RC Install from HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyKCIUK

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I downloaded Win7 RC 64bit yesterday and I have a question.

I don't have a DVD writer and the only pendrive I have is only 2GB. So, I copied all Win7 files using VirtualCloneDrive to a clean partition on my HDD (D:\). BTW, I have just one HDD at the moment.

I can't install Win7 though as I'm using XP 32bit and I get "setup.EXE is not a valid Win32 application" message.

Will I be able to do a clean install of Win7 from my hdd after erasing my XP system partition (C:\) and setting the other partition (D:\) as a primary one? I know it sounds a bit stupid... :pfff: Just wondering.

andyKCIUK

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

I'm a mean bastard and have no friends... All those poor souls who know me don't have a DVD writer.

I thought of following way of installing Win7 from HDD:

- I set the BIOS to boot from CD,
- I put my XP install disc in and choose to install XP from the menu,
- I delete the main partition with XP on it (C:\),
- I create a new partition,
- I take the XP disc out and reboot,
- I set the BIOS to boot from HDD,
- Win7 nicely installs from the other partition (D:\)

Am I crazy? :whistle:

I would recommend against deleting your existing partition - Even if only for the convenience of saving your existing data.

Anyways, that might work - But being a Lazy git, I'd be inclined just to get thumb drive big enough to hold the .iso and install to a new partition/drive.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
The PC I am typing from is running Windows 7 installed from the HDD.
I extracted the ISO to a new folder, previously created on the desk top, using Magic ISO.
Opened the folder and copied all the files and pasted them on a clean/formatted 20GB partition.
Double-clicked the "set-up .exe"
Straight forward.

andyKCIUK

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

I bet you'd been using a 64bit OS...

Status
Not open for further replies.