  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
July 24, 2005 2:47:39 AM

It loads fine, it all looks great... I moved some sims from Pleasantview
into the uni bins, I redecorated a dorm for them and then moved them in
ready to play and nothing... it sits at 8.00am and nothing works, I've saved
then gone back to the neighbourhood screen and back in and my poor little
sims just stand there. It's not frozen as I can give them commands and I
still see the notes of music playing from the stereo... so it's not an
animation problem. Any ideas?

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...

More about : finally university

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:47:40 AM

Did you remove any hacks when you installed?

This is always the first question.

Best wishes
Maxon

"jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> It loads fine, it all looks great... I moved some sims from Pleasantview
> into the uni bins, I redecorated a dorm for them and then moved them in
> ready to play and nothing... it sits at 8.00am and nothing works, I've
saved
> then gone back to the neighbourhood screen and back in and my poor little
> sims just stand there. It's not frozen as I can give them commands and I
> still see the notes of music playing from the stereo... so it's not an
> animation problem. Any ideas?
>
> ~ jo
>
> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...

July 24, 2005 4:35:57 AM

I don't actually play with any hacks knowingly... The only one I knew of
was that damned mail box one which came with a downloaded lot.. I removed
that. What about the paintings that give full needs? Are they hacks? Is
there something that can scan over all my downloads that are already
installed and tell me what's not suitable?

> Did you remove any hacks when you installed?
>
> This is always the first question.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>

> "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> It loads fine, it all looks great... I moved some sims from Pleasantview
>> into the uni bins, I redecorated a dorm for them and then moved them in
>> ready to play and nothing... it sits at 8.00am and nothing works, I've
> saved
>> then gone back to the neighbourhood screen and back in and my poor little
>> sims just stand there. It's not frozen as I can give them commands and I
>> still see the notes of music playing from the stereo... so it's not an
>> animation problem. Any ideas?
>>
>> ~ jo
>>
>> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:35:58 AM

Well, yes - the painting is a hacked object though I've not heard anything
about these particular objects causing problems. Clean Installer is the
programme that can scan your Downloads folder looking for hacks (which, as
you found, can sneak in with downloaded lots). You can get it via Mod the
Sims 2. It might help. Career hacks, BTW, seemed to cause the most
problems and unfortunately don't always show up with Clean Installer -
apparently it's the skins that really bugger things up. Or you could just
try removing your Downloads folder and seeing if the game will load. Have
you tried running Bodyshop and/or Homecrafter?

Unfortunately, I *think* (and I don't *know* this for sure) once you have
got a corrupt installation (installing over hacks and then the game not
working) there might not be anything you can do to correct it. AFAIK, most
people who encountered this, simply reinstalled (you can back up your
neighbourhoods first). There's quite a lot of information about problems
installing on the BBS and on sites like Mod the Sims 2. When you eventually
get Nightlife, remember to remove your Downloads folder BEFORE you install
the expansion. Also, if you have a nude patch in your Config folder, you
will need to take that out too.

http://forums.modthesims2.com/index.php?

> I don't actually play with any hacks knowingly... The only one I knew of
> was that damned mail box one which came with a downloaded lot.. I removed
> that. What about the paintings that give full needs? Are they hacks? Is
> there something that can scan over all my downloads that are already
> installed and tell me what's not suitable?
>
> ~ jo
>
> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...
> > Did you remove any hacks when you installed?
> >
> > This is always the first question.
> >
> > Best wishes
> > Maxon
> >

> > "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> >> It loads fine, it all looks great... I moved some sims from
Pleasantview
> >> into the uni bins, I redecorated a dorm for them and then moved them in
> >> ready to play and nothing... it sits at 8.00am and nothing works, I've
> > saved
> >> then gone back to the neighbourhood screen and back in and my poor
little
> >> sims just stand there. It's not frozen as I can give them commands and
> >> still see the notes of music playing from the stereo... so it's not an
> >> animation problem. Any ideas?
> >>
> >> ~ jo
> >>
> >> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:50:12 AM

jo wrote:
> Yes I found a custom career, something that must have come with a house or
> sim I downloaded... criminal...LOL.. And it was once that had been removed
> that it worked. I couldn't bare to lose all my downloads - 14,000 + of them
> (and probably another 10,000 I haven't installed yet)... And it looks like
> I won't have to! I did notice last night however after I got it going and
> was having a wonderful time redecorating everyone's dorm room to match their
> personalities ;-Þ that some recolours I've downloaded, which worked prior to
> the ep, looked fine in the box where you choose them (as in weren't blue or
> transparent) but once I chose them and tried to place them they were all
> blue? Any idea why?
>
> ~ jo

I seem to vaguely remember that some of the first recolors that were
done, are somehow not compatible with University. I've seen a lot of
posts on MTS2 about re-downloading recolors since the expansion pack
came out. But I think all the ones I've had trouble with were blue in
the selection box.

--
Donna
July 25, 2005 2:54:42 AM

It's working!!! I moved the downloads back in and it works like a charm so
ignore my last question :)

> Well, yes - the painting is a hacked object though I've not heard anything
> about these particular objects causing problems. Clean Installer is the
> programme that can scan your Downloads folder looking for hacks (which, as
> you found, can sneak in with downloaded lots). You can get it via Mod the
> Sims 2. It might help. Career hacks, BTW, seemed to cause the most
> problems and unfortunately don't always show up with Clean Installer -
> apparently it's the skins that really bugger things up. Or you could just
> try removing your Downloads folder and seeing if the game will load. Have
> you tried running Bodyshop and/or Homecrafter?
>
> Unfortunately, I *think* (and I don't *know* this for sure) once you have
> got a corrupt installation (installing over hacks and then the game not
> working) there might not be anything you can do to correct it. AFAIK,
> most
> people who encountered this, simply reinstalled (you can back up your
> neighbourhoods first). There's quite a lot of information about problems
> installing on the BBS and on sites like Mod the Sims 2. When you
> eventually
> get Nightlife, remember to remove your Downloads folder BEFORE you install
> the expansion. Also, if you have a nude patch in your Config folder, you
> will need to take that out too.
>
> http://forums.modthesims2.com/index.php?
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>
> "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> I don't actually play with any hacks knowingly... The only one I knew of
>> was that damned mail box one which came with a downloaded lot.. I removed
>> that. What about the paintings that give full needs? Are they hacks?
>> Is
>> there something that can scan over all my downloads that are already
>> installed and tell me what's not suitable?
>>
>> ~ jo
>>
>> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...
>> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> > Did you remove any hacks when you installed?
>> >
>> > This is always the first question.
>> >
>> > Best wishes
>> > Maxon
>> >

>> > "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Pleasantview
>> > saved
> little

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 2:54:43 AM

OK - the game will reset when you remove things from it. For example, you
can remove the ObjectThumbnails file and all the thumbnails will be redrawn
when you next start up (useful when you're making new objects) or you can
remove the neighbourhoods folder and the game will recreate a new set for
you. So it sounds like this might have happened when you removed
Downloads - the game rewrote some of its protocols somewhere regarding your
Downloads folder. I wonder if that always happens ...

Be warned though you might still have a bit of hack in there as some don't
show up with CleanInstaller. If you can bear it, it can be worthwhile to go
through and look at every file and try and work out what it is. The red
files were the hacks, BTW, while the pink ones were repeats - i.e. you had
two or more copies of the same file. There is also a very useful programme
in development called DatGen which allows all sorts of scanning of your
Downloads - finding empty files, finding orphaned textures and a whole pile
of other stuff too. It's still very much in beta at the moment but it will
be well worth looking out for after a little more development.

> It's working!!! I moved the downloads back in and it works like a charm
so
> ignore my last question :)
>
> ~ jo
>
> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...
> > Well, yes - the painting is a hacked object though I've not heard
anything
> > about these particular objects causing problems. Clean Installer is the
> > programme that can scan your Downloads folder looking for hacks (which,
as
> > you found, can sneak in with downloaded lots). You can get it via Mod
the
> > Sims 2. It might help. Career hacks, BTW, seemed to cause the most
> > problems and unfortunately don't always show up with Clean Installer -
> > apparently it's the skins that really bugger things up. Or you could
just
> > try removing your Downloads folder and seeing if the game will load.
Have
> > you tried running Bodyshop and/or Homecrafter?
> >
> > Unfortunately, I *think* (and I don't *know* this for sure) once you
have
> > got a corrupt installation (installing over hacks and then the game not
> > working) there might not be anything you can do to correct it. AFAIK,
> > most
> > people who encountered this, simply reinstalled (you can back up your
> > neighbourhoods first). There's quite a lot of information about
problems
> > installing on the BBS and on sites like Mod the Sims 2. When you
> > eventually
> > get Nightlife, remember to remove your Downloads folder BEFORE you
install
> > the expansion. Also, if you have a nude patch in your Config folder,
you
> > will need to take that out too.
> >
> > http://forums.modthesims2.com/index.php?
> >
> > Best wishes
> > Maxon
> >
> > "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> >> I don't actually play with any hacks knowingly... The only one I knew
of
> >> was that damned mail box one which came with a downloaded lot.. I
removed
> >> that. What about the paintings that give full needs? Are they hacks?
> >> Is
> >> there something that can scan over all my downloads that are already
> >> installed and tell me what's not suitable?
> >>
> >> ~ jo
> >>
> >> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...
> >> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message

> > Pleasantview
I've
> > little

July 25, 2005 11:34:58 AM

Thanks for all your help :)  We're very lucky to have clever people like you
around when it all goes pear shaped!

> [...]
> Have
>> > you tried running Bodyshop and/or Homecrafter?
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, I *think* (and I don't *know* this for sure) once you
> have
>> > got a corrupt installation (installing over hacks and then the game not
>> > working) there might not be anything you can do to correct it. AFAIK,
>> > most
>> > people who encountered this, simply reinstalled (you can back up your
>> > neighbourhoods first). There's quite a lot of information about
> problems
>> > installing on the BBS and on sites like Mod the Sims 2. When you
>> > eventually
>> > get Nightlife, remember to remove your Downloads folder BEFORE you
> install
>> > the expansion. Also, if you have a nude patch in your Config folder,

July 25, 2005 7:24:31 PM

> > I'm betting you have a custom career in that downloads folder somewhere.
> > wound up with one that had to come in with a downloaded house because I
have
> > never felt the need to download custom careers, food, majors or anything
> > like that. But I noticed I had "Adult Industry" as a career choice from
> > time to time, and I'm certain that wasn't part of the game. At any
rate,
> > when I installed University, it only worked when I removed my downloads
> > folder completely, so I ended up just trashing the whole thing and going
off
> > on new download quests to replenish it with new stuff. I couldn't find
the
> > file (or files -- I'm pretty sure there were probably custom clothing
skins
> > associated with that career that I never saw) that was causing the
problem,
> > but that was because my downloads folder was over 1 GB in size and I
simply
> > didn't want to take the time to sort all the way through it.
> >
> > Jeanie
> >

> I had the same thing happen. In SimPE, you can sort the files by
> clicking at the top of the column. There's one for file type (clothing,
> object, makeup, etc.) Click at the top of that column and then scan
> down it and see if you see any custom careers. They're not too hard to
> find when they're sorted by type, and if there's more than one they'll
> all be grouped together.
>
> --
> Donna

Yes, well, when your downloads folder is as full as mine was, it takes
something like an hour for SimPE or CleanInstaller to load the whold folder
and if you click on ANYTHING on the screen while it is loading, the computer
will crash. I learned that the hard way and decided I would try that again.
LOL

Jeanie
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:20:45 AM

news:p u7Fe.180810$_o.36079@attbi_s71...

> Yes, well, when your downloads folder is as full as mine was, it takes
> something like an hour for SimPE or CleanInstaller to load the whold
> folder
> and if you click on ANYTHING on the screen while it is loading, the
> computer
> will crash. I learned that the hard way and decided I would try that
> again.
> LOL
>
> Jeanie

I find it is much faster if you un-check the Thumbnail Scanner.
You just do not get to see the preview pictures.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 7:45:08 PM

Davybear wrote:
> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> news:p u7Fe.180810$_o.36079@attbi_s71...
>>

>> Yes, well, when your downloads folder is as full as mine was, it
>> takes something like an hour for SimPE or CleanInstaller to load the
>> whold folder
>> and if you click on ANYTHING on the screen while it is loading, the
>> computer
>> will crash. I learned that the hard way and decided I would try that
>> again.
>> LOL
>>
>> Jeanie
>>

> I find it is much faster if you un-check the Thumbnail Scanner.
> You just do not get to see the preview pictures.

Jesus, how in the world would you be able to tell what was what without the
preview pictures! I said my downloads folder had over 1GB of files in it
and the vast majority of them have gibberish for titles that gives you
absolutely no clue as to what's in there.

Jeanie
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 7:45:09 PM

> Davybear wrote:
>> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>> news:p u7Fe.180810$_o.36079@attbi_s71...
>>>

>>> Yes, well, when your downloads folder is as full as mine was, it
>>> takes something like an hour for SimPE or CleanInstaller to load the
>>> whold folder
>>> and if you click on ANYTHING on the screen while it is loading, the
>>> computer
>>> will crash. I learned that the hard way and decided I would try that
>>> again.
>>> LOL
>>>
>>> Jeanie
>>>

>> I find it is much faster if you un-check the Thumbnail Scanner.
>> You just do not get to see the preview pictures.
>
> Jesus, how in the world would you be able to tell what was what without
> the
> preview pictures! I said my downloads folder had over 1GB of files in it
> and the vast majority of them have gibberish for titles that gives you
> absolutely no clue as to what's in there.
>
> Jeanie

But it will say whether it is an object, recolor, sim, genetic or whatever.