Windows XP will not recognize anything plugged into USB port(Solved)

nolanroy

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion dv8000. I can turn on the computer and plug a Flash drive/ipod/iphone in a USb port and it will recognize it and work perfectly. Problem is, If I unplug the device for any reason and then plug it back in, it does not recognize it and shows up with a yellow exclamation mark beside it in device manager. I can restart the computer and it will work properly again but if I unplug it and plug it back in it stops working. This is extremely frustrating and I've never ran into an issue like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

When you unplug it, do you eject it first? If not, this will explain the issue. Most USB devices must be idled with the "Safely Remove Hardware" control or a specific control inside the specific app for that device (if it's not generic USB).

Even the iDevices, if they are configured to present as a mass storage device, must be properly stopped.

nolanroy

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Yes, I make sure to eject it or use the "safely remove hardware" each time I remove it. This problem is very frustrating and I've been googling for days with no answer yet.

Interesting to know. Thanks for sharing that.
I have SP3 and no USB problems, but it may be controller- or mobo-specific. Or an interaction with other drivers. Or your house is over a ley line. Or something...