Soon to be new config, please rate/comment

atmosphere

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Dear all,

gonna go for a new hardware pretty soon ( sept. 2009 ).
Havent posted so far, so please be kind =)

So here is the config. please leave constructive criticism so I can make changes. Bare in mind that I do not have access to 'all' hardware that is out there on the web. Try to keep yourself in 'widely accessible' range of hardware.
Trying to build a descent gamer's machine ( mainly focused on MMO's and Strategy games)

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8400 BOX 2x 3.0GHz 1333MHz 6MB Sck.775
DDR II 4GB (2X2GB kit) 1066MHz OCZ Reaper
GIGABYTE EP45T-UD3LR Sck.775
GIGABYTE ATI HD4850 1GB DDR3
HDD 320GB SEAGATE S-ATA300 16MB NCQ3
OCZ StealthXStream 500W
SAMSUNG SM 2233BW

All of the above totaling around 850EUR. That's the range I want to be in.
Maybe a bit lower, if possible, but same performances.

All of your comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

/atmosphere

Where will you be buying from so i know where to look for parts?
What resolution is the monitor that you will be playing on?

In general linking to the parts helps a ton so we know exactly which one you are talking about as there are often multiples with similar names, like that seagate HDD, i dont know if its a .10, .11, or a .12 series.

You can get an AMD triple core build that will perform better for about the same price or less, atleast here in the states.

Intels socket 775/ e8400 is at the end of its life and being replaced in a couple of weeks .
DONT buy an intel cpu right now

wait 3 -4 weeks and then get back with the same question , when we have seen the new i5 cpu's benchmarked

atmosphere

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
@hunter315 www.plus.ba that's the page of the local shop. It doesnt provide very detailed information of the parts, so I have no idea which series it is.

@outlander_04 Looking forward to work on 1680x1050 resolution.

So if I'd want to get a new computer now, in a range of 800-850E with that syncmaster monitor ( no access to others... ) what kind of config would you recommend ( if you can, try linking parts from the url I gave above )

Thank you for your replies!

/atmosphere

With you prospective build (keeping in mind outlander's advice), you have spec'd a DDR3 motherboard with DDR2 memory. I'd recommend the DDR2 model - GA-EP45-UD3L.

Regardless of which motherboard, make sure that the Seagate drive you get is a 7200.12 model. Some of the .11 models had firmware problems and any .10 drive has spent too long sitting on a shelf. And I think the 500 GB .12 is a single platter drive, and therefore a little faster than the older ones.

atmosphere

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Guys, you are awesome!

Keep the advice coming!

Can you give me some advice what to get in range of 800-850E, or what should I change in the spec I have given in my first post.

Thx for the MB advice!

@griffolion i cannot get spinpoint f1, and really do not want to order from the web.

Another side note, is there a trusted online ordering page, from which most of you guys order hardware?

/atmosphere