IRQ Problems in Windows 2000

G

I've noticed that there have been several posts on this forum, as well as several other newsgroups related to the following problem:

IRQ sharing in Windows 2000.

The basic problem is that Windows 2000 will put several items of hardware on the same IRQ. User's can't manually change these in windows 2000 as well. I have heard of this happening on almost all Via KX133 & KT133 motherboards (Asus A7V & ABIT KA7-100 Especially).

Does anyone know of a solution for this that works? I have heard of the follwing solutions and was wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of all of them:

Disable PNP OS in BIOS
Disable ACPI in BIOS (is this the same as PNP OS?)
Install Via AGP Fix
Install MS Via AGP fix

I would also like to request that Tom consider doing a article on this topic. I am saying this because about 30-60% of all posts to the Windows 2000 forum have involved this issue.

G

I am running 2000 pro on a KA7-100 and I have no problems. I do have PNP OS enabled and all I can recommend is keep all your system drivers up to date.

If you continue to have problems the easiest way to resolve irq problems is to change which slots your pci cards are in.

As far as ACPI in bios....It should not cause the problems you are talking about but its not a bad idea to disable since it sometimes causes computers to freeze in standby mode.

Good Luck.....Jason

G

read the IRQ9 thread - this has already been covered.

Disable ACPI in BIOS - this only works if you do it before installing win2k. Once 2k is installed you'll have to follow the procedure detailed in the IRQ9 thread.