First time cpu install

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hi,
I have just attempted to install an i7 920 onto a Asus P6td deluxe with the prolimatech megahalems cooler.

This is the first time I have attempted to install a cpu so bear with me.

I have a couple of questions before i go any further into the build.

Unfortunately I got a bit of the thermal compound (artic silver 5) on the heatsink pipes and load plate, and a tiny little bit on the metal ridge that steps down from the heatspreader of the cpu. I at least managed to get rid of any blobs but there are grey paste marks still visible. Just wondering if this is going to be an issue?

Also, I tried my best, but the heatsink itself is a couple of millimetres off centre. There seemed no way of assuring it was completely centre when I placed it on the cpu. Now I have screwed in the mounting bar, if i look down and use reference points from the screws on this bar, I can see that it is maybe 1 or 2 millimetres towards the front of the mounting bracket. Is this cushty?

I also heard a very very slight creak from the cpu as i put it in, as i placed very very slight pressure on one corner accidently (I hoping it was just some plastic creaking). I took it off and pins all looked completely straight, but was just wondering if I could of damaged something on the underside of the cpu itself which I didn't actually check.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Unfortunately I got a bit of the thermal compound (artic silver 5) on the heatsink pipes and load plate, and a tiny little bit on the metal ridge that steps down from the heatspreader of the cpu. I at least managed to get rid of any blobs but there are grey paste marks still visible. Just wondering if this is going to be an issue?
No. It's not an issue.

I also heard a very very slight creak from the cpu as i put it in, as i placed very very slight pressure on one corner accidently (I hoping it was just some plastic creaking). I took it off and pins all looked completely straight, but was just wondering if I could of damaged something on the underside of the cpu itself which I didn't actually check.
Doubt you did any harm.

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Cool, thanks for the reassurance.

I also put the heatsink down once, then removed it to see if there was an even spread of thermal paste on the cpu. I then placed it down again and screwed it in.

Am I right in thinking that I should of reapplied the paste?

Does this mean removing the paste with some cleaner and applying fresh paste, or just making it an even spread again?

Would it even be neccessary to reapply it as I haven't actually fired it up yet?

If i decide to reapply, would the fact that its now a couple of days since i first put on the heatsink mean I would definetely need to clean it off and get a fresh layer (even though it hasn't been used and heated), or could i just smooth out whats already there?

I hope thats clear.

thanks again

You're probably fine with the heatsink. Once you get the system up and running, use a program like HWMonitor to show you what the temperatures are. The temperatures with nothing in particular running are pretty much certain to be OK. For the acid test, run Prime95 and watch to see how high the temperatures go. As long as the core temperatures are no worse than the low 70s Celsius, then you're fine.

If that all checks out, you've got absolutely no issues with your heat sink.

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I think it is all fine. If you are STILL a little scared after you install everything run a Temperature Monitoring Software like SPEED FAN to see your temperature.