
ready to play and nothing... it sits at 8.00am and nothing works, I've saved
then gone back to the neighbourhood screen and back in and my poor little
sims just stand there. It's not frozen as I can give them commands and I
still see the notes of music playing from the stereo... so it's not an
animation problem. Any ideas?

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269
11 answers Last reply
More about finally university

    Did you remove any hacks when you installed?

    This is always the first question.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > It loads fine, it all looks great... I moved some sims from Pleasantview
    > into the uni bins, I redecorated a dorm for them and then moved them in
    > ready to play and nothing... it sits at 8.00am and nothing works, I've
    saved
    > then gone back to the neighbourhood screen and back in and my poor little
    > sims just stand there. It's not frozen as I can give them commands and I
    > still see the notes of music playing from the stereo... so it's not an
    > animation problem. Any ideas?
    >
    > ~ jo
    >
    > http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269

    I don't actually play with any hacks knowingly... The only one I knew of
    was that damned mail box one which came with a downloaded lot.. I removed
    that. What about the paintings that give full needs? Are they hacks? Is
    there something that can scan over all my downloads that are already
    installed and tell me what's not suitable?

    > Did you remove any hacks when you installed?
    >
    > This is always the first question.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >

    > "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >> It loads fine, it all looks great... I moved some sims from Pleasantview
    >> into the uni bins, I redecorated a dorm for them and then moved them in
    >> ready to play and nothing... it sits at 8.00am and nothing works, I've
    > saved
    >> then gone back to the neighbourhood screen and back in and my poor little
    >> sims just stand there. It's not frozen as I can give them commands and I
    >> still see the notes of music playing from the stereo... so it's not an
    >> animation problem. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> ~ jo
    >>
    >> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269

    Well, yes - the painting is a hacked object though I've not heard anything
    about these particular objects causing problems. Clean Installer is the
    programme that can scan your Downloads folder looking for hacks (which, as
    you found, can sneak in with downloaded lots). You can get it via Mod the
    Sims 2. It might help. Career hacks, BTW, seemed to cause the most
    problems and unfortunately don't always show up with Clean Installer -
    apparently it's the skins that really bugger things up. Or you could just
    try removing your Downloads folder and seeing if the game will load. Have
    you tried running Bodyshop and/or Homecrafter?

    Unfortunately, I *think* (and I don't *know* this for sure) once you have
    got a corrupt installation (installing over hacks and then the game not
    working) there might not be anything you can do to correct it. AFAIK, most
    people who encountered this, simply reinstalled (you can back up your
    neighbourhoods first). There's quite a lot of information about problems
    installing on the BBS and on sites like Mod the Sims 2. When you eventually
    get Nightlife, remember to remove your Downloads folder BEFORE you install
    the expansion. Also, if you have a nude patch in your Config folder, you
    will need to take that out too.

    http://forums.modthesims2.com/index.php?

    jo wrote:
    > Yes I found a custom career, something that must have come with a house or
    > sim I downloaded... criminal...LOL.. And it was once that had been removed
    > that it worked. I couldn't bare to lose all my downloads - 14,000 + of them
    > (and probably another 10,000 I haven't installed yet)... And it looks like
    > I won't have to! I did notice last night however after I got it going and
    > was having a wonderful time redecorating everyone's dorm room to match their
    > personalities ;-Þ that some recolours I've downloaded, which worked prior to
    > the ep, looked fine in the box where you choose them (as in weren't blue or
    > transparent) but once I chose them and tried to place them they were all
    > blue? Any idea why?
    >
    > ~ jo

    I seem to vaguely remember that some of the first recolors that were
    done, are somehow not compatible with University. I've seen a lot of
    posts on MTS2 about re-downloading recolors since the expansion pack
    came out. But I think all the ones I've had trouble with were blue in
    the selection box.

    --
    Donna

    It's working!!! I moved the downloads back in and it works like a charm so
    ignore my last question :)

    > Well, yes - the painting is a hacked object though I've not heard anything
    > about these particular objects causing problems. Clean Installer is the
    > programme that can scan your Downloads folder looking for hacks (which, as
    > you found, can sneak in with downloaded lots). You can get it via Mod the
    > Sims 2. It might help. Career hacks, BTW, seemed to cause the most
    > problems and unfortunately don't always show up with Clean Installer -
    > apparently it's the skins that really bugger things up. Or you could just
    > try removing your Downloads folder and seeing if the game will load. Have
    > you tried running Bodyshop and/or Homecrafter?
    >
    > Unfortunately, I *think* (and I don't *know* this for sure) once you have
    > got a corrupt installation (installing over hacks and then the game not
    > working) there might not be anything you can do to correct it. AFAIK,
    > most
    > people who encountered this, simply reinstalled (you can back up your
    > neighbourhoods first). There's quite a lot of information about problems
    > installing on the BBS and on sites like Mod the Sims 2. When you
    > eventually
    > get Nightlife, remember to remove your Downloads folder BEFORE you install
    > the expansion. Also, if you have a nude patch in your Config folder, you
    > will need to take that out too.
    >
    > http://forums.modthesims2.com/index.php?
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >
    > "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >> I don't actually play with any hacks knowingly... The only one I knew of
    >> was that damned mail box one which came with a downloaded lot.. I removed
    >> that. What about the paintings that give full needs? Are they hacks?
    >> Is
    >> there something that can scan over all my downloads that are already
    >> installed and tell me what's not suitable?
    >>
    >> ~ jo
    >>
    >> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269
    >> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> > Did you remove any hacks when you installed?
    >> >
    >> > This is always the first question.
    >> >
    >> > Best wishes
    >> > Maxon
    >> >

    >> > "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Pleasantview
    >> > saved
    > little

    OK - the game will reset when you remove things from it. For example, you
    can remove the ObjectThumbnails file and all the thumbnails will be redrawn
    when you next start up (useful when you're making new objects) or you can
    remove the neighbourhoods folder and the game will recreate a new set for
    you. So it sounds like this might have happened when you removed
    Downloads - the game rewrote some of its protocols somewhere regarding your
    Downloads folder. I wonder if that always happens ...

    Be warned though you might still have a bit of hack in there as some don't
    show up with CleanInstaller. If you can bear it, it can be worthwhile to go
    through and look at every file and try and work out what it is. The red
    files were the hacks, BTW, while the pink ones were repeats - i.e. you had
    two or more copies of the same file. There is also a very useful programme
    in development called DatGen which allows all sorts of scanning of your
    Downloads - finding empty files, finding orphaned textures and a whole pile
    of other stuff too. It's still very much in beta at the moment but it will
    be well worth looking out for after a little more development.

    > It's working!!! I moved the downloads back in and it works like a charm
    so
    > ignore my last question :)
    >
    > ~ jo
    >
    > http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269
    > > Well, yes - the painting is a hacked object though I've not heard
    anything
    > > about these particular objects causing problems. Clean Installer is the
    > > programme that can scan your Downloads folder looking for hacks (which,
    as
    > > you found, can sneak in with downloaded lots). You can get it via Mod
    the
    > > Sims 2. It might help. Career hacks, BTW, seemed to cause the most
    > > problems and unfortunately don't always show up with Clean Installer -
    > > apparently it's the skins that really bugger things up. Or you could
    just
    > > try removing your Downloads folder and seeing if the game will load.
    Have
    > > you tried running Bodyshop and/or Homecrafter?
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, I *think* (and I don't *know* this for sure) once you
    have
    > > got a corrupt installation (installing over hacks and then the game not
    > > working) there might not be anything you can do to correct it. AFAIK,
    > > most
    > > people who encountered this, simply reinstalled (you can back up your
    > > neighbourhoods first). There's quite a lot of information about
    problems
    > > installing on the BBS and on sites like Mod the Sims 2. When you
    > > eventually
    > > get Nightlife, remember to remove your Downloads folder BEFORE you
    install
    > > the expansion. Also, if you have a nude patch in your Config folder,
    you
    > > will need to take that out too.
    > >
    > > http://forums.modthesims2.com/index.php?
    > >
    > > Best wishes
    > > Maxon
    > >
    > > "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > >> I don't actually play with any hacks knowingly... The only one I knew
    of
    > >> was that damned mail box one which came with a downloaded lot.. I
    removed
    > >> that. What about the paintings that give full needs? Are they hacks?
    > >> Is
    > >> there something that can scan over all my downloads that are already
    > >> installed and tell me what's not suitable?
    > >>
    > >> ~ jo
    > >>
    > >> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269
    > >> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > > Pleasantview
    I've
    > > little

    Thanks for all your help :) We're very lucky to have clever people like you
    around when it all goes pear shaped!

> [...]

    > > on new download quests to replenish it with new stuff. I couldn't find
    the
    > > file (or files -- I'm pretty sure there were probably custom clothing
    skins
    > > associated with that career that I never saw) that was causing the
    problem,
    > > but that was because my downloads folder was over 1 GB in size and I
    simply
    > > didn't want to take the time to sort all the way through it.
    > >
    > > Jeanie
    > >

    > I had the same thing happen. In SimPE, you can sort the files by
    > clicking at the top of the column. There's one for file type (clothing,
    > object, makeup, etc.) Click at the top of that column and then scan
    > down it and see if you see any custom careers. They're not too hard to
    > find when they're sorted by type, and if there's more than one they'll

    Yes, well, when your downloads folder is as full as mine was, it takes
    something like an hour for SimPE or CleanInstaller to load the whold folder
    and if you click on ANYTHING on the screen while it is loading, the computer
    will crash. I learned that the hard way and decided I would try that again.
    LOL

    Jeanie

    > Yes, well, when your downloads folder is as full as mine was, it takes
    > something like an hour for SimPE or CleanInstaller to load the whold
    > folder
    > and if you click on ANYTHING on the screen while it is loading, the
    > computer
    > will crash. I learned that the hard way and decided I would try that
    > again.
    > LOL
    >
    > Jeanie

    I find it is much faster if you un-check the Thumbnail Scanner.
    You just do not get to see the preview pictures.

    Davybear wrote:
    > "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Yes, well, when your downloads folder is as full as mine was, it
    >> takes something like an hour for SimPE or CleanInstaller to load the
    >> whold folder
    >> and if you click on ANYTHING on the screen while it is loading, the
    >> computer
    >> will crash. I learned that the hard way and decided I would try that
    >> again.
    >> LOL
    >>
    >> Jeanie
    >>

    > I find it is much faster if you un-check the Thumbnail Scanner.
    > You just do not get to see the preview pictures.

    Jesus, how in the world would you be able to tell what was what without the
    preview pictures! I said my downloads folder had over 1GB of files in it
    and the vast majority of them have gibberish for titles that gives you
    absolutely no clue as to what's in there.

    Jeanie

    > Davybear wrote:
    >> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Yes, well, when your downloads folder is as full as mine was, it
    >>> takes something like an hour for SimPE or CleanInstaller to load the
    >>> whold folder
    >>> and if you click on ANYTHING on the screen while it is loading, the
    >>> computer
    >>> will crash. I learned that the hard way and decided I would try that
    >>> again.
    >>> LOL
    >>>
    >>> Jeanie
    >>>

    >> I find it is much faster if you un-check the Thumbnail Scanner.
    >> You just do not get to see the preview pictures.
    >
    > Jesus, how in the world would you be able to tell what was what without
    > the
    > preview pictures! I said my downloads folder had over 1GB of files in it
    > and the vast majority of them have gibberish for titles that gives you
    > absolutely no clue as to what's in there.
    >
    > Jeanie

    But it will say whether it is an object, recolor, sim, genetic or whatever.

Sims Games Video Games