Computer does not recognize seagate hard dive

rbaggett01

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Trying to install a seagate 1 TB Barracuda Hard drive on an HP Pavilion desk top model P6210F. My old hard drive crashed. Bought this hard drive and can not see it in bios . Per the seagate inst. 1st tried out of the box . the per inst. maunal tried to pin the outer to jumper to slow it down thinking my compter did not support the higher transfer rate of new dive per manual. Bios show no drive at all . Can not get past this to do anything to install new drive . have ckecked bios for all correct sata setting. Ran Pc dr. it says cpu is OK and ram is Ok when gets drive get error code (Biohd-2) Move sata cabels to different controlers. with no luck.
do not have another sata drive working to see if Bios sees it or not. Not sure what do at this point. do not want to start buying more parts as guess work Motherboard , sata cards. ect . any info would be greatfull thanks in advanced. hope I give enough info
to hellp.
Rick

Solution
Hi Rick,
Thanks for the comptuer specs. Your description indicates the BIOS is functioning.
Couple more questions. I reviewed your MB but I could not find, even in the manual, screen shots of the BIOS pages. If you know the link to the BIOS, let us know.

Check the amount of RAM for completeness, It's dual channel, 4 slots. Not sure how you get 6GB unless the 4th slot is not populated.
List if you are using the onboard video subsystem and that you get actual text on the monitor.

Here's the important question. You don't have front I/O pins for a speaker, but the board does have a small "buzzer" on it, which gives you important beep codes during startup. If the HDD is missing, it will give you a specific set of beeps, RAM missing...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Rick,

Please post as much detail about your computer as you have, CPU, RAM, Video card, CD or DVD drive, and how did you come to the conclusion that your old HDD was defective as compared to a component on the MB?

Also are there any other HDD's on the computer, or a DVD or CD? Does the DVD or CD show up in the BIOS?
After your initial problems, did you reset the BIOS back to standard settings?
Also, do you have a small speaker on the front I/O header, that normally gives you an "all OK single beep" as it boots past the system setup phase?

Couple of obvious but important items, on the Integratd Peripheral page of your BIOS make sure the SATA controller is Enabled, an double check that the power cable is plugged into the HDD and it spins up properly. If it doesn't have proper power, it won't show up in the BIOS.

Lastly, if you let it go past the Splash Screen, do you get a message on the monitor saying "Non System Disk or Disk Error"?

With as much info as you have, and what exactly happened at the time your HDD went bad, someone will be able to get you going again.

rbaggett01

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for help here is the info about my computer
1. Model Hp Paviloin P6210fpc
2. Serial NO. 3cr935002d
3. Product # NY544AA
4. Window 7 Home Pre.
5. Motherboard (Pegatron) (Violet) (M2N78-LA)
6. Bios (American Megatrends 2.61) (Version 5.06)
7. ATX mirco Case
8. CPU AMD Athlon TM II X4 620
9. CPU Speed 2.60 GB
10. Cash Ram (L2) 512KBx4
11 samsung hard drive will have to look at model no. 500 gig
12 6 gigs of ram
11 here is a link to my mother board
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01635734&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4006017

.Tried to boot computer did not boot up check cables ect. the basic stuff. keep notrons anti virsu up to date have not downloaded any thing as for as virus. unhooked power plug to try reset ,unhooked batt. on mother board to reset bios, , again the basic stuff. no luck . so went into bios and it did not show any hard drives DVS or anything. but ram and cpu.
when I boot it up the boot up window give me an option to run PC doctor it said CPU OK Ram ok hard drive had an error coed
BIOHD-2 and to check cables as I did again . I had not been it computer messing with any thing as computer is about a year and1/2 old but checked cables again anyway of coures with on luck agian tried to run Recovery disk and agian can not get passed boot up screen then it
tells me to insert bootable divice . Tried this many times , Tried repair disk no luck . got to checking around most said bad hard drive. I did try to move the satal cables to different controlers no luck . So I could ues bigger hard drive anyway so picked up a seagate
Barracuda 1 TB 32mb 7200 Rpm . Hooked it up bios did not see it . Though because of size my board may not support drive . read
manual it said to pin the two outher pin to make it run slower at 1.5 mb I think will have to look back at manual but thats what I
did again no luck . so I was thinking bad mother board . not sure. do not want to just start buying parts without a better Ideal of what parts needed . So this is where I am Did not mean to be so long winded but trying to give chain of events. at this point can not even get to a dos Promp . so thanks for any help I know some things about compters but this is over my head again thanks for help The powder supply comes on ok but is it an on or off DEAL are can it be on but not up to full power I wondered about that but was not sure
Rick

rbaggett01

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Ps On board video , DVD writer Pci Express network card have not done any updates to hardware every thing is
as it was when I bought it . No my dvd dose not show up in bios, and I did reset my bios to factory default seting and
saved before leaving bios. I went to Hp website and looked at my motherboard and did notice that it had options in there
bios that I did not but it was for my mother board . It show my cpu , cpu speed , ram when it came to drives it said
drive 1 none drive 2 none ect. for all 4 dives . Did not see any auto detect drive as I have seen in other bios in other
computer. I have had. I have it booting to DVD/CD then Hard drive i did move them around and put hard drive 1st thinking
maybe DVD payer was bad . no luck so changed it back . Have been looking at how I would reload bios if that can be done . have not done this at this point . do not have another sata drive that I can put in that is a known working drive trying to find one from
a friend. again this is where i am and again sorry for the long story trying to give all details.
Rick

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Rick,
Thanks for the comptuer specs. Your description indicates the BIOS is functioning.
Couple more questions. I reviewed your MB but I could not find, even in the manual, screen shots of the BIOS pages. If you know the link to the BIOS, let us know.

Check the amount of RAM for completeness, It's dual channel, 4 slots. Not sure how you get 6GB unless the 4th slot is not populated.
List if you are using the onboard video subsystem and that you get actual text on the monitor.

Here's the important question. You don't have front I/O pins for a speaker, but the board does have a small "buzzer" on it, which gives you important beep codes during startup. If the HDD is missing, it will give you a specific set of beeps, RAM missing different beeps.

If no beeps, the MB is bad. Listen carefully with the side off for any buzzer beeps as it tries to startup.

The fact that it doesn't recognize both your HDD and DVD (very rare both would go bad at the same time) means there a problem with the MB or the SATA controller. I'm assuming the DVD is a SATA drive like the pictures show, and you havent't changed the DVD connections.

Solution

rbaggett01

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hello Mr. VanKirk,
Again thank for taking time with me .
Here are some links with Pictures of My Bios. go down to botton of list to Bios setup menu screen, then bios 6 or less
this has some pictures of how my Bios should look .

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4006017&tmp_track_link=ot_search

This link is the overall decription of my computer listing the ram ect. I have 4 slots 3 have stick one does not
in looking at my bios I think the no. 1 slot is the empty one . will have to ckeck that again for sure.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01852858&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4006017

Your ?
about ( List if you are using the onboard video subsystem and that you get actual text on the monitor )

Yes I am useing onboard Video per factory setup. Yes I do get test on screen it say insert a bootable divce and press any key. if i Prsss a key it just repeats the same thing over and over. so I try to load my disk recovey disk at this point but get same meassage is not seeing or loading DVD recovey Disk so i am thinking it dose not see DVD. which is not showing up in Bios, Not sure about video subsystem not sure what that is that ? is over
my skill level as you can tell I know enough to be dangerous. LOL.

Your ?
(Here's the important question. You don't have front I/O pins for a speaker, but the board does have a small "buzzer" on it, which gives you important beep codes during startup. If the HDD is missing, it will give you a specific set of beeps, RAM missing different beeps.If no beeps, the MB is bad. Listen carefully with the side off for any buzzer beeps as it tries to startup.
The fact that it doesn't recognize both your HDD and DVD (very rare both would go bad at the same time) means there a problem with the MB or the SATA controller. I'm assuming the DVD is a SATA drive like the pictures show, and you havent't changed the DVD connections)

I wiil check for Beep not at home now will check but it seems like it beeps once at the very start of the boot up will check again when I get home but I do not think there are more than the one beep as I said .
and all my controlers are SATA 4 of them. I have tried to move them around to see if maybe just one was bad with no luck.
Most of the time if I can get to a dos prompt are a menu I can move forward slowly but surly . But at this point I have no tools to
work with and I as said I do not a another sata desktop to trade things out to > I am on laptop but of course parts are Different.
Will Keep plugging along this is how you learn . and again thanks so much for all you time.
Rick

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Rick,

Listen carefully when you get home for any beep codes from that buzzer. If you can hear 1 single short beep, means it passed the POST successfully. I would be very surprised if you hear that.

Also check in the BIOS and make sure that both the HDD and DVD device are not recognized.

You are doing just fine, it's always frustrating when things don't work properly and you don't have the familiar troubleshooting tools to count on.

rbaggett01

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hello Again

I listen to my MB on boot up no beeps also hooked up my drive to a friends computed and it is OK. So looks
like a mother board I think. hooked his sata drive to my computer and it did not see it or my DVD. I can not
think of any other things to look at so will start Looking at mother boards that will fit my case ect. Will post the
outcome as I move forward just for FYI are anyone else this info may help you have given me a lot of good info. for troubleshooting and not just buying parts I did not need . Have been Looking at MSI MB. this is not
a high end system so not going to put high end parts in it. Am still open to any more input but looks like
MB as I said . Again thanks MR VanKirk for your time will keep up with the fourm as there is a lot of good post
on many subjects. can lean alot.
Thanks
Rick

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Rick,

You're right, no beeps means a Motherboard problem!

Look on MSI's site, or ASUS, or Gigabyte and on most you can put in your CPU type of the old MB, and it will give you choices that'll work.
Check that your RAM is on the compatability list, and you should be good to go.

Good luck.