Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cingular & V551 drops connection after 6 to 15 minutes

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 1, 2005 1:11:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Also checkout alt.celllar.motorola too for more details!


Cingular - Motorola drops sync after 6 to 15 minutes of connection! I have
been in contact with Cingular Customer Service about all my calls dropping
after 6 to 15 minutes of connection with land lines or other cellular
users. This was duplicated with other users and verified by Cingular that
Motorola has sent out a quick fix for this problem. It may be a quick fix
but not acceptable by all.

Problem: when talking to a friend or contact and your connection is
stationary to one cellsite and exceeds 6 minutes, your connection starts to
fade away and you drop sound from oneside of the connection. If you hold
on during the "are you there?" time, you have a 50/50 chance of
reconnection.

Their Quick Fix: They informed me that all of Motorola phones (my phone is
a V551) need to be Power Recycled within 3 days or the phone would could
loose sync. What is means is that we must power-down the phone as if we are
on an airplane for 15 seconds before we can place the phone in the battery
charger. This way the phone will re-sync to Cingular network.

I'm appalled at this option no where in the Motorola Manual or Cingular
website states this to be done. I have requested to exchange my Motorola
for any other cellular manufacture. All they would do is replace my
Motorola phone and state that the problem will continue. and I must remember
to power-down the phone every 3 days or sooner.

My Siemens S46 phones (3 units) that I had for years never needed to be
power down when used on the ATT /Cingular network. Why now?
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:10:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I've noticed similar problem with V551 but only when outside local area. In local area calls last for hours.
Why is this just now coming to the surface. This is the first time I've seen it in news groups.

"Steve" <ciwaus@netzer0.net> wrote in message news:frCdnSR6k8QYmrnfRVn-jA@wavecable.com...
> Also checkout alt.celllar.motorola too for more details!
>
>
> Cingular - Motorola drops sync after 6 to 15 minutes of connection! I have
> been in contact with Cingular Customer Service about all my calls dropping
> after 6 to 15 minutes of connection with land lines or other cellular
> users. This was duplicated with other users and verified by Cingular that
> Motorola has sent out a quick fix for this problem. It may be a quick fix
> but not acceptable by all.
>
> Problem: when talking to a friend or contact and your connection is
> stationary to one cellsite and exceeds 6 minutes, your connection starts to
> fade away and you drop sound from oneside of the connection. If you hold
> on during the "are you there?" time, you have a 50/50 chance of
> reconnection.
>
> Their Quick Fix: They informed me that all of Motorola phones (my phone is
> a V551) need to be Power Recycled within 3 days or the phone would could
> loose sync. What is means is that we must power-down the phone as if we are
> on an airplane for 15 seconds before we can place the phone in the battery
> charger. This way the phone will re-sync to Cingular network.
>
> I'm appalled at this option no where in the Motorola Manual or Cingular
> website states this to be done. I have requested to exchange my Motorola
> for any other cellular manufacture. All they would do is replace my
> Motorola phone and state that the problem will continue. and I must remember
> to power-down the phone every 3 days or sooner.
>
> My Siemens S46 phones (3 units) that I had for years never needed to be
> power down when used on the ATT /Cingular network. Why now?
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:30:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On 3/1/05 10:09 PM, in article
b8aVd.3604$wy3.354@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, "Steve"
<nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:

> Total BS. Same post word for word was posted about a month ago.
>
> I hold business conference calls lasting more than an hour or two on V551,
> as well as V600 and hardly ever have a call drop as described below. That
> would be 4x-10x per hour.

No. Check www.howardforums.com -> Cingular and search for a post "another
reason to hate Moto". Apparently if you don't reboot your V551 every couple
days it will drop after 15 mins.....
Related resources
March 2, 2005 2:06:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Steve wrote:

> Also checkout alt.celllar.motorola too for more details!
>
>
> Cingular - Motorola drops sync after 6 to 15 minutes of connection! I have
> been in contact with Cingular Customer Service about all my calls dropping
> after 6 to 15 minutes of connection with land lines or other cellular
> users. This was duplicated with other users and verified by Cingular that
> Motorola has sent out a quick fix for this problem. It may be a quick fix
> but not acceptable by all.
>
> Problem: when talking to a friend or contact and your connection is
> stationary to one cellsite and exceeds 6 minutes, your connection starts to
> fade away and you drop sound from oneside of the connection. If you hold
> on during the "are you there?" time, you have a 50/50 chance of
> reconnection.
>
> Their Quick Fix: They informed me that all of Motorola phones (my phone is
> a V551) need to be Power Recycled within 3 days or the phone would could
> loose sync. What is means is that we must power-down the phone as if we are
> on an airplane for 15 seconds before we can place the phone in the battery
> charger. This way the phone will re-sync to Cingular network.
>
> I'm appalled at this option no where in the Motorola Manual or Cingular
> website states this to be done. I have requested to exchange my Motorola
> for any other cellular manufacture. All they would do is replace my
> Motorola phone and state that the problem will continue. and I must remember
> to power-down the phone every 3 days or sooner.
>
> My Siemens S46 phones (3 units) that I had for years never needed to be
> power down when used on the ATT /Cingular network. Why now?
>
>
>


As far as Cingular having a network problem, well... I suppose
anything's possible. As far as Moto V551 being culpable in some sort of
nefarious call drop conspiracy, including this rebooting every so often
business - personal experience tells me that's pure BS.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:42:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> On 3/1/05 10:09 PM, in article
> b8aVd.3604$wy3.354@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, "Steve"
> <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Total BS. Same post word for word was posted about a month ago.
>>
>>I hold business conference calls lasting more than an hour or two on V551,
>>as well as V600 and hardly ever have a call drop as described below. That
>>would be 4x-10x per hour.
>
> No. Check www.howardforums.com -> Cingular and search for a post "another
> reason to hate Moto". Apparently if you don't reboot your V551 every couple
> days it will drop after 15 mins.....

I've noticed that, too. I find that powering my phone down every day,
then powering it right back up does the trick. I used to live in North
Dakota, and basically assumed that calls on cellular phones could not
last more than about 15 minutes (well, thinking it was only
theoretically possible). So, when my Moto kept dropping calls, I didn't
think much of it. After consciously rebooting the phone (as it IS a
computer), it has helped, and I hardly ever experience a dropped call
(sometimes I have calls almost three hours long).

TH
March 3, 2005 5:18:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Gee, me and my family must have the only two V551's in the world that don't
exhibit this behavior. Had a 40 min conference call today and call was
solid.

--
Steve
"SneakerFreak" <sneakerfreak@covad.net> wrote in message
news:BE4A9D9D.5B77%sneakerfreak@covad.net...
>
>
>
> On 3/1/05 10:09 PM, in article
> b8aVd.3604$wy3.354@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, "Steve"
> <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Total BS. Same post word for word was posted about a month ago.
>>
>> I hold business conference calls lasting more than an hour or two on
>> V551,
>> as well as V600 and hardly ever have a call drop as described below. That
>> would be 4x-10x per hour.
>
> No. Check www.howardforums.com -> Cingular and search for a post "another
> reason to hate Moto". Apparently if you don't reboot your V551 every
> couple
> days it will drop after 15 mins.....
>
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:07:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On 3/3/05 12:05 AM, in article 42269b2e$0$88041$16895aa@news.airnews.net,
"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:


> I don't know about Steve's situation, but both my 551's have been
> powered up for well over a month now, and every night I recharge
> whichever one I drained during the day. No problems. Again, I'm not
> saying Cingular isn't having problems, I just don't believe any such
> problem, if it exists, is specifically related to Moto V551, or any
> other particular model.

The 3-day reboot issue posted on Howardforums was supposedly straight from
Motorola. I don't have a V551 (I use a T637) so I didn't pay all that close
attention to it. I wonder if it's like the V551 screen issue where it
affects only a certain batch of phones?
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 6:41:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Does anyone believe that this may be particular to the equipment or
signal stregth
of the service provider in certain areas of the US rather then
the phone itself... The V551 phone may be more susceptible to these
differences then other phones...
Only my $.02 worth.... maybe $.01 worth.



On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 07:07:09 -0500, SneakerFreak
<sneakerfreak@covad.net> wrote:

>
>
>
>On 3/3/05 12:05 AM, in article 42269b2e$0$88041$16895aa@news.airnews.net,
>"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>
>
>> I don't know about Steve's situation, but both my 551's have been
>> powered up for well over a month now, and every night I recharge
>> whichever one I drained during the day. No problems. Again, I'm not
>> saying Cingular isn't having problems, I just don't believe any such
>> problem, if it exists, is specifically related to Moto V551, or any
>> other particular model.
>
>The 3-day reboot issue posted on Howardforums was supposedly straight from
>Motorola. I don't have a V551 (I use a T637) so I didn't pay all that close
>attention to it. I wonder if it's like the V551 screen issue where it
>affects only a certain batch of phones?
>
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 2:52:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On 3/3/05 8:09 PM, in article
NyOVd.705$CW2.687@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, "Steve"
<nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:

> never turn it off and plug in the charger every night.
>
> Would think if this was real, some reliable news organization would report
> it.
> Just cause its on Howard Forums doesn't mean its fact.
>
> Maybe someone is pissed at Motorola or trying to drive stock price down. Who
> knows?
No, but the fact that Cingular CS is saying the same things leads some
credibility to it.
March 4, 2005 12:29:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

SneakerFreak wrote:
>
>
> On 3/3/05 8:09 PM, in article
> NyOVd.705$CW2.687@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, "Steve"
> <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:
>
>
>>never turn it off and plug in the charger every night.
>>
>>Would think if this was real, some reliable news organization would report
>>it.
>>Just cause its on Howard Forums doesn't mean its fact.
>>
>>Maybe someone is pissed at Motorola or trying to drive stock price down. Who
>>knows?
>
> No, but the fact that Cingular CS is saying the same things leads some
> credibility to it.
>


Congular CS has credibility? What a concept!!!


--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 9:48:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"SneakerFreak" <sneakerfreak@covad.net> wrote in message
news:BE4D53B5.5E8C%sneakerfreak@covad.net...
SNIP

> No, but the fact that Cingular CS is saying the same things leads some
> credibility to it.
>

I have a Moto V551, never turn it off. I charge it every night but it stays
on. Never had an issue as described in this thread. I make conference calls
from 30-60 mins frequently, never been dropped. Personally I think someone
is feeding you a line of BS. I have had CS people from various companies
repeat Internet Urban Myths over and over only to be eventually proven
false.

cheers
TC
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:30:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I was having the same problems a couple weeks ago with my v551. It happend
on two occassions where I would drop every call I made after about 3
minutes. I went to the Cingular store where I bought the phone from and the
lady told me the same thing. She said basically the phone is like a
computer and with the merger they are updating towers so you need to power
cycle your phone to refresh it. I was and still am very speculative at this
response, but since that day I really have not had any problems and I am
shutting my phone off for about 2 minutes a day. So actually it has seemed
to help. However, I am not sure what really was the cause. Maybe it was
network congestion (but my roommate has Cingular as well and wasn't having
problems that night). I am keeping that 800 number handy though and will be
requesting a replacement if I have another night like I did a couple weeks
ago. So whether there is any truth to the power cycle strategy, I am not
sure, but I can confirm having the dropped call issue and that since doing
the power cycle I have not had any problems.

A different problem I have had though is that every once in awhile when I
charge my phone it will turn itself off. Usually happens when the battery
is really low. Any suggestions? This almost has me calling up for a
replacement as well.


"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:manWd.1580$oO4.929@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "SneakerFreak" <sneakerfreak@covad.net> wrote in message
> news:BE4D53B5.5E8C%sneakerfreak@covad.net...
> SNIP
>
>> No, but the fact that Cingular CS is saying the same things leads some
>> credibility to it.
>>
>
> I have a Moto V551, never turn it off. I charge it every night but it
> stays on. Never had an issue as described in this thread. I make
> conference calls from 30-60 mins frequently, never been dropped.
> Personally I think someone is feeding you a line of BS. I have had CS
> people from various companies repeat Internet Urban Myths over and over
> only to be eventually proven false.
>
> cheers
> TC
>
>
March 8, 2005 10:30:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

PG wrote:

> I was having the same problems a couple weeks ago with my v551. It happend
> on two occassions where I would drop every call I made after about 3
> minutes. I went to the Cingular store where I bought the phone from and the
> lady told me the same thing. She said basically the phone is like a
> computer and with the merger they are updating towers so you need to power
> cycle your phone to refresh it. I was and still am very speculative at this
> response, but since that day I really have not had any problems and I am
> shutting my phone off for about 2 minutes a day. So actually it has seemed
> to help. However, I am not sure what really was the cause. Maybe it was
> network congestion (but my roommate has Cingular as well and wasn't having
> problems that night). I am keeping that 800 number handy though and will be
> requesting a replacement if I have another night like I did a couple weeks
> ago. So whether there is any truth to the power cycle strategy, I am not
> sure, but I can confirm having the dropped call issue and that since doing
> the power cycle I have not had any problems.

The plausibility of this seems buried in the fact that certain
operational functions of all handsets are predicated on software
controls which are provided during the power-up sequence by one's home
service provider - assuming a given handset ever sees it's home network,
instead of spending it's entire life being treated like an orphan in
roaming mode. Having said that, and assuming an operational
relationship, this call-drop issue wouldn't be specifically related to
any particular handset.

OTOH, since the Moto V551 seems to be getting the finger more thn
others, maybe there's something about the V551 that, while not
necessarily a defect per se, is more related on how specific network
updates are implemented on this model. Considering the V551 is ENS
capable, and Cingular's networks are undergoing rampant changes almost
on a nightly basis, maybe power cycling this phone, and possibly others,
just might be the best remedy, at least in the short term.


>
> A different problem I have had though is that every once in awhile when I
> charge my phone it will turn itself off. Usually happens when the battery
> is really low. Any suggestions? This almost has me calling up for a
> replacement as well.
>

All phones have the capability of preventing it's battery from ever
reaching a 0 volt condition, which if allowed to occur, often results in
the life of the battery to become very limited because one (or more)
internal cells reverse polarity. The voltage cut-off level is likely a
tad different between models, but should work similarly on all. Maybe
yours is (or has become) more sensitive to what is considered
acceptable, or maybe for some reason the battery pack is lying about
what's available. Another battery pack should be able answer this.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
!